•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Sun totality, April 8, 2024 thread.

371 replies to this topic

#351 kfiscus

kfiscus

Cosmos

• Loc: Albert Lea, MN, USA

Posted 24 January 2024 - 05:40 PM

75 days to go.

I am starting to get plans ready for my Astronomy Club kids to run my high school's partial eclipse viewing.  We'll have around 78% of the sun covered at max eclipse that Monday afternoon.  My current plan is having my fellow Science teacher overseeing the club kids as they keep our SunSpotter scope on target.  (I'll be in Mazatlan.)  The SunSpotter will be riding on an EQ platform to make life even easier on everyone.  If we are able, the in-house kids' news crew will be sending a live cast into the building and maybe onto YouTube or another platform.

• Diana N, Bob W4, jrussell and 1 other like this

#352 CreatorsHand

CreatorsHand

Mariner 2

• Loc: Marquette, Michigan

Posted 24 January 2024 - 11:51 PM

I have a long history of using Thousand Optical Glass filters.  I have about 4 glass filters back from the days when they sold glass.  I know that they only sell their Solar Lite Film now and they state that is just as good as glass.  I'm sorry, but I respectfully don't agree.  In my testing when I expose for a properly exposed partial phase image, this film leaves a haze around the partial phase images.  I have seen this on images taken by others and when I point it out to them, they are surprised and were wondering why the haze was there.  I DO NOT want to talk people out of buying or using this product and I have respect for the folks at Thousand Oaks Optical. I use Solar Lite film for my finder scopes and casual observing on some gear, but I don't use it for eclipse photography.

I just encourage you to do your own testing, with your own gear set up, on a properly exposed full solar disk image, and see if you see it or not.  Judge your own test images and report back to this thread.  I will be interested to hear.  I am open to hear all opinions.

On your previous posts about using glass solar filters, I was wondering what brand you had been using. Maybe I missed it previously, but it is good to know that you have used Thousand Oaks Optical glass solar filters, as I just picked up a used one of theirs that I should be able to adjust to fit my A-P Traveler;  I didn't have a filter for that as I was initially intending to leave it home. I picked up a Spectrum glass solar filter for my Canon 500mm f/4L telephoto lens, and it will be interesting to see how they compare. I'll have to test it out, if we ever see the Sun...

Paul

#353 foxwoodastronomy

foxwoodastronomy

Vendor - Solar Eclipse Timer

• Vendors
  • Loc: Alabama

Posted 25 January 2024 - 01:48 PM

Paul,

I have used Thousand Oaks Optical an Seymour Solar glass filters.  I have found that the old Thousand Oaks glass filters create an image that is just very slightly more orange than Seymour Solar and Thousand Oaks transmits a tiny bit less light.

I have not tested the two directly side by side, but I might.

I don't have a Spectrum Telescope glass filter, but I might get one just to test.  I mentioned in a previous post that prior to 2017 Seymour and Spectrum were getting their metalized glass form the same supplier.  I don't know if that is the case now.

Gordon

• CreatorsHand and SkyBear like this

#354 kfiscus

kfiscus

Cosmos

Posted 29 January 2024 - 01:51 AM

70 days.

• PrestonE, JOEinCO, jrussell and 1 other like this

#355 BOSS3128

BOSS3128

Viking 1

• Loc: Northeast TN

Posted 29 January 2024 - 04:36 PM

Be here before you know it!

• Look at the sky 101 likes this

#356 kfiscus

kfiscus

Cosmos

Posted 29 January 2024 - 06:09 PM

Started packing lists and to-do lists.  Getting ready for four days of a sub teacher for my classes.  I'm hoping to teach from Mazatlan via YouTube on the day of the eclipse since I'll have totality done before the max eclipse even reaches Minnesota.  I'm also planning on my astronomy club kids running a webcast of our deep partial.

Edited by kfiscus, 29 January 2024 - 06:34 PM.

• Look at the sky 101 and CreatorsHand like this

#357 Katharine

Katharine

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 29 January 2024 - 11:13 PM

In general, traffic isn't too bad BEFORE the eclipse.  There isn't a lot of time pressure unless there is a sudden downturn in the weather.  AFTER the eclipse, I'd recommend just staying where you are for many hours, if possible.  Everyone is relieved and has the idea that they're going to beat the traffic if they get going fast enough.  They become the problem they sought to avoid.

Not too worried about day of, luckily.  Just want to know that I'm going to get to the airport in time the next day.

#358 kfiscus

kfiscus

Cosmos

Posted 30 January 2024 - 12:16 AM

Not too worried about day of, luckily.  Just want to know that I'm going to get to the airport in time the next day.

I can't imagine crowds making you miss a flight the next day.  How far away will you be from the airport?

#359 Katharine

Katharine

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 30 January 2024 - 10:13 PM

I can't imagine crowds making you miss a flight the next day.  How far away will you be from the airport?

About a hundred miles. 

#360 kfiscus

kfiscus

Cosmos

Posted 31 January 2024 - 05:27 PM

I'd just plan on spending the rest of the day at your observing site (presuming it's clear and you didn't have to go farther) and relax in place.  Traffic should resolve itself several hours later.  The bigger the cities, the longer the wait.  Good luck!

• Look at the sky 101 and Bigred77 like this

#361 CreatorsHand

CreatorsHand

Mariner 2

Posted 03 February 2024 - 06:59 PM

Paul,

I have used Thousand Oaks Optical an Seymour Solar glass filters.  I have found that the old Thousand Oaks glass filters create an image that is just very slightly more orange than Seymour Solar and Thousand Oaks transmits a tiny bit less light.

I have not tested the two directly side by side, but I might.

I don't have a Spectrum Telescope glass filter, but I might get one just to test.  I mentioned in a previous post that prior to 2017 Seymour and Spectrum were getting their metalized glass form the same supplier.  I don't know if that is the case now.

Gordon

Gordon,

I had a chance to test out my filters today and I thought that I would share my findings. No editing has been done at all on these images, except for conversion from RAW images and an equal crop. Hopefully they will help you and others that are preparing for the eclipse figure out exposures. I used a Thousand Oaks Optical glass filter, a Spectrum Telescopes glass filter, a Thousand Oaks Optical SolarLite filter, and my original solar filter I made from Thousand Oaks Optical black polymer filter material I purchased in 2016. The Spectrum Telescope filter appears to give the cleanest edge on the Sun. They were all tested on my Canon 500mm f/4L filter on a 7D Mark II. While these will demonstrate how the filters compare, unfortunately I didn't realize I had a 1.4x extender on my 500mm f/4, which I didn't use in 2017, and they were shot at f/5.6, not f/8 like I did in 2017, so I can't compare them with my images of totality from 2017. I plan to reshoot without the 1.4x extender and at f/8, but I thought that I would share these now. I tried to pick one from each filter that were an equivalent exposure. You can see the color bleed on the Thousand Oaks Optical SolarLite film very easily here, but I also have found that it is fairly easy to remove in Lightroom with the Dehaze slider.

Paul

Thousand Oaks Optical Glass 1/400 sec

T O Opt Glass-0484G.jpg

Spectrum Telescope Glass 1/125 sec

Spectrum Glass-0493G.jpg

Thousand Oaks Optical SolarLite Film 1/50 sec

T O Opt Film-0506G.jpg

Thousand Oaks Optical Black Polymer Film (homemade) 1/25 sec

T O Opt Film-2016-0520G.jpg

• SporadicGazer likes this

#362 foxwoodastronomy

foxwoodastronomy

• Vendors

Posted 03 February 2024 - 08:56 PM

Paul,

Thanks for sharing those.  There are exactly what I expected.  You have reenforced the research I have done in the past, thanks. I love Thousand Oaks Optical Glass, where did you find yours?  There are not selling new glass filters right now correct?

I think your Spectrum at 1/125 image is lighter than your Thousand Oaks at 1/400.  So, I bet your Spectrum at 1/400 would be extremely close to the Thousand Oaks.  I like the exposre of the Thousnad Oaks, it has nice limb darkening.

As I expected the Solar Lite is horrible.  And the black polymer was never designed for photography and is just as bad as the Solar Lite.

Remember, using the extender or not, does affect the exposure comparison through time because stops can always be added or subtracted to match the final exposure.  The extender and the extra layers of glass could affect image quality.  I am including a link to my custom Master Stop Chart PDF download. https://www.solarecl...erStopChart.pdf

Oh!  And remember, the way I teach eclipse exposures with glass filters:  The exposure for your balanced full solar disk with the filter would expose for mid/inner corona during totality when the filter is off.  So right now, you know the light gathering behavior of your system and you can work off that.

Gordon

Edited by foxwoodastronomy, 03 February 2024 - 09:07 PM.

• CreatorsHand likes this

#363 CreatorsHand

CreatorsHand

Mariner 2

Posted 03 February 2024 - 11:52 PM

Gordon,

You are welcome. I found someone selling one on Astromart. It is a little large for my A-P Traveler, but I think I can make it work, and I wanted to try one out. I believe that you are correct that Thousand Oaks Optical are not selling them new anymore.

It was a tough call between the 1/125 sec image and the 1/160 sec image comparing them side by side on my 24" monitors, but my impression was the 1/200 sec image was definitely darker. I went back and alternated between the TO filter and each of the other two, and the 1/125 sec image was slightly lighter and the 1/160 sec image was about the same amount darker than the Thousand Oaks filter image, so the correct match is between those two. I have attached those two along with the Thousand Oaks filter image. Based on that, the Thousand Oaks filter lets more light through than the Spectrum Telescope filter by about 1 1/3 stop, and maybe a little more. I actually like the Spectrum Telescope filter images a little better, as the Thousand Oaks filter image has a dark orange rim around the Sun that the Spectrum Telescope filter image doesn't have; the Spectrum Telescope filter image looks more natural to me, even if the filter does give a darker image.

I want to reshoot with the filters at f/8 on my 500mm and without the extender, as I don't know how that affects the exposure, and I will eventually practice with the filter on the Traveler as well to make a final determination. A the moment the Sun doesn't get high enough to clear the trees in my yard, so I have to go elsewhere.

Thousand Oaks Optical Glass 1/400 sec

T O Opt Glass-0484G.jpg

Spectrum Telescope Glass 1/160 sec

Spectrum Glass-0492G.jpg

Spectrum Telescope Glass 1/200 sec

Spectrum Glass-0491G.jpg

#364 foxwoodastronomy

foxwoodastronomy

• Vendors

Posted 04 February 2024 - 06:41 AM

CreatorsHand, all of the images you posted are acceptable.  The full disk exposure has some personal preference for the final choice.  The only important thing is to make sure the exposure you choose preserves some natural limb darkening.

#365 kfiscus

kfiscus

Cosmos

Posted 08 February 2024 - 09:04 AM

60 days to go.

• R Botero, jrussell, Look at the sky 101 and 2 others like this

#366 R Botero

R Botero

Fly Me to the Moon

• -----
  • Loc: Kent, England

Posted 08 February 2024 - 11:03 AM

60 days to go.

cool.gif cool.gif cool.gif

• SkyBear likes this

#367 SkyBear

SkyBear

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 08 February 2024 - 03:07 PM

Hello, 

Newbie here and Im trying to shore up buying my 15 x 70 binocular filters before they are gone. 

I had decided on glass filters, orange, and was talking to sales person (40 years a science teacher and a big bino user himself) who advised me to get the $19.00 US mylar foam ones because expensive ones, glass or mylar, won't add anything to my view. He said it's the same stuff the paper ones are made of. I am stunned. And confused. Why not paste those on the end of my binos, since they don't add anything to my view?

I would appreciate your thoughts. 

Edited by SkyBear, 08 February 2024 - 03:08 PM.

#368 Diana N

Diana N

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Omaha, Nebraska

Posted 08 February 2024 - 03:12 PM

Stopping down the aperture of your binoculars WILL affect your view, and not for the better.  You'll see less detail, as your binocular's resolution will be lower.  But full-aperture filters made from mylar/plastic filter material that is certified to be safe for solar viewing will give you just as good a view as what you get from glass filters (and they are cheaper to replace should they become damaged).

#369 SporadicGazer

SporadicGazer

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: SF Bay Area, CA, USA

Posted 08 February 2024 - 03:51 PM

Hello, 

Newbie here and Im trying to shore up buying my 15 x 70 binocular filters before they are gone. 

I had decided on glass filters, orange, and was talking to sales person (40 years a science teacher and a big bino user himself) who advised me to get the $19.00 US mylar foam ones because expensive ones, glass or mylar, won't add anything to my view. He said it's the same stuff the paper ones are made of. I am stunned. And confused. Why not paste those on the end of my binos, since they don't add anything to my view?

I would appreciate your thoughts.

I wish you had included a link so I was sure I understood the question, but....

I think your question actually has two independent components:  The filter material, and the mount.

As far as quality of the filter material, any reputable filter will safely allow you to watch the partial phases leading to totality.  During totality of course you don't use a filter at all.  Then there are receding partial phases where you use the filter again.

However, there are many things to see on the photosphere, the Sun's visual surface, using white light filters not only during the eclipse.  For those you will see more with better filter material.  General consensus is that Baader AstroSolar Visual Film gives the best view.  I know Thousand Oaks has their fans and their current product is Solarlite Polymer film.  (Baader shows white, as the sun truly is.  Solarlite tints the view orange, as some people prefer.)  The black mylar and such give less resolution.  Also glass filters are (often) not optically flat and can distort the image.  (I don't buy glass is sturdier.  The film is tough and doesn't crack.  Both are subject to scratches.  You just have to take a little care with either.)  So I think it is worthwhile getting Baader film, but I enjoy watching the Sun in general.

The other issue is the filter mount.  Cardboard can work well, if it is snugly fitted and carefully held on.  It is clearly cheaper both in materials and in manufacturing.  Usually they come with the safe, but less sharp film.  If you are only using this once for the eclipse, go for cardboard & mylar (American Paper Optics, under many many labels, seems to be the biggest player in this market. Rainbow Symphony also make eclipse glasses and has a few cardboard front filters.)

But if you expect to be interested in more regular use, I think the nicer filter mounts would be worth it.  They're sturdier, attach better, and in general use better film for better views.  AstroZap, Baader themselves, and Kendrick Astro all make aluminum holders and use Baader AstroSolar film.  If you're really set on an orange view, Thousand Oaks makes aluminum holders with their Solarlite film that should also work well.

Good luck, (and get your order in!  Only 60 days smile.gif )

#370 Look at the sky 101

Look at the sky 101

Gemini

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Citizen of the earth .

Posted 08 February 2024 - 08:26 PM

60 days to go.

oh yesssssss sir

#371 aeajr

aeajr

James Webb Space Telescope

• Vendors
  • Loc: Long Island, New York, USA

Posted 17 February 2024 - 09:39 AM

I have a motel reserved just on the edge of the totality path, 99.5%. I am situated at the junction of several major highways.  I have a 1 hour run to the center line straight North.  Or I can run as much as 5 hours North or South on interstate level roads to get close to the center line and the best sky available.  Will leave me with an 8 to 14 hour run home so likely find a place to stay the night after and I don't have to be home the next day so I have plenty of flexibility. 

• R Botero, Rickycardo, Alan D. Whitman and 3 others like this

#372 kfiscus

kfiscus

Cosmos

Posted 18 February 2024 - 03:09 PM

50 days.

• chvvkumar, jrussell, Look at the sky 101 and 1 other like this

Reply to this topic

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics