•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Sun totality, April 8, 2024 thread.

• Please log in to reply
136 replies to this topic

#126 Rickycardo

Rickycardo

Desdenova

• Loc: 3rd Rock

Posted 26 June 2022 - 10:16 AM

We're hoping to combine this with the balloon festival in Albuquerque in October. Since we travel via RV we look for RV parks along the way. I think if you're not planning this at least a year out you'll find yourself struggling to find anything good.

• PhilPhree and Look at the sky 101 like this

#127 Seldom

Seldom

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Mid Hudson Valley

Posted 26 June 2022 - 11:07 AM

I'm concerned with topography and trees.  In Idaho Falls in 2017 I lucked out.  Found my motel with a big empty parking lot and no significant vegetation.  Guess I'll have to rely on Google Earth.

• Look at the sky 101 likes this

#128 George9

George9

Vanguard

Posted 26 June 2022 - 02:34 PM

The trick, I think, is to pick a motel/hotel that is right under the path. They can be contacted directly and you can book a room or two well in advance. Then You have to watch the airlines when about a year out sometimes you can only get tickets 6 or 7 months in advance. Car rental should be available at the same time. Not like pre 9-11 days when you could get a travel agent to help. (But maybe they can?)

That's what I have done for the Annular Eclipse as it passes through Albuquerque. But I am Driving down from Denver. So I only had to book the hotel.

I know some people booked the 2017 way out in advance only to find that they got cancelled as it got closer. As far as I know, it worked out okay in the end, but don't be surprised if there are cancellations, and keep track as it gets closer.

George

#129 Katharine

Katharine

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 26 June 2022 - 02:59 PM

The trick, I think, is to pick a motel/hotel that is right under the path. They can be contacted directly and you can book a room or two well in advance. Then You have to watch the airlines when about a year out sometimes you can only get tickets 6 or 7 months in advance. Car rental should be available at the same time. Not like pre 9-11 days when you could get a travel agent to help. (But maybe they can?)

That's what I have done for the Annular Eclipse as it passes through Albuquerque. But I am Driving down from Denver. So I only had to book the hotel.

We're hoping to combine this with the balloon festival in Albuquerque in October. Since we travel via RV we look for RV parks along the way. I think if you're not planning this at least a year out you'll find yourself struggling to find anything good.

That's kind of my worry, that I might manage to book one part of the trip, and then find out I can't book another-- find a campsite but then not be able to get there, or get a flight and then there's nowhere to stay (and I suspect many campgrounds are less likely to book way out than hotels are), or there's no rental car available, or something.

I know some people booked the 2017 way out in advance only to find that they got cancelled as it got closer. As far as I know, it worked out okay in the end, but don't be surprised if there are cancellations, and keep track as it gets closer.

George

That's my other worry... that I'll book a place now, and by the time comes it'll turn out they lost my reservation in all thsi time and it'll be too late to do something else.

I probably just worry too much, though...

I'm concerned with topography and trees.  In Idaho Falls in 2017 I lucked out.  Found my motel with a big empty parking lot and no significant vegetation.  Guess I'll have to rely on Google Earth.

Yes, that's another consideration as well (especially as I'm thinking of campgrounds-- they'll likely be in forested areas).

#130 Rickycardo

Rickycardo

Desdenova

• Loc: 3rd Rock

Posted 27 June 2022 - 08:34 AM

The best part of RVing is we're taking our hotel room with us. In 2017 we camped outside the area of totality but that day took our RV and equipment and drove deeper into the rec area to find a good clear spot, a cemetery actually. Having the RV meant I had electrical power to run everything. I'm going a lot lighter this time but taking your home with you give you lots more options.

#131 PhilPhree

PhilPhree

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Golden, Colorado USA

Posted 27 June 2022 - 09:15 AM

It's a window of opportunity, you only need the right window through the trees.

In 2017 I set up camp the day before by searching during the same hours as I would need the next day. Found an open campsite surrounded by tall trees but sure was a sunny spot! Set up a scope to test and see where would be best etc. and it turns out that that opening worked and had the advantage of appearing to have to many trees. I have an alt azimuth compass that would be useful to just have in your pocket. We use them in Satellite Services to gauge line of sight to Synchronous Orbiting Satellites. Couldn't find my Brunton model but here's a slick one and here's the Military style. 

It's a window of opportunity, you only need the right window through the trees. 

• Katharine and Look at the sky 101 like this

#132 Seldom

Seldom

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Mid Hudson Valley

Posted 27 June 2022 - 10:06 AM

In Idaho Falls in 2017, I recorded first contact at ~4:16 PM UT and fourth contact at ~6:56 PM UT.  That's a little over 2.5 hours.  Since the sun moves ~15 degrees per hour If you want to observe the full sequence your window in the trees  has to be perfectly aligned with the sun's path and it must include at least 37 degrees of sky.

Times listed in Espenak's road atlas for 2024 are similar.

• R Botero and Look at the sky 101 like this

#133 Look at the sky 101

Look at the sky 101

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Citizen of the earth .

Posted 05 July 2022 - 08:02 PM

Silly question, but how are you all booking this far out?  I look at airline online booking and can't see dates more than a year out-- I assume I can do it by calling the airline directly but I was sort of hoping to be able to compare prices and get an idea of cost without having to call them all.

I found one campground in an area I might be interested in (I'm sure whatever hotels will cost then, it'll be too rich for my blood-- hoping the campgrounds aren't as well), but their website says they only book three months in advance (obviously there are others to investigate but I'm sure that one won't be the only one where I run into this problem).  Haven't looked into car rental yet but I assume it'll be similar.

Are there tricks to it?  I've never tried to book travel this far in advance before, so I've never had to think about whether there's a "too early."  It doesn't really surprise me that one can't do this indefinitely into the future, but are there things I should be considering?

Hi,

Here is how I made my reservation.
I called the hotel in Mexico and explained that the eclipse was through the city where they are located.
I did the same thing with the airline.
After this negotiation I left a deposit and my reservation was completed.

• Rickycardo likes this

#134 swsantos

swsantos

Viking 1

• Loc: Rhode Island

Posted 06 July 2022 - 09:15 AM

Anyone have any experiences with a tour like one of those Sky & Telescope Eclipse Tours? 

#135 rigel123

rigel123

ISS

• Loc: SW Ohio

Posted 06 July 2022 - 09:47 AM

Anyone have any experiences with a tour like one of those Sky & Telescope Eclipse Tours? 

My brother has gone on two of the tours sponsored by Astronomy and enjoyed those immensely.  One to China and the other to Chile.  They were a bit above my pay grade. wink.gif

#136 dhkaiser

dhkaiser

Surveyor 1

Posted 06 July 2022 - 10:16 AM

Yes we did the Caribbean solar eclipse tour with Sky & Tel.  A lot of fun and well done.  Ship maneuvered to clear skies for the eclipse.

#137 Katharine

Katharine

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 10 July 2022 - 01:28 PM

Hi,

Here is how I made my reservation.
I called the hotel in Mexico and explained that the eclipse was through the city where they are located.
I did the same thing with the airline.
After this negotiation I left a deposit and my reservation was completed.

I'm thinking this is what I'll do, and hope they let me.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics