•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Questar Lunar Eclipse Images

Eclipse Imaging Maksutov Moon
  • Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 RobertPettengill

RobertPettengill

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Austin, Texas

Posted 20 November 2021 - 10:03 AM

I've been busy with DSOs (with a RedCat), nightcaps, and some computer stuff.  Yesterday's eclipse was nice excuse to get back to the moon and Questar.   Some images from Austin of the lunar eclipse.  At 97% total it was nearly as much fun as a total lunar eclipse

Questar 89mm and Sony a6300

First one is just a single frame of the point of maximum eclipse:

NotSoPartialLunarEclipse 2021 2048.jpg

The next is a 9 exposure HDR about an hour past maximum

NotSoPartialLunarEclipse1010 2021 2048.jpg

• davidmcgo, Bill Jensen, BobStarr and 20 others like this

#2 Achernar

Achernar

Voyager 1

• Loc: Mobile, Alabama, USA

Posted 20 November 2021 - 10:11 AM

Very good images, especially the one of the moon at maximum eclipse. I was going to photograph the eclipse myself, but a passing front brought wind that would have rendered it impossible to do so. I did get a nice view of the later half of the eclipse with my binoculars, and your images match what I saw through them.

Taras

• RobertPettengill likes this

#3 emh52

emh52

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Tucson Arizona

Posted 20 November 2021 - 05:21 PM

The Q view from Tucson, lots of haze,  I thought the eclipse was quite dark, this image is my attempt to match my eye view

Full resolution:  https://flic.kr/p/2mKTAPv     M45 was an easy spot during max eclipse which was nice.

Attached Thumbnails

• The Q view.jpg

• Steve C., R Botero, RobertPettengill and 4 others like this

#4 William Whitaker

William Whitaker

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: NE Tennessee

Posted 20 November 2021 - 05:36 PM

Thank you for sharing those images. Both quite nice, but I agree with Achernar that the maximum eclipse image is the clear winner here. If it were mine, I would print it BIG and hang it on a wall in my living room so that it becomes the focal point of the room.

Of course, I'm a lunatic from way back and the moon just does something to me (although I haven't noticed any additional facial hair of late!)

For me, the moon is a point of particular fascination, not only from an astronomical perspective, but from a poetic (and romantic) one. I follow the phases from night to night as I would the days of the week. It's just part of my life. And the sight of a full moon rising red through the denuded trees of autumn is a truly moving sight.

Sorry, I'm rambling this morning as I write!

My point (at least, initially) is that I was totally aware that the moon was full. But as the day had been cloudy, rainy and raw, I was a bit surprised when I walked outside in early evening to find a beautiful blinding full moon hanging in the southeastern sky which, after the earlier rain was crystalline in its clarity.

But I didn't know about the pending eclipse until I ran across that information online. Unfortunately I really need my night's sleep, so didn't get to watch the spectacle except through the windows and the trees above a couple of times when I got up in the night.

So I do appreciate you sharing your fine images with us. And it reminds me yet once again of how much I want someday to own a Questar!

• RobertPettengill likes this

#5 vrotondi

vrotondi

Vendor -Pier-Tech Observatories

• ***--
  • Vendors

Posted 21 November 2021 - 09:46 AM

Is the Sony camera a special edition for Astro imaging, or is it the standard camera? I have a sony A7r3 and I am wondering if I can use it in the same way?

Vito

#6 spereira

spereira

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • Loc: Bedford, NH

Posted 21 November 2021 - 01:14 PM

Gorgeous images!

Many thanks to both Robert and emh for sharing them!

smp

• JamesMStephens likes this

#7 RobertPettengill

RobertPettengill

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 November 2021 - 12:53 AM

Is the Sony camera a special edition for Astro imaging, or is it the standard camera? I have a sony A7r3 and I am wondering if I can use it in the same way?

Vito

Just the standard a6300.  I like it with the Questar for the full lunar disk, because the moon fills the frame with just enough border for safety.  It also samples the image at higher resolution than my Sony a7iii.  No Astro IR mods on either, I have a cooled astro camera for that that I use with a small refractor.  The newer Sony's have one great feature for astrophotography, they can be powered (not just charged) by USB.  I use a USB battery pack to run the camera and never have to worry about running down the battery.  

• vrotondi likes this

#8 RobertPettengill

RobertPettengill

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 November 2021 - 12:58 AM

Here is a link to an animation of the event (single unprocessed frames).  It's too big for cloudy nights so just a link:

http://astronomy.rob...animated720.gif

and some more info

http://astronomy.rob...blog211122.html

;rob

• vrotondi, Johninuk, Spikey131 and 3 others like this

#9 Spikey131

Spikey131

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 24 November 2021 - 06:46 AM

Awesome, Rob!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Eclipse, Imaging, Maksutov, Moon

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics