•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

10" f9 APO

• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

#26 leviathan

leviathan

Apollo

• Loc: Azerbaijan

Posted 25 November 2021 - 10:37 AM

Best thing about this is that we will get DPAC test of it. Right, Jeff ? grin.gif

• Bomber Bob, fate187 and iseegeorgesstar like this

#27 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

ISS

• Loc: The Swamp, LA (Lower Alabama)

Posted 25 November 2021 - 10:51 AM

DPAC doesn't Lie.

#28 Jeff B

Jeff B

Cosmos

Posted 25 November 2021 - 11:00 AM

Don't want one? Don't buy one.
I started this thread to celebrate a friend's dream telescope . Life is short! Jeff built my 8" refractor, studied astrophysics with Neil Armstrong, and is a very giving person to Ohio amateur astronomy. I'm lucky to have met him and I'm real lucky I will get to look through this TEC when it arrives.
Maybe y'all could throw shade in another forum?

Thanks Nick!  Happy Thanksgiving!

Yeah, it took 18 posts before the annoying and inevitable  "...for the money, XX or YY scope makes more sense." comment and thanks for calling it out.  

I'm not getting any younger, my observatory is being built (BTW, how's yours coming along in those great dark skies Nick?), I could swing it if I sold a bunch of stuff off, which I'm in the process of doing, I've got some lead time, and Yuri is great to work with, so why not.   I'm not getting any younger!  

But for me, there is something so very special and satisfying about the experience of owning and using a big refractor in my own observatory on my own residential lot.   Going out, un-clamping the roof, rolling it off (to the north BTW), turning it on, slewing and looking...all in less than 5 minutes if I take my time.  A sublime experience and, I can tell by the postings of others with large refractors, I'm not alone in how I feel.

Is it logical?  No. 

Is it expensive?  Yes.  

But that's what I want.

Jeff

• Paul Hyndman, zjc26138, 3 i Guy and 24 others like this

#29 PKDfan

PKDfan

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Edmonton

Posted 25 November 2021 - 11:36 AM

My heart is palpitating iregularily at the merest hint of imagining looking through such .....sublimity.

Wish I could grab a look for life with such an epic tube!

I'd never pry my eyes away from it.

Bookmarked.

Trepidasciously hoping to find medicine for my bad ticker with photos?

On second thought no no unsubscribe!

Cs & Gs

#30 vahe

vahe

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Houston, Texas

Posted 25 November 2021 - 11:54 AM

I'm not getting any younger,

We all face the inevitable, The old age is brutal. Some years ago I had to let go of my favorite 10" F/20 TEC Mak, just too heavy and no longer manageable, at least I am glad that I enjoyed the spectacular views of this Mak for nearly 20 years.

Vahe

• Jeff B, Astrojensen, gnowellsct and 4 others like this

#31 Jeff B

Jeff B

Cosmos

Posted 25 November 2021 - 12:01 PM

Thanks everyone.  This has been an interesting process.

I have been thrilled with the performance of my TEC200ED and it has always delivered superb images.  But I also had a truly excellent 11" f7 Parallax newtonian with one of Carl's mirrors sitting right next to it.  And I've made extensive direct comparisons between them.  The observing experiences with each are similar but also rather different.  Visually, only during times with excellent seeing and when everything was working just right with the newtonian (meaning collimation and cooling), did its larger aperture stick out in terms of brightness, detail rendition and color fidelity (The TEC is slightly "warm" in comparison but also does the low level contrast thing really well).   But in terms of the physical observing experience, the refractor was hands down my favorite.  I like the comfort of being seated, something I could do all the time with the refractor and most, but not all, of the time with the newt.  I also had to be very selective and aware of the wind direction and where my body was relative to the open tube of the newt, lest my body heat would screw things up.  The refractor objective, however, is well above the ground.  But, man, I like the aperture leverage of the 11".  But I much prefer the physical experience of using the refractor.  I want both!! 

A big but APO gives me both.  And will actually simplify my life a bit.

Jeff 

• RogerLaureys, 3 i Guy, John M. and 9 others like this

#32 Rodgerraubach

Rodgerraubach

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Loveland, Colorado

Posted 25 November 2021 - 12:09 PM

Under dark skies and in good seeing, this new scope should be a monster at tracking down the fainter Palomar Globular clusters. While I was still living on the ranch in Wyoming, I was able to bag quite a few with my TMB 203 f/7 triplet. Palomar 12 was kinda the limit with an 8" (confirmed by viewing with a 12.5" f/5 Discovery Telescopes Dobsonian with a Terry O mirror). This is truly a dream telescope, so don't throw shade at what is the telescope of a lifetime for an amateur observatory.

#33 Rodgerraubach

Rodgerraubach

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Loveland, Colorado

Posted 25 November 2021 - 12:45 PM

I just read some of the earlier posts in this thread. Observing convenience is "where it's at" as we age. I found that the Parallax 14.5" equatorially mounted Newtonian was actually a PITA to use. I immediately regretted selling my TMB 203 f/7 in order to make room for the monster, and used it far less than I did my Discovery Telescopes Dob. out on the deck instead of in the ROR observatory.

I really didn't like using a stepladder to reach the eyepiece, since I have arthritic hips these days.

#34 Astrojensen

Astrojensen

Hubble

• Loc: Bornholm, Denmark

Posted 25 November 2021 - 01:43 PM

Is it logical?  No. 

Is it expensive?  Yes.  

But that's what I want.

Jeff

From what I can deduce from your posts, there are actually many logical reasons for you to choose a refractor, chief among them convenience and ergonomics, but also better thermal behavior. 

The only logical reason against, as far as I can see, is cost, but if you've got that one covered, I see no reason not to proceed fulfilling a lifelong dream. I wish I can do the same, before it gets too late. 

Clear skies!

Thomas, Denmark

• Jeff B, weis14, daquad and 5 others like this

#35 Suavi

Suavi

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: 20.25 deg South of the Equator

Posted 25 November 2021 - 02:47 PM

Congratulations Jeff. I can't even imagine how excited you must be about the new beautiful telescope. We look forward to seeing the pics of the beauty and reading your impressions and experiences from long stargazing sessions.

As for the shadow-casters, forgive them flowerred.gif

#36 John M.

John M.

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 25 November 2021 - 03:07 PM

Hi Jeff - As a fellow TEC200’er, I can begin to imagine the views you’ll have with your new scope!  I hope you enjoy it in good health and for many years to come.  And, thanks for your helpfulness for my questions.  Happy Thanksgiving!!  John 

• 39.1N84.5W and blueskydown like this

#37 SandyHouTex

SandyHouTex

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Houston, Texas, USA

Posted 25 November 2021 - 04:39 PM

From what I can deduce from your posts, there are actually many logical reasons for you to choose a refractor, chief among them convenience and ergonomics, but also better thermal behavior. 

The only logical reason against, as far as I can see, is cost, but if you've got that one covered, I see no reason not to proceed fulfilling a lifelong dream. I wish I can do the same, before it gets too late. 

Clear skies!

Thomas, Denmark

I would add a huge mount and observatory to that.

#38 John Fitzgerald

John Fitzgerald

In Focus

• Loc: near Elkins and Pettigrew, Arkansas

Posted 25 November 2021 - 06:43 PM

I would add a huge mount and observatory to that.

A 10" TEC like that in an Ash dome would be ideal for my double star observing.......if only I started playing lottery, and won big.crazy.gif

• Rick Runcie likes this

#39 39.1N84.5W

39.1N84.5W

He asked for it

• topic starter
  • Loc: cincinnati

Posted 25 November 2021 - 07:34 PM

From knowing you, Jeff, it is logical. :)
  • Jeff B and Astrojensen like this

#40 A. Viegas

A. Viegas

Gemini

• Loc: New York City/ CT

Posted 25 November 2021 - 08:35 PM

Alas… 3 kids in private colleges, and one heading to medical school. If not for that I could have bought 10 of those 10” refractors😀😀😀

Al

Edited by A. Viegas, 25 November 2021 - 08:51 PM.

• Scott in NC likes this

#41 John Fitzgerald

John Fitzgerald

In Focus

• Loc: near Elkins and Pettigrew, Arkansas

Posted 25 November 2021 - 08:50 PM

Alas… 3 kids in private colleges, and one heading to medical school. If not for that I could have bought 10 of those 10” refractors

Al

I hope you get the appreciation you deserve, when the schooling's all over.  Maybe the future doctor will buy you the 10" apo.tongue2.gif

• Astrojensen, leviathan, CharLakeAstro and 1 other like this

#42 Jeff B

Jeff B

Cosmos

Posted 25 November 2021 - 10:12 PM

Alas… 3 kids in private colleges, and one heading to medical school. If not for that I could have bought 10 of those 10” refractors

Al

Well Al, you did the right thing for your kids even if it meant you had to get only 4 of the 10" jobbies instead of the 10 you wanted.  grin.gif

Jeff

• 39.1N84.5W, payner and Kunama like this

#43 Kunama

Kunama

Aussie at large

Posted 26 November 2021 - 01:13 AM

Congrats Jeff on what will surely be a fine scope !!!

(In my case..... 2 kids with 5 Uni degrees between them = Zero big refractors for me)

• Jeff B and Bomber Bob like this

#44 scooke

scooke

Ranger 4

Posted 26 November 2021 - 07:01 PM

The price is high for a big, high quality APO but since they don't go down in value as much as other purchases and in fact could go up in value, I like to think you are just converting your savings into another form.  I've bought used most of the time and rarely have I lost money when the time came to sell so you're getting all that enjoyment almost for free in the long run.  What a great hobby we have.

I would love to take a look through a 10" APO.  Maybe Yuri will bring one down to the WSP again next year.

• StarAlert likes this

#45 stuart keenor

stuart keenor

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 27 November 2021 - 08:04 AM

I too will take delivery of a large 9” lzos apo soon been using big maksutov scopes for years ( still have 2 zen / intes micro) but a view through a large apo many years ago got me hooked, just didn’t have the financing to get one at the time , but I do now so 🤞in a few weeks I will have one , may even do a few comparisons with my maks ! Jeff your posts on these large apos is to blame !!!!! But I’m sure it will be everything I know it will be
Stu
  • 39.1N84.5W, Jeff B, weis14 and 4 others like this

#46 Jeff B

Jeff B

Cosmos

Posted 27 November 2021 - 08:39 PM

Congrats Jeff on what will surely be a fine scope !!!

(In my case..... 2 kids with 5 Uni degrees between them = Zero big refractors for me)

Well Matt, if you give me their e-mail addresses, I'll nag, harass and lay such a guilt trip on them that they will gladly buy you one.  grin.gif

Jeff

• stuart keenor likes this

#47 Astrohobby

Astrohobby

Vostok 1

• Loc: Düsseldorf (Germany)

Posted 29 November 2021 - 11:46 AM

Gents, sorry, but things were delayed.

Jeff

Hi Jeff, congrats to your outstanding scope. A dream for all of us - let the history of all further steps flow.

Have a great evening  Oliver

#48 Astrohobby

Astrohobby

Vostok 1

Posted 29 November 2021 - 11:56 AM

Yeah, it took 18 posts before the annoying and inevitable  "...for the money, XX or YY scope makes more sense." comment and thanks for calling it out.  

I'm not getting any younger, my observatory is being built (BTW, how's yours coming along in those great dark skies Nick?), I could swing it if I sold a bunch of stuff off, which I'm in the process of doing, I've got some lead time, and Yuri is great to work with, so why not.   I'm not getting any younger!  

But for me, there is something so very special and satisfying about the experience of owning and using a big refractor in my own observatory on my own residential lot.   Going out, un-clamping the roof, rolling it off (to the north BTW), turning it on, slewing and looking...all in less than 5 minutes if I take my time.  A sublime experience and, I can tell by the postings of others with large refractors, I'm not alone in how I feel.

Is it logical?  No. 

Is it expensive?  Yes.  

But that's what I want.

Jeff

Hi Jeff, no need to express why you are doing it! It´s just great and an obsy a need. Minimize time to prepare and just observing. Congrats on you newest purchase - just keep us updated! Cheers  Oliver

#49 Astrohobby

Astrohobby

Vostok 1

Posted 29 November 2021 - 12:21 PM

Is it logical?  No. 

Is it expensive?  Yes.  

But that's what I want.

Jeff

Hi Jeff, I had 14 years ago the thought/mind trouble of buying a small house pretty close to the beach (800 meters) on the Isle of Mallorca /Balerars/Spain instead of renting for the vacation season! My decision went what my heard told me. I`m still satisfied and make it sense? Could I go cheaper while renting and so on? Yes for sure - but I life my dream! The answer is: Still satisfied all over the years and never regreted! You made the same just bought your dream - enjoy what will be coming (and your final scope) with your outstanding TEC! So never look back and just enjoy and no need for explainations - cheers  Oliver

Edited by Astrohobby, 29 November 2021 - 12:31 PM.

• Paul Hyndman and leviathan like this

#50 Jeff B

Jeff B

Cosmos

Posted 29 November 2021 - 03:14 PM

Thanks for the support and kind words everybody.  

My only real thing that gave me a bit of pause is the fact that TEC and APM 10" F9 triplets are both air spaced designs and I have some mild concerns regarding the thermodynamics of such a larger aperture air spaced objective.

When I would take my TMB 175 F8 outside and set it up in the late fall though late spring, it could take FOR-ever to thermally stabilize, sometimes never really "getting there" if the ambient temperature dropped quick enough.  The last aberration to depart was typically a small amount of coma at high power.  I had terrible thermal issues with the big D&G 11" achromat as well.  The scope was, at first, stored in an uninsulated roll off roof observatory that got the full sun load for most of the day.  In the late afternoon, you could stand inside and feel the radiant heat coming off of the interior walls.  The scope could be a solid 15 degrees to 20 degrees F warmer than ambient at sun down.  I experimented with various insulations with some modest to significant success.  Using that information, when the new observatory was being built for the D&G we went heavy on insulation for the walls and ceiling.   And it works beautifully!  Even during the hottest of summer days, the interior is a solid 5 to 10 degrees F cooler than outside and in the winter the interior temperature is right around ambient or perhaps a little bit lower than ambient at sunset as well.  The heavy handed use of building insulation for that observatory has paid off a huge thermal dividend.  

So, I am going the same route here as well for my new side yard observatory and I suspect I will have similar thermodynamic success with the 10" triplet as I'm having with the 11" achromat.  

But, if needed, I have a couple of other tricks up my sleeve as well for thermal management of the scope and observatory.

Jeff

• RogerLaureys, Jim Curry, ianatcn and 5 others like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics