•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

HDR with color filters, is it of any use?

Astrophotography Filters
  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Palmito

Palmito

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Lausanne, Switzerland

Posted 22 November 2021 - 05:48 PM

Hi All!

I was wondering, if there is any use to do HDR on color filters with a mono camera, or is it only useful with Lum filter?

Cheers and CS

#2 sharkmelley

sharkmelley

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: UK

Posted 23 November 2021 - 01:59 AM

If any part of the image taken with the colour filter is saturating then you have lost the colour information.  So in this case HDR is useful.

Mark

• Palmito likes this

#3 Jared

Jared

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • Loc: Piedmont, California, U.S.

Posted 23 November 2021 - 02:06 AM

Sure. It’s just that you are much more likely to clip stars (and nebulae) with luminance frames since they pass roughly 2.5x the light of a color filter. Plus, colors can start getting pretty washed out once luminance reaches about 80% of max even if nothing is clipped. Hence, people tend to use the HDR tools on luminance frames more than on RGB frames. That, and the fact that doing HDR on RGB is more work simply because you have more channels.
  • Palmito likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Astrophotography, Filters

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics