•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

scientific study of UFO (UAP)

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#51 Jeff B1

Jeff B1

Gemini

• -----
  • Loc: South Central Florida

Posted 30 November 2021 - 11:19 AM

I think robots will eventually better human pioneering and adventure.  When we humans get past ego and vanity then we will succeed in more efficient science and exploration.  We can then replace the fun of the adventure with the fun in designing robots.  Like couch potatoes; have fun and get fat.  lol.gif  Maybe UFOs are a sort of mind game with ETs; they have fun zipping around galaxies in different dimensions or planes of existence.

Edited by Jeff B1, 30 November 2021 - 11:22 AM.

#52 ButterFly

ButterFly

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 30 November 2021 - 03:12 PM

Relaxing ITAR on satellite components has made the commercial space industry boom.  Nothing is stopping mankind from colonizing other places in the solar system.  But first, there will be asteroid mining.  Rare earth elements are called that because they are rare.  And everyone seems to like gold and platinum.

For particular persons, poverty will get in the way much more than technology.  Will technology advance to the point where any and all riff-raff can afford to get to and live in the rich people space colonies?  No.

#53 ColoHank

ColoHank

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: western Colorado

Posted 30 November 2021 - 08:12 PM

We're doing ok here - plenty of spaces, commas, and capitals.

But I was really disappointed that there was a big fuss about newly released evidence of unexplained observations - yet the primary videos shown were obvious artifact of various kinds.  And I still see them shown all the time.  For years there was an impression that people in government who got to see the evidence found it compelling - so I was looking forward to something interesting.  Instead I guess the people involved in such studies just have no idea how even basic video cameras can do weird things like create iris artifacts when they view points of light out of focus.

In my case I have seen a wide range of things in the sky - most of which have simple explanations.  At the same time, I have seen faint objects make fast 90 degree turns - and I am not kidding here.  But I was alone and it was night and I just assume I imagined it.  It may be a common form of illusory observation since many people report it.

So - I don't think it's worth trying to capture such things because I think by now at least some would have been captured serendipitously.  But it would be cool if multiple cameras could capture a trail with a sharp bend in it - that can be triangulated to be an interesting distance away - and speed.

Frank

Weapons systems and gun cameras don't lock onto optical artifacts.  Seasoned pilots and their backseat navigators/ordnance officers have observed them, and those observations have been corroborated in real time by experienced shipboard radar operators.  Varied documentation suggests that the objects (or phenomena, if you prefer) exhibit unusual physical and performance characteristics.  Because their presence is supported by multiple lines of evidence, their existence can't be denied so dismissively.  I'd like to know what those objects are, but I also understand that access to information about such things is highly compartmented.  Bottom line?  I don't need to know.  

#54 freestar8n

freestar8n

Vendor - MetaGuide

• Vendors
  • Loc: Melbourne, Australia

Posted 01 December 2021 - 04:38 AM

Weapons systems and gun cameras don't lock onto optical artifacts.  Seasoned pilots and their backseat navigators/ordnance officers have observed them, and those observations have been corroborated in real time by experienced shipboard radar operators.  Varied documentation suggests that the objects (or phenomena, if you prefer) exhibit unusual physical and performance characteristics.  Because their presence is supported by multiple lines of evidence, their existence can't be denied so dismissively.  I'd like to know what those objects are, but I also understand that access to information about such things is highly compartmented.  Bottom line?  I don't need to know.  

There were two videos suggest here.  One is an interview with no video or data of an event, and the other is a video accompanied by audio in a cockpit.

Both were strongly recommended as compelling in this thread - and I definitely don't agree.

The first is an oral account with no data - and I can add it to a big pile of such things.

The second, also promoted as being convincing, is quickly dismissible.  There is no description of the camera in use (it's just a guy in the cockpit with a camera poked out the window and not sophisticated air force technology), and no ruling out of obvious explanations such as autofocus and venus.  The site that hosts this as compelling is immediately in question - and I am disappointed if others in CN who have experience with observing and video technology find it interesting.  I'm also concerned about safety since it doesn't sound like anyone is actually flying the plane during this - and it is straight out of an episode "Air Crash Investigations" that doesn't end well.

So for me this is all at the level of flat earth society.  But I'm still interested in any video or other observations captured that I might find worth my time.

Frank

Edited by freestar8n, 01 December 2021 - 05:37 AM.

• Haze likes this

#55 Michael Covington

Michael Covington

Author

• Loc: Athens, Georgia, USA

Posted 01 December 2021 - 10:23 AM

Right.  Anyone seriously interested in UFOs should be grateful to the skeptics for weeding out the numerous "bad" cases (easily explainable or poorly authenticated).

#56 Keith Rivich

Keith Rivich

Gemini

• Loc: Cypress, Tx

Posted 05 December 2021 - 08:51 PM

I am beginning to think that the myraid complexities and obstacles to space exploration anre going to prove to be too much for mankind to overcome before we overpopulate this planet and have a mass exctinction event of our own.

Maybe it takes several "evolutions" of intelligent species on a planet before one gets smart enough to take care of it's ecosystem and not die off, choked by it's own waste, to gain the insight into the ability to spread across the universe.

A comet gave us our niche and we are wearing it out.

in another BY or so the cockroaches or rats or tardigrades will spread into the galaxy...

Cheerful prediction tongue2.gif

#57 pretyro

pretyro

Ranger 4

Posted 14 December 2021 - 12:16 AM

How will the UFO hunt be accomplished?  It is likely difficult to arrange a central server available with suitable software and adequate storage to collect video feeds (and analyze them) from a large collection of cameras (like Arlo, or Ring, or you name it) at known positions and pointed up in known directions.  Is there software available to collect and analyze the data from an individuals camera and pass the result to a central server?  I suppose it could get lucky and find some UFOs.  Such system might also help folks spot wayward drones and incoming hypersonic vehicles as well.

Using, say, 50 mm cameras, any UFO (ie airplane sized one) a couple dozen miles distant (unless it is lite up like Venus) won't be found.  Using a telescope, say 9x50, having only a 5 degree FOV, most things are missed (unless you arrange hundred or so poking out of faces of a geodesic dome).  Focusing will be problematic unless you use plenoptic cameras (which further erodes resolution). Do the project organizers have any particular cameras in mind?

Alternatively, (if you are not just looking for data from someone else's cameras) place security cameras on or near high tension power line towers.  The cameras can be placed as needed with the permission of just the handful of owners involved.  Besides, the towers could use some security cameras (where both uplooking and down looking cameras are used then).  Moreover, if I was a UFO, I might be inclined to sidle up to a high tension line to get a sip of power.   With 200,000 miles of high tension lines in the US, you got a nice test bed to work with.  Of course, this introduces an systematic bias -- maybe UFOs really don't like high voltage, so you won't see them.

#58 Organic Astrochemist

Organic Astrochemist

Apollo

Posted 14 December 2021 - 02:58 PM

There were two videos suggest here. One is an interview with no video or data of an event, and the other is a video accompanied by audio in a cockpit.

Both were strongly recommended as compelling in this thread - and I definitely don't agree.

The first is an oral account with no data - and I can add it to a big pile of such things.

The second, also promoted as being convincing, is quickly dismissible. There is no description of the camera in use (it's just a guy in the cockpit with a camera poked out the window and not sophisticated air force technology), and no ruling out of obvious explanations such as autofocus and venus. The site that hosts this as compelling is immediately in question - and I am disappointed if others in CN who have experience with observing and video technology find it interesting. I'm also concerned about safety since it doesn't sound like anyone is actually flying the plane during this - and it is straight out of an episode "Air Crash Investigations" that doesn't end well.

So for me this is all at the level of flat earth society. But I'm still interested in any video or other observations captured that I might find worth my time.

Frank

The scientific interplay between observation and hypothesis is absent here.

Most science is based on repeated, reproducible observations which lead to testable hypotheses and deeper understanding.

Some science can come from deep understanding that can lead to testable hypotheses of previously unknown observations.

Here we have neither observations nor understanding.

Curious people have always looked to the sky because there is so much to observe and understand.

UFO chasers are, on the contrary, deeply incurious: so little to observe and understand. Out of everything possible to observe in the sky, nothing in space, nothing in the chemistry, physics, biology or meteorology of the atmosphere interests them.

Edited by Organic Astrochemist, 14 December 2021 - 03:06 PM.

#59 Jeff B1

Jeff B1

Gemini

• -----
  • Loc: South Central Florida

Posted 14 December 2021 - 07:15 PM

My first and only possible UFO sighting, but not so:

While observing Jupiter (41.1- aresec) on 1990-03-11 2333-2338UT a bright ~ -1.0 magnitude, bluish-white, pear shaped object passed apparently 100-arcsec south of the planet in the ENE direction.   The object had an orange-red blinking light orbiting clockwise around the large part at ~ 15-20-aresec from the center at ~ 3 to 4 seconds duration.  The longitudinal direction of the object was ~ 20° – 30° angle moving in the ENE direction.  The object suddenly disappeared ~ 5 minutes after first sighted at 2338UT as it appeared to enter the Earth terminator shadow. 

Initial position of Jupiter at 2333UT was  RA = 0605,  DEC = -23.5°
  Last position of Jupiter at 2338UT was  RA = 0047,  DEC = -22.5°

So, computing the apparent orbit of the object, assuming it is a manmade satellite at higher than minimum orbit altitude, then I searched for any satellite that would be visible over my area and the asked a friend who tracked satellites, so we found that it was possibly the USSR, Soyuz TM-9.

Soyuz TM-9.jpg

Edited by Jeff B1, 14 December 2021 - 07:17 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics