•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Texas Star Party Application: Your website is bonkers!

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Cotts

Cotts

Just Wondering

• topic starter
  • Loc: Madoc, Ontario

Posted 24 November 2021 - 01:50 PM

I just wasted an hour trying to apply to the 2022 Texas Star Party.  

The website says applications open Nov 22.  It is now Nov 24.  Great.

I have an account and I logged in. No worries so far.   A minute or two of fiddling around and I found a hotlink for the "Application for Accommodation" form. 

So far, so good.

I click on it and get this screen/window:

Screen Shot 2021-11-24 at 1.29.20 PM.jpg

which has no other link to the actual application form.  It just invites me to create an account which I already have and have logged on with.....

Tried over and over but eventually it became the whole ".....expect a different outcome...." thing.

Their email/contact links are of no use either because the actual email address of the registrar is hidden - link takes you to some weird email server which doesn't work.   

Hoping to get some help from a TSP exec, please. 

Dave

#2 t1duplex

t1duplex

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 24 November 2021 - 03:34 PM

Hey Dave,

At least you were able to log in. Their new password generator system steadfastly refuses to work!

John Diller

#3 DeanS

DeanS

Aurora

• Loc: Central Kentucky

Posted 24 November 2021 - 04:21 PM

I got logged in but same error as Dave.

#4 Cotts

Cotts

Just Wondering

• topic starter

Posted 24 November 2021 - 04:39 PM

I went through some old emails and found an email address for the folks doing registration:

tsprooms@texasstarparty.org

Let the games begin!!

Dave

#5 Napp

Napp

Soyuz

• Moderators
  • Loc: Northeast Florida, USA

Posted 25 November 2021 - 02:37 AM

I just received an email from TSP announcing registration is now open.  I’m about to find out.

• Joe F Gafford likes this

#6 Napp

Napp

Soyuz

• Moderators

Posted 25 November 2021 - 02:57 AM

This is interesting.  I went to the application page after logging in and got this message: 'Congratulations! Your application to attend has already been completed."  I am guessing that being registered for the cancelled TSP carried over?  I think I will contact them to verify.

#7 rprice

rprice

Sputnik

• Loc: Tucson, AZ

Posted 25 November 2021 - 12:26 PM

Yes, TSP "application to attend" is all hosed up. If they had spent as much time on making the registration process simple and easy as they did on making rules and stating the consequences for not following the rules, things  would probably be going smoother. The TSP email I just received looks like a fine print legal agreement you have to agree to when you load software on to your computer or phone. I attended the first TSP in 1979 and have gone to many over the years and loved everyone of them, but "Texas Star Party, Inc." has slowly evolved into a bureaucratic middle man, and this year they have taken the task of overstating their importance to a new unprecedented level.

Hopefully things will get straightened out soon.

Edited by rprice, 25 November 2021 - 12:27 PM.

• ShaulaB and t1duplex like this

#8 rsalva1

rsalva1

Sputnik

Posted 25 November 2021 - 01:22 PM

I tried registering myself, needs some work. The folks running TSP, also runs El Dorado Star Party. The registration process I thought was smooth. They should just mimicked the same process.

• t1duplex likes this

#9 Napp

Napp

Soyuz

• Moderators

Posted 25 November 2021 - 02:45 PM

Registering is now working - at least for me anyway. I successfully submitted my application along with necessay documents.  Wasn't too hard now that's it's working.  A bit cumbersome to get started though.  Did have to print a document, sign it in several places and scan it to attach it to the app.

#10 DeanS

DeanS

Aurora

Posted 25 November 2021 - 02:55 PM

Wow, I will need to have my lawyer read that crap.  Talk about CYA nowadays.  Shame we have to be this way.

• Joe F Gafford and t1duplex like this

#11 Cotts

Cotts

Just Wondering

• topic starter

Posted 25 November 2021 - 03:22 PM

Registering is now working - at least for me anyway. I successfully submitted my application along with necessay documents.  Wasn't too hard now that's it's working.  A bit cumbersome to get started though.  Did have to print a document, sign it in several places and scan it to attach it to the app.

When I applied it said that I had already applied.  I sent an email to tsprooms@texasstarparty.org asking them to confirm.

I was able to "sign" the documents by copy/pasting them into my word processing app and adding my signature, previously created as a 'clip art' thingy,  then emailing the thing back to them as a pdf along with my Covid Jab Confirmation paperwork.

Other Star Parties do their application process much, much more simply.  An online form, fill in the blanks, check boxes for this and that....Check a box to acknowledge Covid Rules.  Check another box to release them from indemnity.  If really, really necessary get folks to actually sign when they enter the ranch.  This whole download, sign, upload thing is unnecessary.

Now waiting to see if we get our choice in housing....

Dave

• t1duplex likes this

#12 DeanS

DeanS

Aurora

Posted 25 November 2021 - 03:35 PM

Dave, I bet there will be plenty of openings this year ;)

• t1duplex likes this

#13 Napp

Napp

Soyuz

• Moderators

Posted 25 November 2021 - 03:44 PM

When I applied it said that I had already applied.  I sent an email to tsprooms@texasstarparty.org asking them to confirm.

I was able to "sign" the documents by copy/pasting them into my word processing app and adding my signature, previously created as a 'clip art' thingy,  then emailing the thing back to them as a pdf along with my Covid Jab Confirmation paperwork.

Other Star Parties do their application process much, much more simply.  An online form, fill in the blanks, check boxes for this and that....Check a box to acknowledge Covid Rules.  Check another box to release them from indemnity.  If really, really necessary get folks to actually sign when they enter the ranch.  This whole download, sign, upload thing is unnecessary.

Dave

I agree the whole download/sign/upload was unnecessary.  I suspect it was designed by an attorney.  

• t1duplex likes this

#14 t1duplex

t1duplex

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 25 November 2021 - 08:44 PM

The TSP website and the whole registration process itself are horses designed by a committee.

Stargeezer Johnny

• rsalva1 likes this

#15 Cotts

Cotts

Just Wondering

• topic starter

Posted 26 November 2021 - 05:49 PM

Dave

Those who are told they have "already applied" HAVE NOT.  I got an email today from tsprooms@texasstarparty.org saying so.  I was told to wait and check back "later" when they have solved this problem.

Still don't know why SIGNED release forms have to be sent in at all! 6 months before the event and two months before the lottery announcement. Their arcane, convoluted, and just-plain-dumb method of download, sign, scan and upload makes this a very difficult task.  They don't NEED the signatures until we actually arrive.  Make it part of the sign-in process at the front gate.  For the application all you should need is a box to tick indicating "I have read the....." which will do until arrival.

Dave

• ShaulaB, BFaucett and t1duplex like this

#16 Ed Wiley

Ed Wiley

Vanguard

• Loc: Texas, USA

Posted 26 November 2021 - 05:50 PM

Total hack job done by amateurs. I am attempting to make a signable copy of the wavier and add my signature using Word. We shall see how it goes. For those of us who happen NOT to have a scanner handy, Good Luck!

Ed

Edited by Ed Wiley, 26 November 2021 - 06:03 PM.

• DeanS, Joe F Gafford and t1duplex like this

#17 bunyon

bunyon

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Winston-Salem, NC

Posted 26 November 2021 - 09:00 PM

Ed, if you have a phone that takes pictures, you can snap a pic as good as a scan.

Not that needing to do so is reasonable.
  • Ed Wiley and t1duplex like this

#18 Ed Wiley

Ed Wiley

Vanguard

• Loc: Texas, USA

Posted Yesterday, 09:51 AM

Hi Paul,

I actually have the downloadable documents, but where to download? I keep getting the message that I am registered without being able to express my preferences (no TSP without at least a bunk, I'm 77) much less downloading the signed form or pict of my card. I can see why we would be asked to do all this before we receive our invitation to attend and lodging assignment, but we do need a way to actually do the download and lodging request form.

Ed

#19 John Fitzgerald

John Fitzgerald

In Focus

• Loc: near Elkins and Pettigrew, Arkansas

Posted Yesterday, 09:58 AM

I predict Prude Ranch itself will hold the star party,  like the past two.years. TSP Inc, appears not to be able to get out of their own way.  More concerned with rules than attendees, it seems.  Just an opinion, of course.

Edited by John Fitzgerald, Yesterday, 10:01 AM.

• DeanS, rsalva1 and t1duplex like this

#20 bunyon

bunyon

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Winston-Salem, NC

Posted Yesterday, 11:59 PM

Ed, sorry. I thought you had a printed form you needed to send. But, yeah, if you can’t download it in the first place…

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics