•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Texas Star Party Application: Your website is bonkers!

• Please log in to reply
88 replies to this topic

#26 Cotts

Cotts

Just Wondering

• topic starter
  • Loc: Madoc, Ontario

Posted 29 November 2021 - 12:53 PM

I believe I successfully applied this morning.

The difficult part for some is the uploading of signed waivers*. 

One method for this....Download.  Print on your home printer.  Sign  with a pen.  Scan them into pdf's, upload them. 

Or, perhaps,,  Download and open in a word app, add a signature previously saved as clip art, save new document as pdf, upload.  This is the method I used.

Maybe there is a way to sign  without first downloading but I don't think so.

*why must they be signed now?  Just have a stack of printed waivers at the entrance.  Attendees sign and date the waiver as they enter.  For application process 6 months before the actual event just checking a box online should suffice...

Now I a) await the lottery results and b) worry that the US/Can border will close again in the spring due to that which shall not be named...

The third decade of the 21st century is proving so far to be......worrisome.....

Dave

• paul likes this

#27 Ed Wiley

Ed Wiley

Vanguard

• Loc: Texas, USA

Posted 30 November 2021 - 09:31 AM

Dave and all:

What I am doing (not submitted yet).

1. Copy the COVID stuff (two forms to sign) and paste the text into Word (or Libre etc.).

2. Fill in the "print" stuff, names, dates, address, etc. The spacing will be a small challenge and it may look messy, but what the heck. 

3. Sign a blank piece of paper and take a picture of your signature with your cell phone and save it to your computer. (I happen to have one I use for recommendations.) Smallest possible jpg.

4. Paste the signature into the two forms where appropriate and resize for format. You are done or you can save as pdf (I recommend that format).

5. Take a cell phone picture of your COVID card and put if on your computer.

No scanner needed, send the forms in as a single attachment along with the card as a second attachment.

BTW: I think I know why they want the forms before the drawing; it saves a second sort by eliminating applicants who do not meet the criteria and/or discourage those not vaccinated from applying in the first place.

Ed

Edited by Ed Wiley, 30 November 2021 - 09:41 AM.

#28 bunyon

bunyon

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: NC

Posted 30 November 2021 - 10:09 AM

I find the need for an actual signature to be strange. I've submitted a lot of forms the last decade where all I do is type my full name. Those are on things that could actually come back to bite me (professionally). For entry to a star party, I don't get the fuss. Put the rules up and if someone applies and "signs" by typing their name after the agreement, they've agreed. 

Making people futz around with scans and downloads and uploads doesn't make anyone safer. 

• John Fitzgerald, Ed Wiley, DeanS and 4 others like this

#29 John Fitzgerald

John Fitzgerald

In Focus

• Loc: near Elkins and Pettigrew, Arkansas

Posted 01 December 2021 - 12:08 PM

To be honest, there's not really any control of people parking outside the gate and walking into the lower field after dark.  That person or persons could then easily walk in the dark to anywhere on the ranch.  I've stayed offsite a few times, and walked in like that.  I was a registered attendee, but it would have gone unnoticed if I had not been.   Another attendee who was camping was watching my gear.

#30 Chucky

Chucky

Surveyor 1

Posted 02 December 2021 - 08:25 AM

<<  Wow, I will need to have my lawyer read that crap.  Talk about CYA nowadays.  Shame we have to be this way.  >>

Well when 10 people show up, it'll become evident that they need to get back to the basics....sans so much legal mumble jumbo.

• Starman47 and t1duplex like this

#31 Starman47

Starman47

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: West of OZ

Posted 02 December 2021 - 05:27 PM

Count me out.

#32 eric_zeiner

eric_zeiner

Phoenix's Dad

• Loc: Perry, GA USA

Posted 03 December 2021 - 12:35 PM

I have been wanting to go to the TSP for the last 15 years and I was seriously considering next year to be the charm, but after reading this thread, I really don't know.

• ShaulaB likes this

#33 lphilpot

lphilpot

Vanguard

• Loc: Central Lousiana, USA

Posted 03 December 2021 - 02:01 PM

I would gently suggest that you attend and directly form your own opinion. Just a suggestion.  :)

My take, after 30 years of TSP attendance? There are certainly additional COVID-related factors at play and we all have opinions on what's reasonable or not (me included). But I just bet in the grand scheme of things once we're there on-site, it'll be fine. Personally, despite not agreeing 100% on everything (do we ever, after all?) I'm willing to allow a bit of room and move on. I like the Davis Mountains area and once I'm there, I plan on enjoying myself.

My $0.02, FWIW.

• paul, darthwyll, Keith Rivich and 3 others like this

#34 John Fitzgerald

John Fitzgerald

In Focus

Posted 03 December 2021 - 02:02 PM

I have been wanting to go to the TSP for the last 15 years and I was seriously considering next year to be the charm, but after reading this thread, I really don't know.

It's really not that bad, they don't get on most people.  The lack of being vendor friendly detracts from it the most IMO, and with the current thing going on, it simply makes the vendor situation worse.

On another note: The upper field is dusty, and is usually highly populated.  That's where you might run into the most problems with light and electricity police.  I found the middle and lower fields to be the best places to observe.

One of the the main reasons for attending the past two times I went, was seeing and visiting McDonald Observatory.

I won't attend next year out of principle, and I'm stubborn.cool.gif

Edited by John Fitzgerald, 03 December 2021 - 02:08 PM.

• Starman47 likes this

#35 lphilpot

lphilpot

Vanguard

Posted 03 December 2021 - 02:22 PM

That's where you might run into the most problems with light and electricity police.

One of the the main reasons for attending the past two times I went, was seeing and visiting McDonald Observatory.

John,

I'm curious -- and my question isn't pointed at you, but rather at the term "light police". I've heard it more than a few times before and it always sounds a tad pejorative, TSP or elsewhere. My intent isn't to argue - Just wondering.

Have you been told at TSP to shield / reduce light? If so, did you feel they were too sensitive?

In my experience, the folks I've seen who were talked to about excessive light almost always did have excessive light. The light rules at TSP -- and other star parties I've attended -- are almost always common sense. Plus there's the factor that since TSP (and Okie-Tex, Nebraska, et. al.) are held at world-class dark sites, people frequently travel a long way to observe, therefore it makes sense to be even more considerate of those around me. I've been involved from the 'admin' side at another star party and I assure you (at least in my experience) that although correcting light incursion sometime needs to be done, it's not for the fun of it.

Once again - I'm asking out of curiosity, not defending TSP nor picking on you. I guess I personally just don't have a predisposition that they're out to interfere with my experience, FWIW.

[ Edit / clarification ] - Technically you didn't write "light police" so if you were simply referencing light issues in general and the "electricity police" specifically, then I need to adjust what I'm asking. But my questions pretty equally apply to either term.

Edited by lphilpot, 03 December 2021 - 02:39 PM.

• bunyon, ShaulaB, Napp and 1 other like this

#36 John Fitzgerald

John Fitzgerald

In Focus

Posted 03 December 2021 - 03:01 PM

No, I personally have not had any trouble with them. I know how to work under low light, but some "noobs" have, mainly for wearing too bright red headlamps.  They look at you, and the lamp shrinks your pupils immediately.  Also, some AP people, with bright screens on the upper field. 

It wasn't intended to be pejorative, it's simply the common name (light police) for the ones in charge of dark out, and the keeping of it.  BTW, it seems most of the AP folks have moved to the lower fields, in recent experience.  It was just a "watch out" gentle warning for anyone new, mainly on the upper field.

Edited by John Fitzgerald, 03 December 2021 - 03:02 PM.

• lphilpot likes this

#37 lphilpot

lphilpot

Vanguard

Posted 03 December 2021 - 03:14 PM

I agree with you on the headlamps. Too bright and they turn into a gamma-ray burster of sorts, sweeping across the field leaving destruction in their wake.  lol.gif

I've often noticed bright red lights when equipment isn't working it's after dark. I'm sympathetic to the need to troubleshoot and fix issues (been there myself!) but I guess sometimes an individual is concentrating on repair, not on where their bright red headlamp is shining. In the past I've also seen some bright laptop screens, but it's usually early in the week and they're soon corrected. It's also been much better in the last few years.

As I recall, several years ago TSP suggested / recommended imagers use the middle and lower fields, with visual observers on the upper field. I don't think that entirely "took", but it's kind of reached a natural state of equilibrium now.

Thanks for the response.

#38 Cotts

Cotts

Just Wondering

• topic starter

Posted 03 December 2021 - 08:43 PM

My point in starting this thread was to point out the application process. 

The actual star party has been fine the half dozen times I've been there.  The upper field was a wee bit too populated with red computer screens being unshielded but it is not terrible. 

The red headlamp problem is universal - not specific to TSP.  Those things ought to be banned at all star parties.  You can take the blinking tripod lights and red glow rope and stick them too.  Glow in the dark tape and rope is far, far better to show legs, tent ropes etc.  But I'm off topic now...

Dave

• Joe Bergeron, bunyon, Napp and 1 other like this

#39 Freakshow

Freakshow

Vostok 1

Posted 06 December 2021 - 08:14 PM

I have been to Southern California and Nevada Star Parties.  TSP was on my bucket list, but now I am wondering if it is really worth it?  All I want to do is look through a 24"+ dob once before I die.  Any one near Las Vegas have one?

#40 Alex McConahay

Alex McConahay

Voyager 1

• Loc: Moreno Valley, CA

Posted 06 December 2021 - 11:34 PM

I have been to Southern California and Nevada Star Parties.  TSP was on my bucket list, but now I am wondering if it is really worth it?  All I want to do is look through a 24"+ dob once before I die.  Any one near Las Vegas have one?

Is "Southern California Star Party"  an actual star party? Or are you just using that term for star parties in Southern California?

Alex

#41 bunyon

bunyon

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: NC

Posted 07 December 2021 - 09:24 AM

TSP has been fantastic every time I've been. If you like star parties, you should go at some point.

• rsalva1 likes this

#42 Cotts

Cotts

Just Wondering

• topic starter

Posted 07 December 2021 - 09:28 AM

There is always a couple of 32-inchers at OkieTex, courtesy John Pratte and Joe Wambo.  Why not set your goals higher than 24"? 

13 hour drive* from LV but it's a great, dark StarParty...

Dave

*I drive 26h to get there each year - 3 days!  Worth every minute!!!

• Joe F Gafford, Starman47 and t1duplex like this

#43 Freakshow

Freakshow

Vostok 1

Posted 07 December 2021 - 05:16 PM

Is "Southern California Star Party"  an actual star party? Or are you just using that term for star parties in Southern California?

Alex

Riverside Astronomical Society used to hold an actual party every month at their GMARS location. 

https://www.rivastro.org/covid-19.php

#44 Alex McConahay

Alex McConahay

Voyager 1

• Loc: Moreno Valley, CA

Posted 07 December 2021 - 06:26 PM

>>>>>Riverside Astronomical Society used to hold an actual party every month at their GMARS location.

https://www.rivastro.org/covid-19.php

Oh, yeah, I know about them.....kinda. 

Actually, we still go out there every month. We just don't have star parties (star-be-cue, group activities, gathering in the house, etc. ) until Covid threats are pretty much gone. And they are not nearly the events like Texas, Okie-Tex, RTMC, Winter Star Party, etc. 

Alex

#45 Keith Rivich

Keith Rivich

Gemini

• Loc: Cypress, Tx

Posted 10 December 2021 - 04:45 PM

Its worth it. Don't let the downers comments keep you from going. The star party is about the people and the skies. Not the politics. If you don't have a good time it will be your own fault.

I finished the application process a few nights ago. They updated the site so one can just click the accept and type their name in the signature box. The only upload was my vax card. Whole process took 10 minutes. 

If you make it out you are more then welcome to look through my 25". And if you fall off the ladder while observing your entire wish just may come true!

• lphilpot, dmdouglass, darthwyll and 1 other like this

#46 rsalva1

rsalva1

Sputnik

Posted 10 December 2021 - 10:02 PM

I just registered. Hmmm, TSP folks must have been trolling this page! Now, if they can just remove the requirement of uploading your vax card and just show when you arrive/sign-in at Prude, the registration would be perfect.

• t1duplex likes this

#47 Cotts

Cotts

Just Wondering

• topic starter

Posted 11 December 2021 - 09:55 AM

I just registered. Hmmm, TSP folks must have been trolling this page! Now, if they can just remove the requirement of uploading your vax card and just show when you arrive/sign-in at Prude, the registration would be perfect.

How long do you want to wait in the opening day line-up?

Dave

• Keith Rivich likes this

#48 rsalva1

rsalva1

Sputnik

Posted 11 December 2021 - 03:21 PM

How long do you want to wait in the opening day line-up?

Dave

I admire your dedication! I just don't like sharing my info as much as possible and uploading a screenshot of a vax card, which has pertinent medical information, to who knows where.. oh well. why attending a star party could be so complicated, I'm guessing this process will be the norm for several years.   

• t1duplex likes this

#49 Joe Bergeron

Joe Bergeron

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 13 December 2021 - 07:30 PM

What happens when someone drives in from Florida or wherever and has no card?

#50 Napp

Napp

Soyuz

• Moderators
  • Loc: Northeast Florida, USA

Posted 13 December 2021 - 07:38 PM

What happens when someone drives in from Florida or wherever and has no card?

In Florida or wherever in the USA you get vaccinated you get a CDC card that is updated with each vaccine.  I have mine.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics