•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

First Planetary Images 11/24/2021

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 theKCW

theKCW

Vostok 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Louisiana

Posted 25 November 2021 - 01:30 AM

I recently got into planetary imaging and attached are my first two images of Jupiter and Saturn.  They came out better than I expected but I'm looking forward to improving both capture techniques and post processing.  These were captured using an ASI224 (color) on my Orion XT12g telescope.  If anyone has any tips they are appricated, but I will also spend the next several days going through the forums.  My biggest self criticism is the color channels not lining up on Saturn, but it was much lower in the sky when I started imaging than Jupiter was, so my thought is that may have had something to do with it. 

Attached Thumbnails

• jupiter.png
  • saturn.png

Edited by theKCW, 25 November 2021 - 01:31 AM.

• Scott Beith, zjc26138, Sunspot and 19 others like this

#2 Rustler46

Rustler46

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Coos Bay, Oregon

Posted 25 November 2021 - 02:44 AM

Those are some nice planet images. You're on the way now. One suggestion - get an ADC. ZWO's atmospheric dispersion corrector will go a long way toward removing color fringes when the planets are low.

• Scott Beith and retroman2 like this

#3 Tim J Fowler

Tim J Fowler

Viking 1

• Loc: Seneca, South Carolina

Posted 25 November 2021 - 08:31 AM

I think if those your first tries, you are well on your way to excellent images in the future!

• Scott Beith and Sarciness like this

#4 Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Carterton, New Zealand

Posted 25 November 2021 - 01:30 PM

Yes, those are a very good start. Well done. However, when I look at Saturn I am immediately reminded of a problem I have had with a 12” f/5.1 Newtonian reflector (I don’t know what your telescope is by the name you gave, but I’m picking it is a reflector). The smearing from lower left to upper right is likely due to your scope not being collimated properly. (Notice how sharp Cassini’s division is either side). You can also get a sense of this smearing on Jupiter - a moon’s shadow is quite elongated in the same direction. With Jupiter, checking how round the moon images are is another test.
There has been much commentary on this forum about the importance of collimation.
Hope this helps, cheers Paul
  • tgrlx200 and Sarciness like this

#5 theKCW

theKCW

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 26 November 2021 - 10:29 AM

Thank you all for the encouragement!

Rustler46 - I'll take a look into ZWO's ADC for sure.  It seems like reviews are mixed, but it also seems like the few others I have found are significantly more expensive.

Paul - You are correct; the telescope is a 12" f/4.9.  I had used the laser/barlow+laser combo to collimate beforehand, but it was pretty quick.  Also, this was my first time using the telescope at my new house where my backyard overlooks pasture instead of neighborhoods/apartments, so I never realized how much image distortion I had from heat, so collimation was typically not my limiting factor.  Guess I'll have to step up my collimation game now!  

• Kiwi Paul likes this

#6 Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Carterton, New Zealand

Posted 26 November 2021 - 01:27 PM

After the laser align, you can check a fairly bright star image that is well out of focus and check the concentricity of the image. There are circular reticles you can use in Firecapture or SharpCap. Also you can use a feature in both that keeps the ROI with star image stationary while you adjust your primary mirror (see recent comment on other threads). Then move focus so the image contracts to 8 or so diffraction rings and adjust if necessary. Keep doing this until you are at focus. You could also use Metaguide. I haven’t used this yet but intend to. Don (caponeii) has examples posted of what he has done. Kokatha Man ( Darryl) is another excellent reference. Go to his web site (reference at the bottom of his posts).
Cheers Paul

#7 smiller

smiller

Vostok 1

Posted 26 November 2021 - 10:16 PM

Very Nice first images, welcome to the XT12G imaging club!   I'm about to post what I've found with my use with the ZWO ADC for color channel alignment in a few minutes.

Update: It is here:  https://www.cloudyni...-adc-on-my-dob/

Cheers,

Steven

Edited by smiller, 26 November 2021 - 11:05 PM.

• theKCW likes this

#8 matt_astro_tx

matt_astro_tx

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Dallas, Texas

Posted 28 November 2021 - 07:33 AM

Fantastic images for your first!  Keep going!

#9 theKCW

theKCW

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 28 November 2021 - 11:09 PM

Update - my mount is having issues - the hand controller can't communicate with the motors, so I'll have to settle with starting DSO imaging only until I get that sorted out.

#10 Max Astronomy

Max Astronomy

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Russia, Primorsky Krai, Ussuriysk

Posted 28 November 2021 - 11:44 PM

I recently got into planetary imaging and attached are my first two images of Jupiter and Saturn.  They came out better than I expected but I'm looking forward to improving both capture techniques and post processing.  These were captured using an ASI224 (color) on my Orion XT12g telescope.  If anyone has any tips they are appricated, but I will also spend the next several days going through the forums.  My biggest self criticism is the color channels not lining up on Saturn, but it was much lower in the sky when I started imaging than Jupiter was, so my thought is that may have had something to do with it. 

Very good for start, but atmospheric dispersion deteriorate quality strongly. Which is elevation of planet above horizon?

Edited by Max Astronomy, 28 November 2021 - 11:47 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics