•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Mount for Celestron C8

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 msacco

msacco

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 25 November 2021 - 03:56 AM

Hey! I know some people might find it odd, I'm looking for a mount for my secondary rig, will MOSTLY be used for my small SharpStar 61 EDPH II, shooting with either OSC and L-eXtreme, or mono with 3nm filters, so I'm looking for a mount that could handle 5-10 minutes exposure for that. Total weight is about 5kg, so shouldn't be much of an issue for the mounts I'm looking at, which are the CEM25/26 / GEM28.

My big mount is already occupied, and I also have a C8 that I hope to use instead of the SharpStar every once in a while, mostly for galaxies I believe. This doesn't usually require very long exposures, I can probably get along with 2-3 minutes.

I'm obviously aware that it's not an easy task on the mount, and won't be very easy. But I also learned that experience is a huge factor in these situations, and the difference the user can make on the outcome of the mount, especially with guiding. I used to do 60 seconds exposures at first with guiding as a beginner and get pretty bad results, a year later with the same gear I was able to do 5 minutes with no issues, so there's surely a learning curve here.

I can get a pretty cheap second hand CEM25, or just buy a GEM28 brand new. Did any of you try using a C8(weights 14 lbs) or similar on such mount? How did it go?

Again, the mount will mostly be used for the SharpStar, so while I'm aware it's not very ideal, I think it could somehow work with proper use.

Thanks for the help.

• retroman2 likes this

#2 Achernar

Achernar

Voyager 1

• Loc: Mobile, Alabama, USA

Posted 25 November 2021 - 05:44 AM

Hey! I know some people might find it odd, I'm looking for a mount for my secondary rig, will MOSTLY be used for my small SharpStar 61 EDPH II, shooting with either OSC and L-eXtreme, or mono with 3nm filters, so I'm looking for a mount that could handle 5-10 minutes exposure for that. Total weight is about 5kg, so shouldn't be much of an issue for the mounts I'm looking at, which are the CEM25/26 / GEM28.

My big mount is already occupied, and I also have a C8 that I hope to use instead of the SharpStar every once in a while, mostly for galaxies I believe. This doesn't usually require very long exposures, I can probably get along with 2-3 minutes.

I'm obviously aware that it's not an easy task on the mount, and won't be very easy. But I also learned that experience is a huge factor in these situations, and the difference the user can make on the outcome of the mount, especially with guiding. I used to do 60 seconds exposures at first with guiding as a beginner and get pretty bad results, a year later with the same gear I was able to do 5 minutes with no issues, so there's surely a learning curve here.

I can get a pretty cheap second hand CEM25, or just buy a GEM28 brand new. Did any of you try using a C8(weights 14 lbs) or similar on such mount? How did it go?

Again, the mount will mostly be used for the SharpStar, so while I'm aware it's not very ideal, I think it could somehow work with proper use.

Thanks for the help.

You'll need a mount with a capacity of 40 or 45 lbs., so an Orion Atlas or an IOptron CEM45 are among the class of mount you'll need, even if you are going to be using the .7X focal reducer.

Taras

• retroman2 likes this

#3 MrRoberts

MrRoberts

Apollo

• Loc: Green Valley, AZ

Posted 25 November 2021 - 08:15 AM

My C-8/E on the CEM40 is very do'able.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0944-3.jpg

#4 brentknight

brentknight

Soyuz

• Loc: Foley, Alabama

Posted 25 November 2021 - 09:39 PM

I have used the GEM28 with my C8 for EAA (60s - 120s exposures).  My issues with it were more related to using it with the FF/FR and getting collimation squared away.  For those short exposures in calm weather it will likely work fine (I need about 20lbs on the counterweight shaft though).  If your needs are more demanding than mine are, then I would recommend something bigger like the GEM45.  I'll hope to get something like that for it in the future.

20211027 075549

#5 Celsom

Celsom

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 25 November 2021 - 09:51 PM

I have an SkyWatcher AZ-EQ5 mount with my C8, Canon T6i, finder, guider, etc all around 9kg. Even when I am awaiting for the clouds to dissipate, I have obtained a couple of good guiding sessions and I can recommend this mount.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics