•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Looking obtain Megastar 5 to run on Win 7 64bit

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Trader_Vix

Trader_Vix

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 November 2021 - 10:07 AM

Hi
I just joined this site, looks fantastic with some great folks and good knowledge. I am an old MAPUG user, have been on hiatus from astro-photography for 18 years for various reasons. I now have time and have recently dug out my old Meade 127ED system (LXD650 mount) and gotten it working and upgraded with new capacitors, power supply etc. I would like to get back into imaging and am just setting up the scope/mount system first and then I will worry about the imaging side later. I did a lot of film work for years. I am sure I will be posting more in the coming months as what I used to know has likely evolved tremendously on the imaging side….anyway…back to scope issues….

Any help trying to locate Megastar 5 and the requisite updates that allow it to run on Win 7 64 native would be very much appreciated. I understand this is not a classified area, paying to obtain the program is not an issue for me, but this program is so old the standard places don’t seem to be of help locating it…thanks for any suggestions. You can pm if that helps.

A little background..I am setting up an old standalone laptop I had running Win 7 64 bit that I plan on using for the scope control and guiding system. I am not looking for anything fancy on the scope system front. I got pictorview working on the Win 7 laptop and am using a USB to serial converter and driver, with my old (216xt) guider. I have Megastar 4 from the old days and used to use it running on an old Dell with XP…however the version I have will not run native on the Win 7 64bit. I really love this program because it is simple and does what I want from a goto pointing and focuser control perspective. I understand that the later version of Megastar (5), with the latest updates (5.0.14 or 5.0.15?) will run natively on Win 7. I have installed Stellarium, it has a nice look and feel, lots of capability, but its LX scope control is somewhat rudimentary and not user friendly, no focuser control and not dependable simple with the LX200 style interface. From a planetarium perspective it looks fantastic…but it is beyond what I need for my basic mapping and scope control situation.

Thanks all!

#2 obrazell

obrazell

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: United Kingdom

Posted 25 November 2021 - 12:35 PM

There is a Megastar users group on groups.io where there is a link to download Megastar 5 latest version Note that this software is now free aftre the closure of WB.

#3 obrazell

obrazell

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: United Kingdom

Posted 25 November 2021 - 12:36 PM

Sorry for some reason the softwre cuts links. It is https://ladyandtramp.com/megastar

#4 Trader_Vix

Trader_Vix

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 November 2021 - 02:40 PM

Thanks for the response and link. I had been previously on the Megastar on the io groups and joined but there was no link up there for software and the last posting was over a month ago...lots of good info up there about the software and what has transpired over the years. Your link sets off my firefox security warnings...i assume its GTG :).

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics