•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Celestron WiFi Module/SkyPortal Worth It?

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#26 GiffS

GiffS

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: SW Virginia

Posted 19 December 2021 - 02:48 PM

Thanks for all the input. I really don’t think the interference thing will be an issue in my case.  I am pretty rural.   At this point I need to wait and see what St. Nick might have in store.  

#27 Giant

Giant

Explorer 1

• Loc: NJ

Posted 19 December 2021 - 02:59 PM

You won't be disappointed, especially if you decide to use your phone or tablet to control the scope that doesn't lend itself to hardwiring into the mount.

#28 SpitzA3P

SpitzA3P

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Richmond, Virginia, USA

Posted 20 December 2021 - 12:19 PM

Sky Portal works fine with my Samsung Galaxy A6 mobile. (Purchased  New for about $120 two years ago on Ebay.)  However, as I mention above, some features in the Free version of Sky Safari do not seem to work in Sky Portal, like, and crucial for my deep sky searches, the Show Names for Deep sky objects.  Of course, to repeat, the free version will not control any telescope, and Sky Portal, only Celestrons, so far as I know. Sky Safari Plus works with my Mobile also.

#29 PJBilotta

PJBilotta

Messenger

• Loc: Portland, Oregon

Posted 21 December 2021 - 12:43 AM

Love mine. I actually have it plugged into my Evolution mount - much better, stronger and stable connection than the built-in wifi. My phone always lost it's connection with the mount at least once or twice a session. Haven't had a single drop yet with the module.
  • SpitzA3P likes this

#30 mlord

mlord

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Ottawa, Canada

Posted 22 December 2021 - 12:46 PM

There's a firmware update for the mount that fixes most of the issues with the built-in wifi there.

#31 Thomas B

Thomas B

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 30 December 2021 - 09:25 PM

Love mine. I actually have it plugged into my Evolution mount - much better, stronger and stable connection than the built-in wifi. My phone always lost it's connection with the mount at least once or twice a session. Haven't had a single drop yet with the module.

How does this work plugged in instead of over wifi? How does a phone connect then?

Sent from my SM-G770U1 using Tapatalk

#32 mlord

mlord

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 30 December 2021 - 10:01 PM

How does this work plugged in instead of over wifi? How does a phone connect then?

It's still wifi, just from the external dongle rather than the one built into the Evolution.

#33 vogo

vogo

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Czech Republic

Posted 31 December 2021 - 05:43 AM

The built-in Fi-Wi has been a nightmare for me for the last few months. There are probably some new Wi-Fi networks in my area and they are causing interference. So I made the final cut and added a bluetooth module to the hand controller. It solved all my problems with connecting from my phone/tablet/laptop. First, I do the alignment once from the hand controller and can use any device without re-aligning. Second, I have a device on the scope that allows me to use it with winter gloves. I just followed these instructions and added a switch on pin EN to enable/disable the module. I used the HC-05 bluetooth module.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20211130_152312.jpg

• 12Bass likes this

#34 PJBilotta

PJBilotta

Messenger

• Loc: Portland, Oregon

Posted 01 January 2022 - 03:39 PM

It's still wifi, just from the external dongle rather than the one built into the Evolution.

You just have to select to the correct wifi when you connect your device. The dongle's will have a different network name than the mount's built-in transmitter.

#35 mlord

mlord

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 01 January 2022 - 06:01 PM

Or just turn off the built-in WiFi to reduce interference.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics