•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Using AI to improve images (Topaz)

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Whereisclearsky

Whereisclearsky

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 November 2021 - 11:19 AM

Hi,

Topaz has some amazing discounts at the moment (Black Friday), you can pair it with

15% discount codes found on the internet.

I got all of their software for 132£ total!

Anyway I decided to test it on my latest image, and the results are amazing.

It makes some of the stars look weird sometimes, so it might be better to use it on starless versions I guess.

G1C49JJ.jpg

x1NhiEW.png

Original photo:

VHdQpOy.png

Edited by Whereisclearsky, 25 November 2021 - 11:21 AM.

• Greg Haag likes this

#2 dswtan

dswtan

Viking 1

• Loc: Morgan Hill, CA

Posted 25 November 2021 - 12:05 PM

Some topical past debate on this, in case you missed. Happy Thanksgiving!

https://www.cloudyni...ng-on-here-art/

• Whereisclearsky likes this

#3 Michael Covington

Michael Covington

Author

• Loc: Athens, Georgia, USA

Posted 25 November 2021 - 01:19 PM

Reportedly, some of the detail added by the "AI" is fictitious, based on machine learning from other similar images, not just detail that is actually in your image.   I have not confirmed this, but it's something to look into.  Ultimately, "AI software" could "improve" your image of a nebula by blending into it someone else's image of the same nebula -- let's hope it doesn't go that far!

#4 galacticinsomnia

galacticinsomnia

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Pacific Northwest - Oregon

Posted 25 November 2021 - 01:19 PM

Stop calling it AI, the software isn't AI, the software isn't learning anything.  I have had a lot more success with the freely available NIK tools or Deconv.
There is absolutely nothing magic in the software.

Clear Skies !!

• 17.5Dob likes this

#5 Michael Covington

Michael Covington

Author

• Loc: Athens, Georgia, USA

Posted 25 November 2021 - 01:20 PM

How much do they tell us what they mean by "AI"?  I do AI (in another area) for a living...

[edit:]  I see galacticinsomnia was thinking a similar thing, but more strongly!

Edited by Michael Covington, 25 November 2021 - 01:20 PM.

• galacticinsomnia likes this

#6 17.5Dob

17.5Dob

Cosmos

• Loc: Colorado,USA

Posted 25 November 2021 - 03:29 PM

I'll pass...I already use PixInsight..

#7 vidrazor

vidrazor

Surveyor 1

• Loc: North Bergen, NJ

Posted 25 November 2021 - 03:30 PM

Topaz has improved this product of late, I have not seen the addition of fabricated data in recent passes of data through DeNoise AI. Sharpen AI has also been improved not to add junk. Whatever they're doing, they're going about it much better.

That said, I'll add that there's a similar noise reduction program from ON1 called NoNoise AI, and the advantage to this program is that it gives you full separate control over sharpening and denoising, giving you the option to completely turn a slider to full off, giving much better subtle control of the noise reduction process. Anyone who's considering one these modern-day processors may want to look into this program. They have a 30-day trial you can download and see for yourself how you like it. They've also made a series of tutorial videos showing you the various processing tools within the app.

As for the AI shtick, we all know it's simply the latest buzzword sales pitch going on in software circles. I don't think anyone with any common sense actually believes there's any AI going on here. ;)

#8 Whereisclearsky

Whereisclearsky

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 November 2021 - 08:43 PM

Topaz has improved this product of late, I have not seen the addition of fabricated data in recent passes of data through DeNoise AI. Sharpen AI has also been improved not to add junk. Whatever they're doing, they're going about it much better.

That said, I'll add that there's a similar noise reduction program from ON1 called NoNoise AI, and the advantage to this program is that it gives you full separate control over sharpening and denoising, giving you the option to completely turn a slider to full off, giving much better subtle control of the noise reduction process. Anyone who's considering one these modern-day processors may want to look into this program. They have a 30-day trial you can download and see for yourself how you like it. They've also made a series of tutorial videos showing you the various processing tools within the app.

As for the AI shtick, we all know it's simply the latest buzzword sales pitch going on in software circles. I don't think anyone with any common sense actually believes there's any AI going on here. wink.gif

Have you tried ON1 called NoNoise AI?

I stumbled on it already but haven't tried it.

#9 Whereisclearsky

Whereisclearsky

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 November 2021 - 08:58 PM

I am now trying ON1 app, and it seems to do better job than Topaz DeNoise.

It's removing most of the noise without adding any syntetic details to it.

Edited by Whereisclearsky, 25 November 2021 - 08:58 PM.

#10 vidrazor

vidrazor

Surveyor 1

Posted 25 November 2021 - 09:22 PM

Have you tried ON1 called NoNoise AI?

I stumbled on it already but haven't tried it.

I am now trying ON1 app, and it seems to do better job than Topaz DeNoise.

It's removing most of the noise without adding any syntetic details to it.

I just downloaded it again. The first time I tried it I realized it doesn't work with Win 7 like the Topaz suite does. I recently built a machine with Win 10 and I'm gonna reload it in there. However I watched the tutorial videos and realized this app gives you full control over the processes unlike the Topaz apps.

#11 galacticinsomnia

galacticinsomnia

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Pacific Northwest - Oregon

Posted Yesterday, 01:51 AM

I don't support businesses that use terminology in an intellectually dishonest way.  That is like calling any lens ED glass, it is or it isn't.  As a past assembler programmer, debugger, it is a little more easily for me to identify and avoid such things, but still have to question the kind of integrity a company has by being so blatantly dishonest to consumers that do not have that kind of experience or background.

Glad it works for some people, and don't mean to seem like a curmudgeon, just not one for these kind of advertisement type posts.

Clear Skies !!

#12 vidrazor

vidrazor

Surveyor 1

Posted Yesterday, 02:33 AM

I don't support businesses that use terminology in an intellectually dishonest way.  That is like calling any lens ED glass, it is or it isn't.  As a past assembler programmer, debugger, it is a little more easily for me to identify and avoid such things, but still have to question the kind of integrity a company has by being so blatantly dishonest to consumers that do not have that kind of experience or background.

Glad it works for some people, and don't mean to seem like a curmudgeon, just not one for these kind of advertisement type posts.

Clear Skies !!

It's just sales talk. Remember smartphones? ;)

#13 Whereisclearsky

Whereisclearsky

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted Yesterday, 07:36 PM

ON1 NoNoise:

E1DodOk.jpg

#14 vidrazor

vidrazor

Surveyor 1

Posted Yesterday, 09:14 PM

ON1 NoNoise:

Do you have a target with more detail? Worst case scenario I see there are the finer stars getting a bit wonky. Not Topaz-like wonky tho. Perhaps back off on sliders a bit, which is the main advantage of the On1 app over the Topaz app. Barring that I would make a star mask and bring the original stars through. A higher detail image would give a better example of this app's potential. Maybe I'll finally install that trail version tomorrow and run through it.

#15 Whereisclearsky

Whereisclearsky

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted Yesterday, 09:45 PM

Do you have a target with more detail? Worst case scenario I see there are the finer stars getting a bit wonky. Not Topaz-like wonky tho. Perhaps back off on sliders a bit, which is the main advantage of the On1 app over the Topaz app. Barring that I would make a star mask and bring the original stars through. A higher detail image would give a better example of this app's potential. Maybe I'll finally install that trail version tomorrow and run through it.

This was a random photo from astrobin.

As for using it on starless image, I completely agree. This is exactly what I do.

2Y8BZBE.jpg

#16 vidrazor

vidrazor

Surveyor 1

Posted Yesterday, 10:46 PM

This was a random photo from astrobin.

As for using it on starless image, I completely agree. This is exactly what I do.

Well I meant more of a target with more intricate data like M1 or M101.

Edited by vidrazor, Yesterday, 10:47 PM.

#17 Whereisclearsky

Whereisclearsky

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted Yesterday, 10:48 PM

Well I meant more of a target with more intricate data like M1 or M101.

You can post a photo here and I can try it.

#18 vidrazor

vidrazor

Surveyor 1

Posted Yesterday, 11:24 PM

You can post a photo here and I can try it.

I'll just mess with it tomorrow. This app looks very promising however.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics