•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

m1 mac / parallels / zwo drivers

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 dprophete

dprophete

Sputnik

• topic starter
  • Loc: San Francisco

Posted 25 November 2021 - 01:30 PM

Hi guys,

So I have macbook M1 and a ZWO camera. I am trying to use Sharpcap on the mac. So I got Parallels, windows 11 (for the M1, it needs to be Windows 11 Insider Preview), installed Sharpcap in Windows and the Windows ZWO drivers for my camera.

So the problem I am getting is that the ZWO driver doesn't seem to be working properly with Windows 11/Parallels. Parallels properly detect my camera, but even after installing the ZWO driver on Windows (it installs properly with no reported errors), neither Sharpcap, nor ZWO ASIStudio can detect the camera... (see attached image)

WhatsApp Image 2021-11-23 at 12.52.20 PM.jpeg

Now just to be sure the problem isn't with the camera or with the usb cable, I installed ASIStudio on the mac side and there everything works fine.

So it seems to be a driver problem.

Has anybody gotten this working properly (ZWO driver for mac M1 + Parallels) ? (yes I know I could use bootcamp for dual booting the mac but I'd rather not have to do this)

Thanks for your help (and happy Thanksgiving :-)

#2 OldManSky

OldManSky

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Valley Center, CA USA

Posted 25 November 2021 - 01:34 PM

I don't know about Parallels, but the ZWO drivers for the 183, 2600, and 290mm-mini all work fine on Win11 on an actual Intel mini-PC.  No issues whatsoever.

Both pre-release Insider Preview and release versions of Win11.

Good luck.

#3 Marcelofig

Marcelofig

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 25 November 2021 - 01:44 PM

Get a cheap pc for the capture, it's by far the easiest and most efficient solution (that's what I did).  And I'm writing this on a Mac mini M1 and doing all the processing on it.

And as far as I know, bootcamp is not supported on M1 Macs.

• dswtan and astrokeith like this

#4 astrokeith

astrokeith

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Surrey, UK

Posted 25 November 2021 - 01:54 PM

Get a cheap pc for the capture, it's by far the easiest and most efficient solution (that's what I did).  And I'm writing this on a Mac mini M1 and doing all the processing on it.

yep, using Parallels is likely to be a recipe for trouble.

I too am a Mac & iOS universe person, but got a cheapo mini-pc to do the Windoze stuff.

• dswtan likes this

#5 dprophete

dprophete

Sputnik

• topic starter

Posted 25 November 2021 - 03:11 PM

yep, using Parallels is likely to be a recipe for trouble.

I too am a Mac & iOS universe person, but got a cheapo mini-pc to do the Windoze stuff.

Right, right. This could for sure work. But if I were to spend $300-$400 for a small PC, I think I would rather get the new ASIAir Plus (which unfortunately is not available now is probably won't be until ZWO produces more units...)

I already have the M1 Mac, which has an amazing battery life and it already has all my apps so getting everything working on this one machine would be fantastic...

#6 astrokeith

astrokeith

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Surrey, UK

Posted 25 November 2021 - 05:19 PM

Right, right. This could for sure work. But if I were to spend $300-$400 for a small PC, I think I would rather get the new ASIAir Plus (which unfortunately is not available now is probably won't be until ZWO produces more units...)

I already have the M1 Mac, which has an amazing battery life and it already has all my apps so getting everything working on this one machine would be fantastic...

If you're tempted by an ASIAIR - think about a Raspberry Pi. Same really. I use them all over for various support tasks. On mounts I run astroberry. 

• dprophete likes this

#7 Delta608

Delta608

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Tampa Bay Florida

Posted 25 November 2021 - 05:22 PM

Another vote for ASIpro or plus...Easy as pie....They are all coming in to various outlets now...Patience Padawan, any day now...

#8 tboss70

tboss70

Gemini

• Loc: Missouri

Posted 25 November 2021 - 06:25 PM

Let me try this as I use Mac/Parallels with a Windows 11 VM. Only difference is my Mac is the 2019 Intel 16" Macbook. I'll report back shortly

EDIT: My ASI2600MC connects to SharpCap (4.0.8185.0) without issue. There is a newer ZWO driver from 9/2021, do you have an older one than that?

Edited by tboss70, 25 November 2021 - 06:39 PM.

#9 nebulasaurus

nebulasaurus

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Mostly Cloudy New Hampshire

Posted 26 November 2021 - 12:00 AM

Apple M1 silicone right?

Unless someone knows otherwise this isn’t going to work.  M1 is arm based.  Your win11 is the arm version.  The zwo drivers are wintel.  My guess is that any usb device that is not a common class (hid, printer, mass storage etc that all have os drivers) won’t work unless a windows arm driver is available.

The chances of zwo providing an arm driver for windows in the near term is somewhere between slim and none.

#10 ChiTownXring

ChiTownXring

Viking 1

• Loc: Sugar Grove, IL

Posted 26 November 2021 - 12:02 AM

How about a Intel i5 laptop running Windows 10 Pro for 119.00.. I use these guys all of the time..

https://www.ebay.com...XwAAOSw54JfX7E~

#11 dprophete

dprophete

Sputnik

• topic starter

Posted 26 November 2021 - 12:53 AM

Let me try this as I use Mac/Parallels with a Windows 11 VM. Only difference is my Mac is the 2019 Intel 16" Macbook. I'll report back shortly

EDIT: My ASI2600MC connects to SharpCap (4.0.8185.0) without issue. There is a newer ZWO driver from 9/2021, do you have an older one than that?

Right, I think the main difference is that I am on a M1 Mac. As a result there is a custom version of parallels and Windows for M1.

And yes, I did try with the latest driver from ZWO, latest version of Sharpcap (and ASIStudio windows...) but no luck...

• tboss70 likes this

#12 dprophete

dprophete

Sputnik

• topic starter

Posted 26 November 2021 - 01:03 AM

Apple M1 silicone right?

Unless someone knows otherwise this isn’t going to work.  M1 is arm based.  Your win11 is the arm version.  The zwo drivers are wintel.  My guess is that any usb device that is not a common class (hid, printer, mass storage etc that all have os drivers) won’t work unless a windows arm driver is available.

The chances of zwo providing an arm driver for windows in the near term is somewhere between slim and none.

Yep, Apple M1 Silicon.

I guess the next step would be to contact ZWO directly and see if they have any plan of providing a driver for Windows on arm...

#13 dprophete

dprophete

Sputnik

• topic starter

Posted 26 November 2021 - 01:20 AM

For those interested, here is the link to the post I just wrote on the ZWO forum: https://bbs.astronom...-mac-m1-silicon

• tboss70 likes this

#14 tboss70

tboss70

Gemini

• Loc: Missouri

Posted 26 November 2021 - 05:03 PM

Thanks for the link. I am interested as I will be headed to Apple Silicon at some point. I've had great luck with my current Mac (Intel) along with Parallels and Windows 10/11 running as a VM but will stay here a bit longer until more things get worked out.

I added to your thread hoping it helps get exposure

Edited by tboss70, 26 November 2021 - 05:10 PM.

• dprophete likes this

#15 dprophete

dprophete

Sputnik

• topic starter

Posted 26 November 2021 - 05:34 PM

Thanks for the link. I am interested as I will be headed to Apple Silicon at some point. I've had great luck with my current Mac (Intel) along with Parallels and Windows 10/11 running as a VM but will stay here a bit longer until more things get worked out.

I added to your thread hoping it helps get exposure

Thanks Todd.

#16 DJL

DJL

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 26 November 2021 - 05:52 PM

The thread for all things Mac is here: https://www.cloudyni...phy-on-the-mac/ - might be worth dropping a link to this thread over there.

I chose ASIAIR Pro after considering Mac Mini and NUC. I didn't want to use a laptop. The ASIAIR Pro's power ports for dew heaters were an added bonus.

For planetary, I used the AAP for goto then unplugged the camera, plugged it into my MBP and used Firecapture. I also used Planetary System Stacker on Mac to do the planetary stacking.

Another possibility is Crossover. I don't know how many Windows astro apps will work with it but there's a free trial. https://www.codeweavers.com/crossover.

Edited by DJL, 26 November 2021 - 05:59 PM.

• dprophete likes this

#17 Rasfahan

Rasfahan

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Hessen, Germany

Posted 26 November 2021 - 06:27 PM

I can not endorse crossover for AP. It‘s fine for legacy productivity apps and some light gaming, but not for anything as close to hardware as AP. I‘m also a Mac user but for rig control I use a PC (NUC) with Windows 10, and remote into it from my Mac. For USB and power distribution I have a Pegasus box. I also own an ASIAir Pro but find it too limiting in hardware support and features, especially regarding session recovery. There really are no sanity/error checks built in and you need to babysit your rig the whole night.

• tboss70, OldManSky and DJL like this

#18 dprophete

dprophete

Sputnik

• topic starter

Posted 27 November 2021 - 12:53 AM

Another possibility is Crossover. I don't know how many Windows astro apps will work with it but there's a free trial. https://www.codeweavers.com/crossover.

Didn't know about crossover. I downloaded it and tried to install sharpcap on my M1 mac, but it failed the installation process (tried the 32 bit and 64 bit version... both failed). So back to square one...

• DJL likes this

#19 DJL

DJL

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 27 November 2021 - 11:00 AM

Didn't know about crossover. I downloaded it and tried to install sharpcap on my M1 mac, but it failed the installation process (tried the 32 bit and 64 bit version... both failed). So back to square one...

I was considering it for the planetary apps - PIPP, Autostakkert and Registax. 

#20 Rasfahan

Rasfahan

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Hessen, Germany

Posted 27 November 2021 - 11:19 AM

You really don‘t want to use these with crossover, even if they would work. There is a huge performance penalty. The Mac really is a stepchild for all kinds of AP. Even Linux is better supported. For planetary you can try „planetary system stacker“, I found it quite good (but I‘m not much good with planetary imaging): https://github.com/R...rySystemStacker

Development seems to have stalled somewhat.

• DJL likes this

#21 Delta608

Delta608

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Tampa Bay Florida

Posted 27 November 2021 - 01:53 PM

Get a cheap windows computer for astro...I don't think you really want to leave a 2000-3000 McBook Pro in the dew....

#22 DJL

DJL

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 27 November 2021 - 04:11 PM

You really don‘t want to use these with crossover, even if they would work. There is a huge performance penalty. The Mac really is a stepchild for all kinds of AP. Even Linux is better supported. For planetary you can try „planetary system stacker“, I found it quite good (but I‘m not much good with planetary imaging): https://github.com/R...rySystemStacker

Development seems to have stalled somewhat.

I have used both PSS and Siril. In both cases I sometimes get a wasabi green result - the same green shade in both apps -  and have not figured out what is going wrong. Off topic for this thread, but that's why I thought about trying the Windows alternatives.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics