•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

newtonian c/w reducers

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 zoltrix

zoltrix

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 November 2021 - 01:34 PM

Hello

Newtonian f4 are known as fast scopes for astrophotography but quite hard to collimate
Should I use a newtonian f5 c/w a coma corrector and focal reducer 0.8 might I expect to have a fast scope but more user friendly ?

#2 GaryShaw

GaryShaw

Apollo

• Loc: Massachusetts / Wyoming

Posted 26 November 2021 - 09:13 AM

I hear all the comments on fast Newtonians and collimation but FWIW, my F4 is a breeze to collimate. A Farpoint Laser/Cheshire combination and 3-5 minutes. I check and tweak collimation about once a month. On my F3.6, all I’ve ever adjusted is the secondary mirror. 

Depending on what type of observing or imaging you want to do, don’t be afraid of collimation on an F4. The Takahashi’s at around F2 might take a bit more time and fussing but their owners seem to love them….we do what we have to do and then get on with observing.

Gary

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics