•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Old Meade LXD55 mount, what model controller?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 FRANKVSTAR

FRANKVSTAR

Lift Off

• topic starter
  • Loc: GASTON S.C

Posted 25 November 2021 - 01:41 PM

I have a Meade LXD 55 mount arriving, my question is what model hand controller can I use as the one with the mount sometimes does not work.

Any help I would like or if I can get the mount powered up I may be able to see the version model on the hand controller it's self if I turn on.

Edited by FRANKVSTAR, 25 November 2021 - 01:42 PM.

#2 randcpoll

randcpoll

Viking 1

• Loc: New York

Posted 25 November 2021 - 03:11 PM

That needs a model 497 handset with firmware no later than 43g.

• FRANKVSTAR likes this

#3 OzAndrewJ

OzAndrewJ

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 25 November 2021 - 03:18 PM

Gday FrankVstar

Any 495/497, 497EP or Audiostar handset will recognise the mount

To see you current firmware, use the setup > Statistics menu.

Lots of LCD screens have been dying recently so you may be able

to try and connect using a PC to see if the handbox itself is still working.

Andrew Johansen Melbourne Australia

• FRANKVSTAR likes this

#4 Cliff Hipsher

Cliff Hipsher

Apollo

• Loc: North Chesterfield, VA

Posted 26 November 2021 - 08:41 AM

Good luck finding a good 497 hand box.

#5 Messierthanwhat

Messierthanwhat

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 26 November 2021 - 08:44 AM

It would be helpful to know what "sometimes does not work." One of the most common problems with the Autostar handsets is just that some of the buttons don't activate. That can often be fixed by pulling the handset apart and cleaning the contacts beneath the rubber button sheet. Some suggest using a cleaning kit made for keyboards, while others have just used a clean pencil eraser.

Andrew has already listed Autostar models that will work. Some might lack some convenient functions, but still control the mount. There also is an "Autostar ETX" that I was able to use with my LXD55 and 75 mounts. I believe it was packaged with some ETX Maks during some period in the past, but I found it to be functionally identical to the 497.

Also, with the addition of a Meade 505 cable, the LXD55 can be controlled with a laptop using ASCOM drivers and programs such as Stellarium and Kstars. This still requires the handset to be present and connected, because the cable connects to a second jack on its bottom, but if the handset problem is just some inoperable buttons, that doesn't usually affect laptop control.

• FRANKVSTAR likes this

#6 FRANKVSTAR

FRANKVSTAR

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 26 November 2021 - 01:23 PM

Gday FrankVstar

Any 495/497, 497EP or Audiostar handset will recognise the mount

To see you current firmware, use the setup > Statistics menu.

Lots of LCD screens have been dying recently so you may be able

to try and connect using a PC to see if the handbox itself is still working.

Andrew Johansen Melbourne Australia

Thank you for the replys

#7 FRANKVSTAR

FRANKVSTAR

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 26 November 2021 - 01:25 PM

Thank you for the reply I will try your suggestion or try cleaning the hand controller buttons and check cable.

Go day to you and thanks

#8 rmollise

rmollise

ISS

• Loc: US

Posted 26 November 2021 - 04:59 PM

It would be helpful to know what "sometimes does not work." One of the most common problems with the Autostar handsets is just that some of the buttons don't activate. That can often be fixed by pulling the handset apart and cleaning the contacts beneath the rubber button sheet. Some suggest using a cleaning kit made for keyboards, while others have just used a clean pencil eraser.

Andrew has already listed Autostar models that will work. Some might lack some convenient functions, but still control the mount. There also is an "Autostar ETX" that I was able to use with my LXD55 and 75 mounts. I believe it was packaged with some ETX Maks during some period in the past, but I found it to be functionally identical to the 497.

Also, with the addition of a Meade 505 cable, the LXD55 can be controlled with a laptop using ASCOM drivers and programs such as Stellarium and Kstars. This still requires the handset to be present and connected, because the cable connects to a second jack on its bottom, but if the handset problem is just some inoperable buttons, that doesn't usually affect laptop control.

My experience with the Autostar is that cleaning rarely works, and if it does, not for long. One of the kits is definitely needed and will definitely fix this problem for good. :)

My experience:  https://uncle-rods.b...ng-charity.html

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics