•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Comet Leonard on the Morning of November 25, 2021

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 james7ca

james7ca

Voyager 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 25 November 2021 - 02:51 PM

Happy Thanksgiving and here is a real "turkey" (of an image).

Only eight minutes of total integration time and shot just about at astronomical dawn. Taken using an OPT 6" Newtonian with a Baader MPCC coma corrector and an uncooled QHY5III-178C camera. Image capture using SharpCap Pro. Image processing with PixInsight and Photoshop 2021.

The comet was at an altitude of 51 degrees in the eastern sky with the waning gibbous moon about 40 minutes past the meridian (comet and moon were separated by about 50 degrees). Plus, my typical Bortle 7 skies and very poor seeing. Shot just as a "why not" after a session on the moon.

The background stars range from magnitude 11 to 14, with the double star Scheiner 533 (WDS 12479+3208) to the left of the comet (this double has two nearly equal magnitude -- 11.1 and 11.8 -- stars separated by 23 arc seconds). The total width of the field is just under one half degree. So, the comet appears to be about six arc minutes in length (coma and tail).

Thanks for looking and C&C welcomed.

Attached Thumbnails

• Comet Leonard November 25 2021.jpg

Edited by james7ca, 25 November 2021 - 03:47 PM.

• JMP, h2ologg, Jaimo! and 17 others like this

#2 Knasal

Knasal

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Wisconsin, USA

Posted 25 November 2021 - 03:19 PM

I think it’s a wonderful image and beautiful !

Great work!

Kevin

#3 IR656nm

IR656nm

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 25 November 2021 - 03:38 PM

Not bad at all ! How did you find it the comet so quickly ?

#4 Dpasqa

Dpasqa

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Asheville NC

Posted 25 November 2021 - 05:07 PM

Beautiful, You must live in a total dark sky location. I wonder if I can see it with my Orion XT8 with my lack of total darkness. 

#5 james7ca

james7ca

Voyager 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 26 November 2021 - 01:13 AM

Kevin, IR656nm, Dpasqa, and all of those who liked this, thanks for the notice.

To find the comet I used SkySafari Pro to get the comet's coordinates and then I entered those into my goto mount (after a sync on the star Regulus). The framing you see here is what those coordinates produced.

I don't live in a dark sky location, I'm in a red zone or a Bortle 7 area and most of the frames for this integration were done after the start of astronomical dawn. In fact, at the end of the sequence (not included in the above image) the sky had already turned to a vivid blue.

I have another eight frames or so that are probably dark enough (before the dawn) to add to the integration so I'll probably process those and add them to the above image. I think I can also do an animation showing the movement of the comet and the dawn sky turning blue. That is, if I can get the later frames to register, I had to use PixInsight's manual dynamic alignment tool to register the sixteen frames that I've used so far. Following that initial registration (on the stars) I then used PixInsight's comet align tool to align to the comet itself.

Edited by james7ca, 26 November 2021 - 02:06 AM.

• h2ologg and IR656nm like this

#6 IR656nm

IR656nm

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted Yesterday, 04:52 AM

Thanks Kevin,

I should do the same and use Cartes du Ciel or similar program to direct my GoTo mount.

Most of the time, the view is blocked by houses, house extensions and garages !!!

Thanks

Magnus

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics