•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Can you dither without guiding?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 primeshooter

primeshooter

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 November 2021 - 03:39 PM

Using a star adventurer 2i and a DSLR / lenses? I use the App and noticed the setting...

Edited by primeshooter, 25 November 2021 - 03:39 PM.

#2 Dynan

Dynan

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: NOLA

Posted 25 November 2021 - 04:54 PM

Yes you can, and it's a good thing to do. In SGP there are setting for dither without guiding also.

• happylimpet and primeshooter like this

#3 primeshooter

primeshooter

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 November 2021 - 05:26 PM

Yes you can, and it's a good thing to do. In SGP there are setting for dither without guiding also.

So just go into the software on my star adventurer app and set it to dither every 3 frames or so and that is it? Does it affect how I work the data through DSS?

#4 Dynan

Dynan

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: NOLA

Posted 25 November 2021 - 10:44 PM

I dither each frame, which may be overdoing it. I have the old mind-set of, 'If some is good, more is better'...[smile]

It shouldn't affect you processing unless you have too aggressive a dither setting. You don't want the image marching out of the FOV. I use a medium setting (not sure what that is in terms of pixels) in SGP with a random pattern. While this necessitates a crop around the edges, it never been enough to compromise an image.

The old adage "Dither or Die" (which may not be valid in all situations) convinced me to make sure I dither. I've seen too many nice images ruined by what is called 'walking noise'...a streaky pattern that is hard (if not impossible) to process out.

Just make sure you have enough 'settling time' after the dither. A few seconds should suffice. It's a small time fee for best results.

#5 primeshooter

primeshooter

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 November 2021 - 07:01 AM

I dither each frame, which may be overdoing it. I have the old mind-set of, 'If some is good, more is better'...[smile]

It shouldn't affect you processing unless you have too aggressive a dither setting. You don't want the image marching out of the FOV. I use a medium setting (not sure what that is in terms of pixels) in SGP with a random pattern. While this necessitates a crop around the edges, it never been enough to compromise an image.

The old adage "Dither or Die" (which may not be valid in all situations) convinced me to make sure I dither. I've seen too many nice images ruined by what is called 'walking noise'...a streaky pattern that is hard (if not impossible) to process out.

Just make sure you have enough 'settling time' after the dither. A few seconds should suffice. It's a small time fee for best results.

Thanks for the advice so far. On the SA app I just have a dithering range (arcmin) option. What would you put there?

Someone has posted this on a reddit - If you're not guiding, your tracking will not be precise enough to need dithering. You'll have a bunch of problems but dithering won't be one of them.

True or false?

Edited by primeshooter, 26 November 2021 - 08:15 AM.

#6 primeshooter

primeshooter

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 November 2021 - 07:32 AM

Should I drizzle also then while I am at it in DSS?

#7 8472

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 26 November 2021 - 08:46 AM

Thanks for the advice so far. On the SA app I just have a dithering range (arcmin) option. What would you put there?

Someone has posted this on a reddit - If you're not guiding, your tracking will not be precise enough to need dithering. You'll have a bunch of problems but dithering won't be one of them.

True or false?

False

• niaz and primeshooter like this

#8 crackout

crackout

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Augsburg, Germany

Posted 26 November 2021 - 10:08 AM

You definitely have to find out the settle time of your mount after a dither pulse.
Depending on your desired accuracy and mount, this could take from several seconds to even minutes.
When guiding, you usually define a settle condition (total RMS below x arc/px for y seconds) after which the next sub starts.

Edited by crackout, 26 November 2021 - 10:10 AM.

#9 whwang

whwang

Soyuz

Posted 26 November 2021 - 11:50 AM

False

Agree. If one doesn’t guide, the tracking errors are usually not random enough and can cause walking noise.
  • primeshooter likes this

#10 calypsob

calypsob

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Virginia

Posted 26 November 2021 - 12:23 PM

With DSLR, try and select the most aggressive dither option if you are shooting wide field, it helps rejection go a long ways 

#11 niaz

niaz

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Barbados

Posted 26 November 2021 - 01:12 PM

for the dithering range, use this formula

d = 35*p/f

p= pixel size of your sensor in um

f= focal length of the lens in mm

e.g with my EOS R with pixel size 5.36 um and 400mm lens

dithering range = (35*5.36) / 400

= 187.6 /400

= 0.469

in the SAM app if you need decimal places just put 0 first and then edit it and the decimal point will appear.

#12 Frosth76

Frosth76

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: High Coast of Sweden

Posted Yesterday, 02:41 AM

I just started out and after some research I made a video regarding dithering that might be useful to some of you out there. I use a Canon 60D DSLR (unmodified).
https://www.youtube....h?v=YcBOJuKDoMQ

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics