•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Now what rasa? Imaging session already off to a rough start...

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 wxcloud

wxcloud

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Denver, Co

Posted 25 November 2021 - 05:38 PM

Welp, think this scope is going back into storage. It's developed yet another issue, now if I want to change filters I have to take the entire imaging train off of it. No idea what happened. When I first got this thing and the filter drawer the m42 to m48 adapter stuck to the nose piece where it remained until sometime an outing ago when unbeknownst to me the ring unbinded and freed. Didn't know that until the next outing when I had trouble getting the filter drawer slotted in. The knob kept hitting the retaining ring on the rasa. For some reason the camera and starizona filter drawer now goes a bit further into the retaining ring and now, even if I remove the knob from the drawer I cannot get the drawer to slide in because it's now blocked by the retaining ring.

Not only trying to test things out before running it outside threads slipped and so did my fingers right onto the corrector.

Think the thing is just going to go back in it's box and storage.

Wonder if I can get the spacing correct on the refractor. Not sure these one to three hour sessions every few weeks are just not cutting it...

#2 Psyire

Psyire

Apollo

• Loc: 55* North

Posted 25 November 2021 - 06:22 PM

Sorry to hear about the frustrations.  I feel your pain, I've been fighting with spacing issues on my three scopes every since I bought an Esatto Focuser.  Need multiple length M56 extensions?  yeah, good luck.  Adapters and spacers are by far my most hated part of the hobby.  I guess maybe once I have it figured out it will 'go away' for good, but it sure is frustrating.  Hopefully someone else with a RASA 8 can comment on how they've incorporated filters into their imaging train.  Best to take a break and come back and tackle it once the frustration is gone.  Good luck!

• Ron (Lubbock) likes this

#3 wxcloud

wxcloud

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 November 2021 - 06:49 PM

Went for the AT80EDT, inserted another thin spacer between the 533 and reducer flattener. Guess I'll try and focus on maybe trying to get the field flatter then my last outing. Thinking even though I enjoy the speed of the rasa, perhaps just focus on a main imaging refractor where it can be pretty much be left set up.

#4 wxcloud

wxcloud

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 November 2021 - 07:29 PM

And another kick me... Neighbors turned their bright flood light on.

I give up :(
  • Starsareus likes this

#5 alphatripleplus

alphatripleplus

World Controller

• Moderators
  • Loc: Georgia

Posted 25 November 2021 - 08:40 PM

Ouch, but hopefully they will turn their lights off sometime, and you can continue testing the AT80EDT.

#6 klaussius

klaussius

Apollo

• Loc: Buenos Aires

Posted 26 November 2021 - 08:14 AM

And another kick me... Neighbors turned their bright flood light on.

I give up :(

Man, I know the feeling. I moved to a new apartment I chose specifically because it has a 360° view of the sky from the roof, only to find out first time I go there at night that there's a couple of flood lights turned on all night long. Not even a motion sensor or anything.

Still not sure what to do about it. At least you can talk to your neighbor and ask him not to leave the lights on, I hope.

#7 Delta608

Delta608

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Tampa Bay Florida

Posted 26 November 2021 - 12:05 PM

Welp, think this scope is going back into storage. It's developed yet another issue, now if I want to change filters I have to take the entire imaging train off of it. No idea what happened. When I first got this thing and the filter drawer the m42 to m48 adapter stuck to the nose piece where it remained until sometime an outing ago when unbeknownst to me the ring unbinded and freed. Didn't know that until the next outing when I had trouble getting the filter drawer slotted in. The knob kept hitting the retaining ring on the rasa. For some reason the camera and starizona filter drawer now goes a bit further into the retaining ring and now, even if I remove the knob from the drawer I cannot get the drawer to slide in because it's now blocked by the retaining ring.

Not only trying to test things out before running it outside threads slipped and so did my fingers right onto the corrector.

Think the thing is just going to go back in it's box and storage.

Wonder if I can get the spacing correct on the refractor. Not sure these one to three hour sessions every few weeks are just not cutting it...

Ya know, my wife says go ahead and get it, referring to the RASA in stock yesterday...I know people usually don't post of the no issues they get, but your issue was it for me, RASA is out..I feel like I just made 1800 bucks, so I'm looking hard at Agena Astro for something !!!!!!

#8 Phishin_phool

Phishin_phool

Viking 1

• Loc: Ohio

Posted 26 November 2021 - 12:30 PM

Man, I know the feeling. I moved to a new apartment I chose specifically because it has a 360° view of the sky from the roof, only to find out first time I go there at night that there's a couple of flood lights turned on all night long. Not even a motion sensor or anything.

Still not sure what to do about it. At least you can talk to your neighbor and ask him not to leave the lights on, I hope.

You need to invest in a good BB gun.

#9 Phishin_phool

Phishin_phool

Viking 1

Posted 26 November 2021 - 12:33 PM

OP- sorry to hear that. My RASA has been nothing but a blessing to me. Improved my captures 200% and with the limited clear skies I get here I am often out when I otherwise wouldnt be.

#10 wxcloud

wxcloud

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 November 2021 - 02:37 PM

Don't let my misadventures with the rasa scare you away from the thing, in the right hands it seems very capable, although around here I don't see a huge groupings of rasa users, nor fast telescopes in general. Refractors do seem to be the more dominant types for astrophotography. I have to set up and break the thing down every infrequent use...

Anyway a continuation from last night... Knew clouds where due in around noon. Figured I'd try solar. Well, already when I got up a sheet of clouds patched their way in before noon. Figured I'd try anyway. Opted for a new solar set up using the quark as I got most of the parts for it finally. Battery, t ring, tilt adapter. Able to mount the televue sol searcher onto it to make finding things easier (seemed to be the one thing that worked decent...) Opted for the ZenithStar 61.

Got things set up slowly as I kind of did a rough set up last night to make sure things fit. Surprisingly they did. Anyway I opted for the diagonal instead of straight through since I plopped the mount down and wasn't sure on how close things where going to be. Turns out fairly close and the finder was close enough for a quick find. I did this as the quark was uh charging or warming up. Got focus and things seemed ok despite the sheet of clouds that moved in. As I was waiting and checking out what the dial did to get the best view I used a bulb blower to try and remove some dust. Didn't work too well. Then walking in front of the objective on the ZenithStar, it looked like glitter was all over it! Really not sure what or how, I'm thinking last outing (it'd been a while) perhaps it dewed up and collected some dirt and dust as it dried. I don't know. I figured to just press on.

Views though the quark seemed ok but I really didn't like the dial and wait method. How frustrating the LUNT LS50THA is, at least it's got the more tactical feedback to it.

Once the dial adjustment turned green, I didn't like the view so I went the other way while I lugges out more stuff to try and image. While I was doing this evidently the battery shut off... So either it's got a timer or the cord is junk or the quark didn't draw enough power because it was cooling down. Not sure but the battery pack I waited for for a while along with other parts to finally put this rig together, was off. I hit the power button.

Finally got things pieced together and wanted to try some imaging as that was the plan the last day or so... The biggest sensor chip I got is the 1600mm which has been recommended before in the solar forum once again wouldn't come into focus. Also wouldn't have been so bad but the glare was horrible, much like last night.

I pulled the plug on this experiment also.

I'm not sure where I am at. Still frustrated. I did manage to see some details on the sun, I'm sure the clouds and glitter coated objective didn't help.
  • Phishin_phool likes this

#11 wxcloud

wxcloud

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 November 2021 - 06:55 PM

Guess maybe I should rename this thread to misadventures with astrophotography...

Anyway...
Since it was supposed to be clear again today with some rough seeing at about noon, still a sheet of clouds pouring in. I set up anyway with the AT80EDT, stuck the zwo focus motor on the thing. I mean why not? So far the floodlight next door is off (was off last night with marginal skies but early work shift today...) It's nearing dark now so wouldn't be surprised to see it flip on with my gear sitting outside airing out under the supposed clear skies cloud cover. Thinking also why not tinker some more and run the USB repeater line to outside and try to run it from indoors.

Also thinking of a plan B if the auto focus borks ekos as it's been known to do on me with ekos or I can't get the flattener spacing right and rig up the redcat with the monochrome camera and filter set?

I guess this is potentially better than just giving up. Trying not to take it so serious :)

Edit 1
Clouds did roll out, floodlight still off. So 2 up but autofocusing didn't work, kept defocusing the star which was otherwise decent then complained it could not find any stars after it picked one and defocused. So removed that. Now struggling with spacing seemingly making it worse. Can't believe stars are as bad as they are with a 1" sensor, almost slashes in the corners. :(

Not going too well. Sort of got backspace a little better, think it's still off a little bit. It's closer but now guiding is whack. Again. This data is practice I guess. Guiding is hovering around 2.75 and the plot has the points veering NW. Seeing is average at best and object is kind of low but the RMS seems whack.

I wonder if I should have tried a couple thin spacers in the rasa...

Edited by wxcloud, 28 November 2021 - 10:09 PM.

#12 biomedchad

biomedchad

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Galion, Ohio

Posted 29 November 2021 - 12:59 PM

I just dropped another $650 on the octopi space adapter for my rasa 8 to try and achieve a flat field. F2 is tough and with a large sensor like my 2600 or 183 it’s even harder to achieve that. Celestron sold us short with the crap adapters and poor machining. All of that seems to matter at f2 and that’s why hyperstar systems have built in collimation screws. If this doesn’t work it’s gone for a nice refractor but availability is keeping me focused On this project for now.

#13 wxcloud

wxcloud

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 29 November 2021 - 01:15 PM

650 bucks for an adapter?! Ugh that stings. At that point I'd be looking at something else (actually I kind of am...)

I'm going through what could loosely be called "data" from lasts night uh, outing. It's mostly just tests. Guide issues as usual (it could be still user error but...) Spacing was still off. Just an uphill battle.

#14 Phishin_phool

Phishin_phool

Viking 1

Posted 29 November 2021 - 03:59 PM

I am also getting an octopi adapter as well. I am not having any issues but I needed a filter drawer system for my RASA and narrowband filters. Since I would have been in for $200 on a traditional filter drawer I went all in so in case I have any tilt or need to address spacing issues I can. Luckily at present astro gear seems to be holding its value pretty well. And it arrived last night!!

Edited by Phishin_phool, 30 November 2021 - 11:07 AM.

#15 biomedchad

biomedchad

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Galion, Ohio

Posted 29 November 2021 - 08:28 PM

It’s a good value if you haven’t bought anything for the rasa. It solves many issues. It’s a pain to get it all working. Especially in the cold. But it is the only true answer.

#16 Ron (Lubbock)

Ron (Lubbock)

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Pittstown, NY

Posted Today, 11:57 AM

Here's another vote for "Adapters and spacers are by far my most hated part of the hobby."

My antisocial neighbor has some kind of issue with my telescope, so he pointed the motion sensors for his floodlights right at my back door/patio where I use my gear.  I walk out, they go on.  His house is like 125 feet away, but they are ridiculously powerful floodlights with a super long-range motion sensor.  It's impossible to talk to him, because he basically runs away any time I or the neighbors approach him.  My solution was a DIY 8-foot privacy fence around the patio.  It doubles as a wind-blocker to protect my gear on breezy nights.  Best $400 I ever spent in this hobby.

Edited by Ron (Lubbock), Today, 11:58 AM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics