•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Solar h-alpha sketching?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 betacygni

betacygni

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 25 November 2021 - 09:01 PM

After thinking about getting into solar h-alpha imaging to document the one of a kind solar features we can observe, I thought maybe it would be more fun and personal to try solar sketching.

Trouble is I’ve never tried my hand at sketching before. Any suggestions on media, basic techniques, etc, to get started? I think I’d only be sketching the prominences. So maybe just a regular pencil and paper, then shading/smudging? Maybe there are better types of pencils/materials?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions. Hopefully I can pull off something better than stick figure prominences!
  • Look at the sky 101 likes this

#2 frank5817

frank5817

Hubble

• Moderators
  • Loc: Mesa, Arizona

Posted 25 November 2021 - 09:09 PM

There are some here.  They are old but very good. Tutorial from an expert Erika Rix.

Frank

• betacygni and Look at the sky 101 like this

#3 betacygni

betacygni

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 25 November 2021 - 11:03 PM

Awesome, thank you Frank, excellent link. Exactly the kind of info I was looking for, didn’t find that in my search.

#4 Look at the sky 101

Look at the sky 101

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: On the bleu dot, 45.20 n 123,09 w

Posted 25 November 2021 - 11:07 PM

There are some here.  They are old but very good. Tutorial from an expert Erika Rix.

Frank

Thanks 

Awesome, thank you Frank, excellent link. Exactly the kind of info I was looking for, didn’t find that in my search.

Thanks for the thread .

#5 Look at the sky 101

Look at the sky 101

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: On the bleu dot, 45.20 n 123,09 w

Posted 25 November 2021 - 11:12 PM

Frank

Hi ,

Is there anything for the planets?

Thanks in advance. 

#6 frank5817

frank5817

Hubble

• Moderators
  • Loc: Mesa, Arizona

Posted 26 November 2021 - 12:59 AM

We could use some tutorials on planet sketching at the eyepiece all in one place. Here are few folks here at Cloudy Nights that do great work on sketching the planets at the eyepiece. If you search through recent pages you will find some of their Mercury, Venus, Jupiter, Saturn, Mars, Uranus and Nepture sketches and some discussion on materials used:

David Gray, Special Ed, Asbytec, Quinnipiac Monster, Warmvet, Gregrox, Aquarellia, astronz59, chrisnuttall,
stanislas-jean,Uwe Pilz .  to name just a few

A work I would recommend is this book: Astronomical Sketching: A Step-by-Step Introduction (The Patrick Moore Practical Astronomy Series) 2007th Edition

by Richard Handy, David B. Moody, Jeremy Perez, Erika Rix, Sol Robbins (all members here or former members)

other places to visit: Drawing the Planets: some tips and anecdotes   https://www.britastro.org/node/21923

https://www.astrolea...ching-resources

http://alpo-astronomy.org/

Others here may have suggestions on planet sketching tutorials

• mdowns and Look at the sky 101 like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics