•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Need HELP! Starting from Scratch.

Accessories Astrophotography Beginner EQ Equipment Imaging Mount Refractor Tripod
  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 FirmiKiwi

FirmiKiwi

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Hamilton, New Zealand

Posted 26 November 2021 - 06:58 PM

I will find myself in a position in the coming year to be able to spend up to but not exceeding US$14,000 solely on astro gear. Now I know its not very much when compared to what some mounts and scopes cost. But its a lot for me.

What I am looking for is some advice and guidance form this amazing community on what you would do if given the chance to start again with this amount.

I do have a fair idea of what I would like to get but getting input from the community is always a worthwhile exercise. 

One thing that has to be considered with your suggestions is the cost of International postage. Its a killer for me and has the potential to effect the end goal.

I would like to enter into Narrowband imaging from the outset so a filter wheel and filters needs to be included in the inventory. I would say that a Mono camera is a no brainier for NB imaging.

And this is why I need your input. This path leads to so many varying roads that one can make a mistake that could be costly in the long run.

#2 ETtheExtraterrestrial

ETtheExtraterrestrial

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 26 November 2021 - 07:15 PM

If you could describe what you’re able to do with your setup what would it be?

#3 FirmiKiwi

FirmiKiwi

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 November 2021 - 08:07 PM

If you could describe what you’re able to do with your setup what would it be?

I don't have the setup. Which is the purpose of the post. The purpose of the equipment will be for Astrophotography.

#4 ETtheExtraterrestrial

ETtheExtraterrestrial

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 26 November 2021 - 08:24 PM

Sorry I probably worded that completely wrong. What do you want to shoot?

#5 ETtheExtraterrestrial

ETtheExtraterrestrial

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 26 November 2021 - 08:25 PM

Have you ever done astrophotography before?

#6 ETtheExtraterrestrial

ETtheExtraterrestrial

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 26 November 2021 - 08:34 PM

Start with a mount. A good mount. As I’m sure you know you could blow the 14K in a heartbeat on just that. You could go with a HEQ6 or an Ioptron CEM70 and be 1800-2500 and probably get everything you’d ultimately want out of it. Otherwise the prices can jump to five K easy.

A great 80mm refractor is awesome! Skywatcher Esprit80ED is great 1800

A a good monochrome camera but that is subjective as the camera is very dependent on the scope. Let’s say 2-2500. We’ll use a ZWO 2600MM Pro.

Filter wheel and filters a grand.

Pegasus powerbox and usb hub 700 buckshot

Power supply 300

I’d add another scope either a William Optics 132 FLP or maybe a Celestron 9.25 or 11 edge hd but that opens up a lot more questions.

#7 FirmiKiwi

FirmiKiwi

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 November 2021 - 09:29 PM

Sorry I probably worded that completely wrong. What do you want to shoot?

DSO.

Have you ever done astrophotography before?

Yes. But not DSO. More landscape. Been doing photography for approximately 20 years

#8 FirmiKiwi

FirmiKiwi

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 November 2021 - 09:41 PM

Start with a mount. A good mount. As I’m sure you know you could blow the 14K in a heartbeat on just that. You could go with a HEQ6 or an Ioptron CEM70 and be 1800-2500 and probably get everything you’d ultimately want out of it. Otherwise the prices can jump to five K easy.

A great 80mm refractor is awesome! Skywatcher Esprit80ED is great 1800

A a good monochrome camera but that is subjective as the camera is very dependent on the scope. Let’s say 2-2500. We’ll use a ZWO 2600MM Pro.

Filter wheel and filters a grand.

Pegasus powerbox and usb hub 700 buckshot

Power supply 300

I’d add another scope either a William Optics 132 FLP or maybe a Celestron 9.25 or 11 edge hd but that opens up a lot more questions.

Great suggestions. Especially the one about the WO 132. As this budget is a one and done, I believe I could get more (usage and years) out of a longer scope. Couldn't I just mosaic if a target is to magnified??

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Accessories, Astrophotography, Beginner, EQ, Equipment, Imaging, Mount, Refractor, Tripod

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics