•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Rokinon binos, anybody using them?

Binoculars Optics Equipment
  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ChuppsterXLM

ChuppsterXLM

Explorer 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Honolulu, HI

Posted 26 November 2021 - 11:23 PM

Back in 2013 I got a pair of 20x80 binoculars by Rokinon. Views through them are not bad but not the best. Views look cloudy when compared to my Orion's 15x70 from my light polluted backyard in Honolulu. There are plenty of reviews and articles about Rokinon camera lenses but not about their binos. I'm about to get rid of them and upgrade to Oberwerks. Anybody using Rokinon glass lately? Please advise.

Attached Thumbnails

• Rokinon.jpg
  • Rokinon 2.jpg
  • Rokinon 3.jpg

#2 hallelujah

hallelujah

Cosmos

• Loc: North Star over Colorado

Posted 26 November 2021 - 11:51 PM

Not much on the internet about reviews for Rokinon 20x80 binoculars. confused1.gif

Perhaps that says it all.....

Stan

• ChuppsterXLM and sevenofnine like this

#3 Rokkor

Rokkor

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 27 November 2021 - 02:04 AM

Rokinon is a camera lens brand of Samyang, a Korean company - which always had a bad reputation except for their fisheye wide-angle lenses. In recent years they've much improved like other third-party lens makers but their competitors from China are just better. 

Your binoculars are I'd guess just licensing the name - or they're maybe even completely unrelated to the company. There seems to be a few more Rokinon and Samyang branded binoculars online - all very cheaply made.

At least your 20x80 doesn't look cheap on the outside but that does nothing to improve the views as you've found. They may have become a bit hazed internally over the years. 

• ChuppsterXLM likes this

#4 drt3d

drt3d

Messenger

• Loc: Cleveland Ohio USA

Posted 27 November 2021 - 02:12 PM

Rokinon is a camera lens brand of Samyang, a Korean company - which always had a bad reputation except for their fisheye wide-angle lenses. In recent years they've much improved like other third-party lens makers but their competitors from China are just better. 

I have been a photographer for over 30 years. Rokinon and Samyang are fine lenses, never had a bad reputation.

Their competitors are not in China. I cannot name even one Chinese lens manufacturer. All the generic lens brands (Tokina, Sigma, and others) are Japanese.

I have never heard of Rokinon binoculars. 

George

#5 sevenofnine

sevenofnine

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Santa Rosa, California

Posted 27 November 2021 - 09:04 PM

Very often the camera lens manufacturer and the binocular manufacturer are not the same. They are contracted out to other Asian sources. You will be impressed with your new Oberwerk binoculars. I have several and no regrets waytogo.gif

#6 ChuppsterXLM

ChuppsterXLM

Explorer 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Honolulu, HI

Posted 27 November 2021 - 09:33 PM

I also have a pair of Rokinon 10x42 that I only use for birding. Still, views are not the best, kind of hazy and lacking contrast.

10x42 Rokinon

#7 Rokkor

Rokkor

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 29 November 2021 - 12:39 PM

I have been a photographer for over 30 years. Rokinon and Samyang are fine lenses, never had a bad reputation.

Their competitors are not in China. I cannot name even one Chinese lens manufacturer. All the generic lens brands (Tokina, Sigma, and others) are Japanese.

I have never heard of Rokinon binoculars. 

George

Well I may have been a bit harsh, but I have pretty much only ever seen them discussed and used in the context of extra-wide angle and fisheye lenses because most people are unwilling to put a lot of money into either, since they're not the kind of lenses that see extensive use (and therefore 'value'). For the money they charge, performance seems in line with expectations. Today, Tokina, Cosina, Sigma and Tamron are all first-rate lensmakers and can hardly be categorised in the same way as Samyang. 

I have probably missed a few but these are the Chinese brands I know - they have mainly popped up here in the last 10 years:

- Venus Optics - they offer some unique designs aiming for high quality. The founder had been working in Japan and Germany designing lenses for the usual names.

- Viltrox is another mainly known for their 85mm F1.8 lens.

- Meike is mostly making ultrawides and fisheyes, but also a line of affordable cinema lenses. 

- NiSi Optics makes filters and a more expensive line of cinema lenses. 

- Zhongyi makes the Mitakon lenses which are rebranded by many, and some high quality focal reducers. 

- Jakumei Optics makes just one lens, a vintage-style 85mm F2 APO, which is apparently a bit so-so.

- Yongnuo is that company known for blatantly copying and reverse-engineering the Canon 50mm F1.8 and now they have some other lenses to go with it. Supposed to be cheap but offering autofocus and good value. 

- Light Lens Lab is a company reverse-engineering classic Leica lenses and copying their performance exactly. They have completed a 35mm F2 v1 (8 element) (known as '8 Pieces of Jade' in China), a 50mm F2 ELCAN and currently there is a reversal of the Zeiss Hologon 15mm F8 in the works. All very well made and all very expensive. They will copy and reproduce the original accessories and adapters too. 

The two main historical companies of China making cameras and lenses were Shanghai Seagull and Phenix Optics of Guangzhou. Seagull received a foreign investment and production line & rights from Minolta in the 80s after they were impressed with the way their older cameras had been reverse-engineered since the 1960s, but they would be forced to design their own lenses. Minolta also invested in Samsung Aerospace at the same time to license-produce some SLRs and lenses in Korea, as well as some electronic compact cameras.

Cameras were never cheap enough for Chinese and as far as I know, so there is no successful brand of digital cameras designed there today. Seagull attempted to develop digital cameras some years ago but the products were technically outdated and too expensive. 

I suppose the peak maturity of expertise from other optical industries in China is why there is a sudden explosion of camera lens producers in China. 

I also have a pair of Rokinon 10x42 that I only use for birding. Still, views are not the best, kind of hazy and lacking contrast.

Maybe they are not phase-coated and also just using aluminium or silver mirror coatings instead of dielectric. 

Does it say where they are made, or do you remember from the packaging? I'm curious if they are really Korean or just Chinese. 

Edited by Rokkor, 29 November 2021 - 12:43 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Binoculars, Optics, Equipment

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics