•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Televue 60mm

NV Observing Refractor Visual
  • Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 4alien51

4alien51

Explorer 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Spring creek NV

Posted 26 November 2021 - 11:27 PM

Hi everyone. I am considering adding a Televue 60mm to my collection. I am considering it for its extreme portability for when I am hiking and backpacking. I feel like it would be excellent for birding while I am out in the mountains and for visual astronomy when I am deep in the wilderness backpacking. I am really interested in how it would do with night vision considering that is my main way of observing. Was thinking the 40mm plossl and my PVS14 would set me up for some great views. I currently have an NP127, a TV85, and a 12 inch apertura. My binos are 10x50 SLC Swarovskis for glassing on hunts and celestron skymaster 25x70s for astronomy. The celestron binos hardly get used. Night vision aside I am just interested how people like using a 60mm scope for visual use. I may just be getting impulsive and thinking a 60mm scope would benefit me any better than my 85mm. Hope to hear back from anyone and thank you for reading. 

- Michael 

• Castor likes this

#2 nicknacknock

nicknacknock

A man of many qualities, even if they are mostly bad ones

• Moderators
  • Loc: Nicosia, Cyprus

Posted 27 November 2021 - 12:27 AM

Hi Michael,

I had this scope and while it is a lovely performer, for 113 grams extra weight, you can get the AstroTech 60 ED, which comes with a 2” “proper” focuser, giving you the flexibility to use a 55mm Plossl with your NV device, or use a 2” eyepiece and enjoy up to 7.5 degrees TFOV. 

Every gram counts when hiking, but the extra flexibility afforded by a) a 2” focuser and b) a “proper” focuser and not a helical one, makes the 113 or so grams of the AT worthwhile.

As a benefit, you save a ton of money to get whatever accessories you want for the AT (red dot finder, additional finderbase, 2” diagonal) and still come out ahead.

• Castor and BFaucett like this

#3 BFaucett

BFaucett

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Houston, Texas 29.78° N

Posted 27 November 2021 - 01:00 AM

+1 on the AT60ED. I truly enjoy using mine. I'm not a hiker or backpacker, however. I just observe from my patio. FWIW, I'll add that the AT60ED works very well on the Vixen Mobile Porta. 

Astro-Tech AT60ED
https://www.astronom...ed-doublet.html

Click on the pics for a larger image. 

sml_gallery_230527_15123_1489063.jpg

sml_gallery_230527_15123_2829590.jpg

Just my two cents...  Cheers! Bob F. smile.gif

Edited by BFaucett, 27 November 2021 - 01:16 AM.

• Castor, aa6ww and nicknacknock like this

#4 Traveler

Traveler

Skylab

• Loc: The Netherlands

Posted 27 November 2021 - 01:22 AM

In the 60mm range, i decided to get a FS-60CB just because of the focusser. With that, it is more suitable for even AP.

When hiking however, i don't use the Tak, i use  a 60mm spottingscope. The one i bought is 700 gram and because of the very low price, i dont have to think about i handle the thing. The quality of the views are nicer then one would espect. For astro use, it gives not very wide views but the views are just ok for peeking and scanning the night sky.

but... when i bring also my 8x42 binoculair when hiking, i use the spottingscope not that much.

Good luck with your decision.  

forgot the link to the spottingscope i use: https://www.teleskop...ngled-view.html

Edited by Traveler, 27 November 2021 - 01:23 AM.

• Castor likes this

#5 4alien51

4alien51

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 27 November 2021 - 05:02 AM

I think I’m gonna go with the astro tech! I found one on astromart. Thanks for the help everyone 

• Castor, nicknacknock and BFaucett like this

#6 Alan French

Alan French

Night Owl

• Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 27 November 2021 - 08:18 AM

[In part]

I am considering adding a Televue 60mm to my collection. I am considering it for its extreme portability for when I am hiking and backpacking.

I am really interested in how it would do with night vision considering that is my main way of observing. 

I spent a night with a borrowed Televue 60 at WSP one year and used it some before dark. I can't help you with your night vision question, but I doubt you'd find a more compact, easier to handle and carry 60mm.

The helical focuser works fine, and a scope with a rack and pinion focuser is not going to be as compact and pinions can get bent. Adding a 2-inch diagonal, while nice for the wide field, also works against your desire for extreme portability. 

(I don't know how they'd work with night vision either, but a small birding scope might be a better fit for carrying while hiking. They tend to be more rugged and waterproof, good features for hikers.)

Clear skies, Alan

• Scott Beith, Castor and Spikey131 like this

#7 Jeff Gardner

Jeff Gardner

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 27 November 2021 - 11:38 AM

I own a TV-60 and AT-60ED and they are great scopes. However they are very different by design. The TV-60 is the ultimate travel scope and backpack scope with its compact lightweight design, helical focuser, and simple mounting requirements. The AT-60ED is more robust, heavier, and will carry your night vision device much better with it's R&P focuser. Optically they are very close although my TV-60 has slightly better optics. Others who have owned both scopes have had different opinions regarding the optics.

• Castor likes this

#8 Highburymark

Highburymark

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 27 November 2021 - 01:56 PM

I’ve just been considering the same question. An ultra easy 60mm scope for night vision - and have concluded the F/6 60ED is shorter and lighter than the TV60. Worth trying without a diagonal too: with the TV67mm plossl inserted directly in focuser, followed by PVS-14, it would offer around 5.5x, hand-held. Should be fun.

#9 Binojunky

Binojunky

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 27 November 2021 - 02:11 PM

I had a TV 60 for about three years, very good optics and build, however its only 60mm and I found that even a good 70mm scope outperformed it. Also the helical slide 1.25" focuser is IMHO crude compared with the modern two speed 2" R&P units now fitted to the vast number of import scopes. It was also limited as a birding /nature scope due to the lack of water and fog proofing, so if you buy be aware of these short comings, Dave.

• 4alien51 likes this

#10 4alien51

4alien51

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 27 November 2021 - 06:45 PM

I’ve just been considering the same question. An ultra easy 60mm scope for night vision - and have concluded the F/6 60ED is shorter and lighter than the TV60. Worth trying without a diagonal too: with the TV67mm plossl inserted directly in focuser, followed by PVS-14, it would offer around 5.5x, hand-held. Should be fun.

• William Jin likes this

#11 4alien51

4alien51

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 27 November 2021 - 06:46 PM

#12 4alien51

4alien51

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 27 November 2021 - 06:46 PM

That is such a good idea! Didn’t even think about it. I bought a Astro tech ed60 on Astromart today so I’ll make sure to let you know how it goes when it show up.

#13 4alien51

4alien51

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 27 November 2021 - 06:47 PM

I had a TV 60 for about three years, very good optics and build, however its only 60mm and I found that even a good 70mm scope outperformed it. Also the helical slide 1.25" focuser is IMHO crude compared with the modern two speed 2" R&P units now fitted to the vast number of import scopes. It was also limited as a birding /nature scope due to the lack of water and fog proofing, so if you buy be aware of these short comings, Dave.

#14 4alien51

4alien51

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 27 November 2021 - 06:50 PM

Yea it’s mostly going to be for ultra compact night vision use especially since I already have a TV85. I do have a Swarovski spotting scope which I use for glassing during hunting season so I’ll start giving that a shot for the occasional birding. Ended up going with the 60mm Astro tech.
  • Castor likes this

#15 Spikey131

Spikey131

Gemini

Posted 27 November 2021 - 08:02 PM

The TV 60 is all about being the best quality, most compact astronomy worthy 60mm refractor.  This is why it has a 1.25” helical focuser.  A 2” R & P or Crayford focuser loses on the “most compact” feature.  Spotting scopes are great with compactness and waterproofing, but even the best fail on the “astronomy worthy” category.  45 degree amici prisms just don’t do justice to nighttime skies.  The TV 60 has sharp, color free optics in an extremely compact form.  It fits in my collection between a Pentax 65mm spotter and a TV 76.

• Castor, alnitak22, Jeff Gardner and 1 other like this

#16 Jeff Gardner

Jeff Gardner

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 27 November 2021 - 08:06 PM

The TV 60 is all about being the best quality, most compact astronomy worthy 60mm refractor.  This is why it has a 1.25” helical focuser.  A 2” R & P or Crayford focuser loses on the “most compact” feature. 

+1, yes well said!

• Castor and alnitak22 like this

#17 GOLGO13

GOLGO13

Cosmos

• Loc: West Virginia

Posted 27 November 2021 - 08:11 PM

I've had the AT60ED, TV60, and Tak FS-60C. I ended up keeping the AT60ED which was in my opinion the best of the bunch in all categories. Well, the TV60 is the most compact I suppose.

#18 Look at the sky 101

Look at the sky 101

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Citizen of the earth .

Posted 27 November 2021 - 08:12 PM

The 60 of televue is a telescope of a very great quality.

And very underestimated.

• Castor likes this

#19 NC Startrekker

NC Startrekker

Apollo

• Loc: Sandhills of NC

Posted 27 November 2021 - 08:29 PM

I spent a night with a borrowed Televue 60 at WSP one year and used it some before dark. I can't help you with your night vision question, but I doubt you'd find a more compact, easier to handle and carry 60mm.

The helical focuser works fine, and a scope with a rack and pinion focuser is not going to be as compact and pinions can get bent. Adding a 2-inch diagonal, while nice for the wide field, also works against your desire for extreme portability. 

(I don't know how they'd work with night vision either, but a small birding scope might be a better fit for carrying while hiking. They tend to be more rugged and waterproof, good features for hikers.)

Clear skies, Alan

There’s a reason Al Nagler refers to it as his briefcase telescope. I have both a TV60 and a Tak FS-60Q. When it comes to compactness there’s no competition. The TV60 wins hands down even when using the Tak without the Q module (FS-60CB).

• Castor, alnitak22 and Look at the sky 101 like this

#20 alnitak22

alnitak22

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 27 November 2021 - 09:23 PM

The TV 60 is all about being the best quality, most compact astronomy worthy 60mm refractor.  This is why it has a 1.25” helical focuser.  A 2” R & P or Crayford focuser loses on the “most compact” feature.  Spotting scopes are great with compactness and waterproofing, but even the best fail on the “astronomy worthy” category.  45 degree amici prisms just don’t do justice to nighttime skies.  The TV 60 has sharp, color free optics in an extremely compact form.  It fits in my collection between a Pentax 65mm spotter and a TV 76.

Well, exactly!

#21 4alien51

4alien51

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 27 November 2021 - 10:22 PM

I ended up buying a used Astrotech 60ED. Picked up an extra Televue diagonal as well. This will be a nice collection to my other scopes and dark skies. I have plenty of other options for birding and terrestrial viewing so if this doesn’t work out for those reasons it will be a fun compact night vision scope and I’ll still be able to use my 55mm plossl with the 67mm converter. I’ll take a picture on Tuesday when I have the setup ready for everyone to see. Thanks again for everyone’s help. I love all the different opinions and advice.

Edited by 4alien51, 27 November 2021 - 10:22 PM.

• Castor, nicknacknock and BFaucett like this

#22 nicknacknock

nicknacknock

• Moderators

Posted 27 November 2021 - 11:44 PM

Congrats!

Do get a cheapish 45 degree erect prism diagonal and try it for terrestrial!

#23 4alien51

4alien51

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 28 November 2021 - 12:00 AM

Congrats!

Do get a cheapish 45 degree erect prism diagonal and try it for terrestrial!

#24 4alien51

4alien51

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 28 November 2021 - 12:01 AM

Thank you! Ok will do. Any recommendations on brand?

#25 nicknacknock

nicknacknock

• Moderators

Posted 28 November 2021 - 12:09 AM

This one is decent enough and price is good enough.

Tele Vue also have their own and if you Google “1.25” erecting prism diagonal”, there are many brands to pick from.

• Castor likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: NV, Observing, Refractor, Visual

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics