•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Televue 60mm

NV Observing Refractor Visual
  • Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#26 bobhen

bobhen

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 28 November 2021 - 06:51 AM

I owned an AT 60. I used it for NV deep sky observing at prime focus and it worked fine.

However. There is always a however…

The optical quality in my sample was mediocre at best, according to my star testing. It was fine for low power daytime and NV observing. It ain’t no Takahashi.

HERE is a review. The optical quality of my sample was better, but not by much.

The scope is heavy for its size and was more difficult or cumbersome riding on my lightweight alt/az mount than was my 102mm F5 achromat.

I sold mine in a few months, as the 102mm F5 achromat (which can be reduced to F3.5) was better for NV deep sky observing.

You already bought the AT 60 so it might work for you. If it does not, consider the 80mm F5 achromats. Add a 2” GSO focuser. They are lightweight, will work for NV and are fine for daytime use at the low powers used for daytime observing.

Bob

#27 Alan French

Alan French

Night Owl

• Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 28 November 2021 - 08:41 AM

You don't actually need an erecting system to use a small refractor terrestrially. Sitting or standing behind the telescope, using a standard star diagonal, or the TV 60-degree version, and looking down into the eyepiece will give an erect but reversed view. Upside down birds annoy me, backwards birds do not, so I've not bothered with an erecting system. Even if they don't degrade the image a bit, it's an additional expense and added clutter.

It does take some getting used to moving the telescope, but, having used astronomical telescopes for decades, I tended to move the scope the right way. It's my correct image spotting scope I tend to move the wrong way in azimuth. 

Clear skies, Alan

• Spikey131 likes this

#28 GOLGO13

GOLGO13

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: West Virginia

Posted 28 November 2021 - 11:40 AM

I owned an AT 60. I used it for NV deep sky observing at prime focus and it worked fine.

However. There is always a however…

The optical quality in my sample was mediocre at best, according to my star testing. It was fine for low power daytime and NV observing. It ain’t no Takahashi.

HERE is a review. The optical quality of my sample was better, but not by much.

The scope is heavy for its size and was more difficult or cumbersome riding on my lightweight alt/az mount than was my 102mm F5 achromat.

I sold mine in a few months, as the 102mm F5 achromat (which can be reduced to F3.5) was better for NV deep sky observing.

You already bought the AT 60 so it might work for you. If it does not, consider the 80mm F5 achromats. Add a 2” GSO focuser. They are lightweight, will work for NV and are fine for daytime use at the low powers used for daytime observing.

Bob

Bob,

I must have had some good luck. The AT60ED I got was when they first were released, and it's excellent on the star test. In fact, it bested two TV60s (which were good but not great in my opinion) and a Tak FS60-C (the old version). That being said, I'm sure it has a bit more variation in samples than the other ones. And it wasn't just star tests. I saw improvements in planetary performance also.

But I think there is always that case of sample variation that is something we should always consider when choosing telescopes. In my estimation, that is what we are generally buying when we go for a high end scope vs a value scope. The Astrotech telescopes seem to provide pretty good value, but could have some variation between samples. It seems to me that they have less variation than some of the other mid-level scopes (William Optics historically for example).

Either way, these small 60mm scopes have some value, but only for specific situations in my opinion. For me, the goal was a scope I could bring anywhere and was pretty compact. I use my 60mm on a Dwarfstar mount and a camera tripod. This provides an extreme portable setup for situations where that is needed. I like to use it for terrestrial and solar observing. 

However, I personally find these scopes to be too small for general observing as they run out of light too quickly. I picked up a Tak 76 DCU (but any 80mm class will do) as a wide field instrument. It's a really good telescope (best optics in my opinion of all my telescopes). The difference between the 76mm and the 60mm is quite significant and to me, unless you need extreme portability (like the OP is talking), I see no reason to use a 60mm over the 80mm class. Unless someone has physical issues that requires a super light and compact grab and go. Though the Tak 76DCU is pretty close in all respects.

Actually, because the Tak 76 DCU splits in two, it could be considered as an option for the OP's situation. The mount could be the same for a 60mm class and the 76 DCU.

• BFaucett, Spikey131 and 25585 like this

#29 Spikey131

Spikey131

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 28 November 2021 - 12:15 PM

I agree that a 76mm refractor is a more versatile instrument because of significantly greater light grasp and resolving power than a 60mm.  This is most obvious with planetary observation - the extra 16mm shows a brighter and more detailed Jupiter and Saturn.

So for me the whole point of the 60mm is compact size and portability.  And this is where the TV 60 excels.  It is only 10" long and 3 1/4" in diameter at its widest.  It has a simple and compact mounting system which allows for balancing the scope, a very important consideration in a device as short as it is.  It has provision for mounting a red dot finder.  It is what you would expect from Al Nagler - an imaginative, well thought out design.  Mine shows no color in focus, and shows stars with tight airy discs.

• Castor likes this

#30 GOLGO13

GOLGO13

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 28 November 2021 - 12:38 PM

I agree that a 76mm refractor is a more versatile instrument because of significantly greater light grasp and resolving power than a 60mm.  This is most obvious with planetary observation - the extra 16mm shows a brighter and more detailed Jupiter and Saturn.

So for me the whole point of the 60mm is compact size and portability.  And this is where the TV 60 excels.  It is only 10" long and 3 1/4" in diameter at its widest.  It has a simple and compact mounting system which allows for balancing the scope, a very important consideration in a device as short as it is.  It has provision for mounting a red dot finder.  It is what you would expect from Al Nagler - an imaginative, well thought out design.  Mine shows no color in focus, and shows stars with tight airy discs.

This is true. But I think the 76 DCU could work depending on the situation. Of course a much more expensive scope in general.

Think Tank Bag Packed

Edited by GOLGO13, 28 November 2021 - 12:41 PM.

• 25585 likes this

#31 25585

James Webb Space Telescope

• Loc: In a valley, in the SW UK. 51°N

Posted 28 November 2021 - 01:43 PM

Do the TV 60 & AT have retractable dewshields? 76 DCU does not but 76 DS has one. 76 DS has a 2" focuser as well, but its heavier.

#32 Spikey131

Spikey131

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 28 November 2021 - 01:53 PM

Do the TV 60 & AT have retractable dewshields? 76 DCU does not but 76 DS has one. 76 DS has a 2" focuser as well, but its heavier.

TV 60 dew shield retracts, and without a diagonal, the scope is 10” (25cm) long.

• Castor and 25585 like this

#33 25585

James Webb Space Telescope

• Loc: In a valley, in the SW UK. 51°N

Posted 28 November 2021 - 02:29 PM

I would need pre-owned to own one. But a 70 Ranger would be cool, especially a brass one!

• Castor likes this

#34 GOLGO13

GOLGO13

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 28 November 2021 - 02:49 PM

The AT60 also has a retractable dew shield.

To make the DCU a 2 inch focuser, you just have to add a Baader 2 inch click lock. This also gains some inward travel if that's necessary.

• Castor and 25585 like this

#35 4alien51

4alien51

Explorer 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Spring creek NV

Posted 29 November 2021 - 12:21 AM

+1 on the AT60ED. I truly enjoy using mine. I'm not a hiker or backpacker, however. I just observe from my patio. FWIW, I'll add that the AT60ED works very well on the Vixen Mobile Porta. 

Astro-Tech AT60ED
https://www.astronom...ed-doublet.html

Click on the pics for a larger image. 

attachicon.gifsml_gallery_230527_15123_1489063.jpg

attachicon.gifsml_gallery_230527_15123_2829590.jpg

Just my two cents...  Cheers! Bob F. smile.gif

What dovetail did you use on the AT60 to mount it to the vixen porta?

#36 BFaucett

BFaucett

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Houston, Texas 29.78° N

Posted 29 November 2021 - 01:08 AM

What dovetail did you use on the AT60 to mount it to the vixen porta?

Astro-Tech 7" universal dovetail plate
https://www.astronom...unts-black.html

I used two 1/4-20 bolts to attach the foot to the dovetail plate/bar. There are two 1/4-20 threaded holes on the bottom of the foot. I think the bolts I used were 5/8" in length but my memory might be faulty. 

I used these bolts:
https://www.amazon.c...uct/B07SPXSHH7/

Cheers! Bob F. smile.gif

edit to add: Click on the pic for a larger image (1600x1200). The focuser knob clears the foot and dovetail bar.

med_gallery_230527_15123_2829590.jpg

Edited by BFaucett, 29 November 2021 - 11:25 PM.

• Castor and nicknacknock like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: NV, Observing, Refractor, Visual

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics