•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Platesolving is amazing - a question

Imaging
  • Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Karlp295

Karlp295

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 November 2021 - 11:42 AM

I have this week used APT for the first time to platesolve and it is a revelation! No more wasted time and trouble trying to find and center an object and all the frustration. I am blown away by this!

One question though, I am using my laptop to do it but wonder if there is any way to try an ipad to platesolve. That would be amazing... 

#2 skywalker1215

skywalker1215

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 27 November 2021 - 11:50 AM

Sounds like what you’re after is the ability to remote access the laptop.

I use chrome Remote Desktop. It’s pretty simple to set up and there’s an iOS app that allows you to do it from a phone or iPad. Then it’ll feel like you’re doing everything from your iPad on your couch. 😎

There’s countless other remote options as well.

While you’re at it, have you used GoTo++ in APT? Then it finds and platesolves your target on its own. It requires the paid version though.

#3 Alex McConahay

Alex McConahay

Voyager 1

• Loc: Moreno Valley, CA

Posted 27 November 2021 - 12:09 PM

And, you ask about Plate Solving.....Yes, if you have the picture in the phone or pad, and you have an internet connection, you can do a plate solve. 

But the term "Plate Solve" is often misused as a short hand for "Centering using Plate Solving."

"Plate solving" is only identifying the central coordinates (and perhaps rotation) of an image. It has nothing to do with moving the telescope to a desired point. 

"Centering with Plate Solving" incorporates Plate solving into a routine that images, solves, moves, images, solves again, and keeps doing so until the rig is properly pointed. 

If what you like about "plate solving" is that the software "plate solves" and then "Centers" using iterative plate solving and moving the scope, then you need to be able to control the telescope mount as well as Plate Solve. 

I do not know of any phone/pad apps that can handle mount control. So, none (that I know of) can Center with Plate Solve. 

I also do not know of any apps that can plate solve without an internet connection on a pad or phone. 

But, if you have the picture in the pad or phone, you can use various plate solving services on the internet to solve the picture. 

And, others may know of apps that do this stuff that I am unaware of. 

Alex

#4 Forward Scatter

Forward Scatter

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Wandering the PNW

Posted 27 November 2021 - 12:14 PM

Platesolving is easiest handled by the scopeside PC through the acquisition software. So all one would need would be a remote desktop client, as Skywalker mentioned, to control the whole thing with a tablet. 

I haven't worked much with APT so I cannot address its capabilities, but I do highly recommend trying out NINA (free) for its advanced sequencer, its three-point polar alignment (no need for direct view of the NCP!), and its framing assistant. It can be set up to image all night long with no human input. Then an automated meridian flip and recentering would be even more of an epiphany!

• 1E1HFPPE likes this

#5 radon199

radon199

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Vancouver, Canada

Posted 27 November 2021 - 12:18 PM

You can also consider the laptop replacement items like a mini-pc, raspberry Pi, ASIAir, etc.

These are small devices that can easily be powered from a a DC source like a battery and are basically mini computers without a screen.

You connect them to your mount and camera with cables. Then connect to their Wifi from your phone or iPad ( or main PC indoors if in your back yard) and control them that way.

It’s more steps but it’s basically the best way to “control it with your iPad”.
  • 1E1HFPPE, mariemarie and Oort Cloud like this

#6 unimatrix0

unimatrix0

Apollo

• -----

Posted 27 November 2021 - 03:21 PM

I have this week used APT for the first time to platesolve and it is a revelation! No more wasted time and trouble trying to find and center an object and all the frustration. I am blown away by this!

One question though, I am using my laptop to do it but wonder if there is any way to try an ipad to platesolve. That would be amazing... 

As far as installing a plate solver to an iPad, that's a no.  There are no plate solver iPad apps that I know of. 

But you can download anydesk and remote desktop into whatever PC you're using to image. 

• OldManSky likes this

#7 Northrim

Northrim

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: New Jersey

Posted 27 November 2021 - 08:21 PM

Be advised that some remote desktop apps require the internet and may not work at a remote site if there is no wifi.  You can set up a lan using a 12 volt router connected to your PC and remote desktop will work on that, but some others may not.  Team viewer, for instance, will work except that it will not stream sound over lan.

#8 DivisionByZero

DivisionByZero

Viking 1

• Loc: New Mexico

Posted 28 November 2021 - 12:27 AM

The typical route is to have the plate solver running on the rig's computer, not on the remote machine.  That said, both are possible, though I think it's been pointed out that finding an iPad bit of software to plate solve might be challenging.  I am running Astroberry pi on my rig and have the plate solving running local.  No need for an internet connection any longer!  I did have to download the appropriate index file sets for my setup, but that was not really a problem at all.

#9 Karlp295

Karlp295

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 November 2021 - 02:45 AM

What I was really aiming at was to replace my laptop as it is a bit inconvenient using the laptop I normally use inside and thought that in a remote location I should have an alternative such as a mini pc. Any recommendations for a suitably able yet cheap model of mini pc?

Also, I tried NINA before but couldn't get it to work. APT and platesolve2 and I'm off to the races!

Edited by Karlp295, 28 November 2021 - 02:48 AM.

• Forward Scatter likes this

#10 Karlp295

Karlp295

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 November 2021 - 02:47 AM

Sounds like what you’re after is the ability to remote access the laptop.

I use chrome Remote Desktop. It’s pretty simple to set up and there’s an iOS app that allows you to do it from a phone or iPad. Then it’ll feel like you’re doing everything from your iPad on your couch.

There’s countless other remote options as well.

While you’re at it, have you used GoTo++ in APT? Then it finds and platesolves your target on its own. It requires the paid version though.

I am using GoTo++ in the FREE version of APT. It's fantastic! I find and center tagets in minutes rather than an hour or more as I used to do. More time imaging!

#11 F.Meiresonne

F.Meiresonne

Cosmos

• Loc: Eeklo,Belgium

Posted 28 November 2021 - 07:44 AM

What platesolving program for APT are you using?

No aligning needed at all?

I am building a machine for pulseguiding and want to use platesolving, to test out

#12 Karlp295

Karlp295

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 November 2021 - 01:07 PM

I'm using Platesolve2 and no aligning whatsoever is needed. 

Very quick and easy.

#13 F.Meiresonne

F.Meiresonne

Cosmos

Posted 28 November 2021 - 01:32 PM

Indeed, thatone  i am investigating too, only i just found that one does not need it , it can be all done within pointcraft...itself so it seems. Which  is  in APT self...

Bit confusing....

#14 F.Meiresonne

F.Meiresonne

Cosmos

Posted 28 November 2021 - 02:22 PM

Oeps, you do need the external programs....missed this 

#15 kemosabe'

kemosabe'

Lift Off

Posted 28 November 2021 - 07:32 PM

ASAP (All Sky Plate Solver) does not require an internet connection.  It works locally on your computer from its' installed database.  I normal use ASTAP, it also does not require an internet connection.  It works locally from its' installed libraries.  I also have PlateSolve2 and it does not require an internet connection, same as previously mentioned.  I'm running on APT v3.90.  However, I'm not an expert on the topic of plate solving.  So please correct me if I am wrong.

Edited by kemosabe', 28 November 2021 - 07:34 PM.

#16 Forward Scatter

Forward Scatter

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Wandering the PNW

Posted 28 November 2021 - 08:48 PM

What I was really aiming at was to replace my laptop as it is a bit inconvenient using the laptop I normally use inside and thought that in a remote location I should have an alternative such as a mini pc. Any recommendations for a suitably able yet cheap model of mini pc?

Also, I tried NINA before but couldn't get it to work. APT and platesolve2 and I'm off to the races!

When reading through the software/EAA/imaging forae, there seems to be a lot of emphasis on the newest faster and fastest mini PCs and NUCs! If all one wants to run is APT, PHD2 and maybe a planetarium, one really doesn't need a rocket fast processor for acquisition and guiding, which really don't take much computing power. More critical is being able to run off 12V DC so a power brick or battery can be used. 

I use a MinisForum GK41 (~$250) with 8gb of ram and ~2 GHz with a lowly Celeron. Works very well. 

#17 dclt

dclt

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 29 November 2021 - 01:52 AM

Platesolving is easiest handled by the scopeside PC through the acquisition software. So all one would need would be a remote desktop client, as Skywalker mentioned, to control the whole thing with a tablet.

I haven't worked much with APT so I cannot address its capabilities, but I do highly recommend trying out NINA (free) for its advanced sequencer, its three-point polar alignment (no need for direct view of the NCP!), and its framing assistant. It can be set up to image all night long with no human input. Then an automated meridian flip and recentering would be even more of an epiphany!

Everything you describe can be done in astrophotography tool, including the automated meridian flip & recentering. APT can do most anything required in an imaging sequence. And the paid version is not expensive & 100% worth it. Great software all around.
  • Forward Scatter likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Imaging

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics