•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Differences of Bi color pallets (Ha, OIII)

Astrophotography
  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ArandomPilot

ArandomPilot

Vostok 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Winter Park, Colorado

Posted 27 November 2021 - 01:31 PM

When people typically do a bi-color narrowband pallet, it's using Hydrogen Alpha and Oxygen III. Using these two images only, I was able to create some interesting images besides HOO. To show the differences in each Bi color pallet, let's look at the Veil Nebula I shot over the summer. 

This is the original typical "true color" image in HOO.

Veil Nebula HOO

The Bi-color image is the true color pallet as OIII has a greenish blueish hue, hence why OIII is used for the green and blue channel. 

I can inverse the channels with the OHH pallet. In this instance, Ha becomes blue while OIII becomes red. 

Veil Nebula OHH

To get a more SHO looking pallet through a Bi color pallet, set Ha to red and green while OIII is set to blue (HHO)

Veil Nebula HHO

The Inverse of this is OOH, having a more electric blue for parts of the nebula. 

OOH FInal

For colors that make you think you're on some good drugs, or you just really like purple, use the HOH pallet. 
Veil Nebula HOH

Like always, the Inverse is OHO, giving much more green than purple. 

Veil Nebula OHO

Processing this data was an enjoyment and I loved seeing the different color combinations that I could come up with that still gave me a useable image (I tried an HHH pallet and got a grey image, so don't do that). For those wishing to experiment with the color pallets, I highly suggest it, as you can create new images that are rarely made or processed for the reasons of their uniqueness factor or personal tastes. 

Edited by ArandomPilot, 27 November 2021 - 01:32 PM.

• lambermo, pixlimit, SilverLitz and 1 other like this

#2 qswat72

qswat72

Messenger

Posted 27 November 2021 - 08:15 PM

Really interesting comparison! I’ll have to try some of these out sometime.

#3 addos

addos

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 29 November 2021 - 03:08 AM

very cool, thanks for sharing!

adding to this, for some of you that have seen some of my 'dynamic' rgb shots, heres the link to what I think is the original author, and the pix formula.  you combine your Ha and Oiii to make a new green channel.  basically, just turns alot of the white areas yellow and gives you slightly deeper reds - gives you a bit more contrast over those areas.

source:  https://thecoldestni...with-pixelmath/

Pix form:  ((Oiii*Ha)^~(Oiii*Ha))*Ha + ~((Oiii*Ha)^~(Oiii*Ha))*Oiii

Edited by addos, 29 November 2021 - 03:15 AM.

• ArandomPilot likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Astrophotography

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics