•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Tele Vue 85 Eyepiece Collection

Eyepieces Refractor Visual Equipment
  • Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#26 Starman1

Starman1

Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 28 November 2021 - 01:20 PM

You have gotten some good advice.

The set you have chosen is NOT usable with glasses on, so I suppose you will view without glasses.

That is only a bad thing if you need to wear glasses at the eyepiece.  Otherwise, no problem.

The 31mm Nagler is not really usable for daytime use due to its chromatic aberration of the exit pupil.

You don't have to know what that is, but I agree that a 32mm Plössl or a 35mm Panoptic might be a better daytime choice (perhaps in addition to the 31mm Nagler)

if you choose to use the scope for astronomy and terrestrial observing.

And yes, add an 8mm eyepiece to hit the magnification in between the 11 Apollo (you found one?!!) and the 3-6 zoom.

A 4° low power field is superb.  Many large objects and asterisms become great:

Pleiades

Kemble's Cascade

The Coathanger

Praesepe Cluster

The false comet in Scorpius

etc.

• Scott Beith, Jon Isaacs and Thomas_M44 like this

#27 25585

James Webb Space Telescope

• Loc: In a valley, in the SW UK. 51°N

Posted 28 November 2021 - 01:27 PM

I use Pentax 5.2, 7 XLs, then 10, 20, 14 (XL), 30 & 40 XWs with my TV 85. 

#28 Wow!6EQUJ5

Wow!6EQUJ5

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Canada

Posted 28 November 2021 - 02:41 PM

You have gotten some good advice.

The set you have chosen is NOT usable with glasses on, so I suppose you will view without glasses.

That is only a bad thing if you need to wear glasses at the eyepiece.  Otherwise, no problem.

The 31mm Nagler is not really usable for daytime use due to its chromatic aberration of the exit pupil.

You don't have to know what that is, but I agree that a 32mm Plössl or a 35mm Panoptic might be a better daytime choice (perhaps in addition to the 31mm Nagler)

if you choose to use the scope for astronomy and terrestrial observing.

And yes, add an 8mm eyepiece to hit the magnification in between the 11 Apollo (you found one?!!) and the 3-6 zoom.

A 4° low power field is superb.  Many large objects and asterisms become great:

Pleiades

Kemble's Cascade

The Coathanger

Praesepe Cluster

The false comet in Scorpius

etc.

Excellent.  Thank you.  I generally stick with binos during the day, and I'm fortunate to not wear glasses.  I see that you caught the inclusion of the 11mm -- I lucked out some time ago.  

• Jon Isaacs likes this

#29 Thomas_M44

Thomas_M44

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Modesto, CA USA

Posted 28 November 2021 - 08:56 PM

I’m curious. What series is your 16mm Nagler?

#30 Wow!6EQUJ5

Wow!6EQUJ5

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 November 2021 - 11:46 PM

I’m curious. What series is your 16mm Nagler?

Type 5.

#31 Thomas_M44

Thomas_M44

Apollo

• -----

Posted 29 November 2021 - 02:46 PM

Type 5.

Very good.

With the compact 16mm type 5 Nagler, I’d think using it with a 2X Barlow to achieve an 8mm FL shouldn’t make for a too cumbersome configuration. If your diagonal can handle the full insertion length of the Barlow, of course.

• Jon Isaacs and Wow!6EQUJ5 like this

#32 f74265a

f74265a

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 29 November 2021 - 09:51 PM

That’s a very good set and should cover everything. I use a tv 85 primarily with tv eyepieces and, despite owning at least 3 dozen of them, my only overlap with your set is the fantastic A11. At 30mm, I chose the Pentax 30xw over the 31 nagler for weight considerations. And I skipped the zoom and the 16 nagler over eye relief preference despite not using glasses. My preferred set for the tv 85 is 30xw and then the following parfocal TVs: 24 pan, 18.2 delite, 13 nagler, 10 Delos, 6, 4.7 and 3.7 ethos. Without a tracking mount I like the ethos at higher power.
  • Thomas_M44 and Wow!6EQUJ5 like this

#33 Thomas_M44

Thomas_M44

Apollo

• -----

Posted 30 November 2021 - 12:42 AM

Sounds like a very carefully considered set of eyepieces choices.

Yes, that is a good point: the wider AFOV eyepieces do make target acquisition and viewing easier at high magnifications with non-driven scopes.

I have the relatively compact 16mm Masuyama 85-degree, which I can use with Powermates or Barlows to get high magnifications.

• Wow!6EQUJ5 likes this

#34 alnitak22

alnitak22

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 30 November 2021 - 11:08 AM

Frankeinstein....I missed that your 11mm eyepiece was the Apollo! I think you’ll be in love with the views! Quick story about last night and an eyepiece you may not need, but is magic in the TV85 and that’s the 22 T4 Nagler. It was cloudy all day and we even had some quick snow showers here. I wasn’t thinking about any observing but when I walked the dog around 7, it was totally clear, though windy. After the passing front I knew the sky wouldn’t be very steady and a quick glance at Capella showed that indeed it was twinkling madly. Still...the sky beckoned! At first I just was going to grab my 8x56 Ultimas and head up but decided to take the TV85 instead. I only took two eyepieces...the 22T4 and 13T6. It was about 8pm when I got to the roof and it was a beautifully transparent night. The first thing you I looked at was M45 in the Nagler. Just mesmerizing. Panning down towards Aldebaran showed probably 2 dozen pinpoint stars even in my sky, and Aldebaran itself was a vivid orange. I was planning on maybe 30 minutes but spent well over an hour wandering around with just those 2 eyepieces comparing the very different feel in them on the Double Cluster, the open clusters in Cassiopeia and the Auriga Clusters.  The wind chill was lower than I thought....28!...and by 9 when Orion was up high enough to observe, I was pretty cold...something I would have ignored 20 years ago. But I was 45 twenty years ago..argh! But I couldn’t resist some quick peeks in Orion. The Nagler at 27x will of course not show more than 4 stars in the Trap, but they were quite sharp and the nebula itself was beautiful. Also a great view in the 13 T6, but the 22 Nagler has such an immersive feeling to it. It’s really special. The 13 T6 showed 4 stars in Sigma Orionis at only 46x though I couldn’t split Rigel in it, but have in the past. Anyway, your sky is considerably better than mine and while you’re certainly set for eyepieces, the 22T4 would be one to consider sometime. It’s a nice step between your 31 and 16 Naglers and it’s immersive quality needs to be experienced as it’s not possible to adequately describe it in words. I’ll never part with mine.

Edited by alnitak22, 30 November 2021 - 05:48 PM.

• Starman1, Swamp Fox, NC Startrekker and 3 others like this

#35 Swamp Fox

Swamp Fox

Messenger

• Loc: Southern Kentucky

Posted 30 November 2021 - 05:07 PM

Frankeinstein....I missed that your 11mm eyepiece was the Apollo! I think you’ll be in love with the views! Quick story about last night and an eyepiece you may not need, but is magic in the TV85 and that’s the 22 T4 Nagler. It was cloudy all day and we even had some quick snow showers here. I wasn’t thinking about any observing but when I walked the dog around 7, it was totally clear, though windy. After the passing front I knew the sky wouldn’t be very steady and a quick glance at Capella showed that indeed it was twinkling madly. Still...the sky beckoned! At first I just was going to grab my 8x56 Ultimas and head up but decided to take the TV85 instead. I only took two eyepieces...the 22T4 and 13T6. It was about 8pm when I got to the roof and it was a beautifully transparent night. The first think I looked at was M45 in the Nagler. Just mesmerizing. Panning down towards Aldebaran showed probably 2 dozen pinpoint stars even in my sky, and Aldebaran itself was a vivid orange. I was planning on maybe 30 minutes but spent well over an hour wandering around with just those 2 eyepieces comparing the very different feel in them on the Double Cluster, the open clusters in Cassiopeia and the Auriga Clusters.  The wind chill was lower than I thought....28!...and by 9 when Orion was up high enough to observe, I was pretty cold...something I would have ignored 20 years ago. But I was 45 twenty years ago..argh! But I couldn’t resist some quick peeks in Orion. The Nagler at 27x will of course not show more than 4 stars in the Trap, but they were quite sharp and the nebula itself was beautiful. Also a great view in the 13 T6, but the 22 Nagler has such an immersive feeling to it. It’s really special. The 13 T6 showed 4 stars in Sigma Orionis at only 43x, though I couldn’t split Rigel in it, but have in the past. Anyway, your sky is considerably better than mine and while you’re certainly set for eyepieces, the 22T4 would be one to consider sometime. It’s a nice step between your 31 and 16 Naglers and it’s immersive quality needs to be experienced as it’s not possible to adequately describe it in words. I’ll never part with mine.

The 22 T4 is my most used eyepiece in my scopes.

• alnitak22, 25585 and Wow!6EQUJ5 like this

#36 Wow!6EQUJ5

Wow!6EQUJ5

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 30 November 2021 - 05:25 PM

Frankeinstein....I missed that your 11mm eyepiece was the Apollo! I think you’ll be in love with the views! Quick story about last night and an eyepiece you may not need, but is magic in the TV85 and that’s the 22 T4 Nagler. It was cloudy all day and we even had some quick snow showers here. I wasn’t thinking about any observing but when I walked the dog around 7, it was totally clear, though windy. After the passing front I knew the sky wouldn’t be very steady and a quick glance at Capella showed that indeed it was twinkling madly. Still...the sky beckoned! At first I just was going to grab my 8x56 Ultimas and head up but decided to take the TV85 instead. I only took two eyepieces...the 22T4 and 13T6. It was about 8pm when I got to the roof and it was a beautifully transparent night. The first think I looked at was M45 in the Nagler. Just mesmerizing. Panning down towards Aldebaran showed probably 2 dozen pinpoint stars even in my sky, and Aldebaran itself was a vivid orange. I was planning on maybe 30 minutes but spent well over an hour wandering around with just those 2 eyepieces comparing the very different feel in them on the Double Cluster, the open clusters in Cassiopeia and the Auriga Clusters.  The wind chill was lower than I thought....28!...and by 9 when Orion was up high enough to observe, I was pretty cold...something I would have ignored 20 years ago. But I was 45 twenty years ago..argh! But I couldn’t resist some quick peeks in Orion. The Nagler at 27x will of course not show more than 4 stars in the Trap, but they were quite sharp and the nebula itself was beautiful. Also a great view in the 13 T6, but the 22 Nagler has such an immersive feeling to it. It’s really special. The 13 T6 showed 4 stars in Sigma Orionis at only 43x, though I couldn’t split Rigel in it, but have in the past. Anyway, your sky is considerably better than mine and while you’re certainly set for eyepieces, the 22T4 would be one to consider sometime. It’s a nice step between your 31 and 16 Naglers and it’s immersive quality needs to be experienced as it’s not possible to adequately describe it in words. I’ll never part with mine.

Sounds like a terrific evening!  I'm very much looking forward to a few of those nights in the near future.  Two nights ago, I was about to head to bed when I caught a glimpse of Castor and Pollux out the backyard window.  The skies have been cloudy for two weeks so I wasn't going to pass up a chance, no matter how small.  I have a pair of 10x42 binos and spent twenty minutes enjoying the Beehive Cluster before calling it a night.  I can only imagine what it will look like through the Tele Vue. Thank you for your input, I'll put the 22T4 on the wishlist!

• alnitak22 and 25585 like this

#37 alnitak22

alnitak22

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 30 November 2021 - 05:49 PM

The 22 T4 is my most used eyepiece in my scopes.

I can imagine it’s quite something in the NP127 especially!

• Swamp Fox and 25585 like this

#38 25585

Posted 01 December 2021 - 06:53 AM

I use my 22T4 with Dobs & a Paracorr, flatter better field than on its own, almost as good as my Orion 20mm LHD. But in my TV85, which has no Paracorr, being a refractor, there is field curvature in evidence.

#39 alnitak22

alnitak22

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 01 December 2021 - 10:31 AM

I use my 22T4 with Dobs & a Paracorr, flatter better field than on its own, almost as good as my Orion 20mm LHD. But in my TV85, which has no Paracorr, being a refractor, there is field curvature in evidence.

Yes, any f/7 refractor has field curvature that is inherent in the design. You know that, right? And the Paracorr addresses the flaw in Newtonian mirrors, not the eyepiece. 

#40 alnitak22

alnitak22

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 01 December 2021 - 11:03 AM

And I should add....the Paracorr not only addresses coma in star images, but it also flattens the Newtonian’s field. So...present a flat field to a flat field eyepiece and you’ll see a flat field. However, present a curved field to a flat field eyepiece, and you’ll have stars out of focus at the edge. This is why one should drop an eyepiece in a scope like the NP101, which has a perfectly flat field, to best make judgements about eyepiece aberrations.

#41 25585

Posted 01 December 2021 - 12:22 PM

Perhaps the Paracorr corrects the eyepiece optically as it has a mild Barlow effect.   

#42 Thomas_M44

Thomas_M44

Apollo

• -----

Posted 01 December 2021 - 01:44 PM

Any doublet refractor will have field curvature, inversely proportional to focal length, not f-ratio directly.

The 600mm FL TV85 has a fair amount of field curvature, indeed just enough to be a bit unpleasant to my 53 year old eyes, but not terrible.

The field curvature of the 459mm FL rich-field 102mm achromat I owned at one time —that I found terrible, insufferable.

As far as Newtonians, I’ve evolved my thinking about Paracorrs somewhat. I’ve long considered Paracorr as not really necessary in scopes of f/6 or slower. The aberration reduction in the off-axis  afforded by a Paracorr is considerable, however, even in scopes as slow as f/10. This seems very meaningful, particularly for planetary viewing in undriven scopes.

Edited by Thomas_M44, 01 December 2021 - 01:45 PM.

• alnitak22 and 25585 like this

#43 mitu0715

mitu0715

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Tokyo,Japan

Posted 08 December 2021 - 04:11 AM

Excellent eyepiece choice!
This is my eyepiece collection.

Ub3pzfo.jpg

Edited by mitu0715, 08 December 2021 - 04:17 AM.

• mtminnesota, Thomas_M44 and Wow!6EQUJ5 like this

#44 Thomas_M44

Thomas_M44

Apollo

• -----

Posted 08 December 2021 - 04:15 AM

UQDSZga.jpg

Lovely sketch of Copernicus  waytogo.gif

Also: the Matsumoto-EMS diagonal looks quite good with your TV85.

Thank you for sharing 

Edited by Thomas_M44, 08 December 2021 - 04:25 AM.

• mitu0715 likes this

#45 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 08 December 2021 - 04:54 AM

I've wanted to have a proper telescope all my life.  I'm finally in a place where I can make it a reality.  

I ordered a Tele Vue 85.  It arrives in four weeks.

I also have a small collection of eyepieces.  I'd like some constructive criticism, as this will be my first small refractor.  How's my setup?  Suggestions are more than welcome!

Current eyepiece collection dog-eared for the TV 85 (magnification calculated for 600mm FL):

• TV Nagler   31mm (82 degree AFOV, 19.5x mag)
  • TV Nagler   16mm (82 degree AFOV, 37.5x mag)
  • TV               11mm (85 degree AFOV, 54.0x mag)
  • TV                6-3mm Zoom (50 degree AFOV, 100 to 200x mag)

I also compliment the above with a quality pair of 10x42 binoculars.

I look forward to hearing your thoughts.

It looks good to me.  At some point I would want the 9mm Nagler.. and probably want some wider field eyepieces in the shorter focal lengths.  But you've gotten a solid basis.  

Jon

• Wow!6EQUJ5 likes this

#46 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

Posted 08 December 2021 - 04:59 AM

Very good.

With the compact 16mm type 5 Nagler, I’d think using it with a 2X Barlow to achieve an 8mm FL shouldn’t make for a too cumbersome configuration. If your diagonal can handle the full insertion length of the Barlow, of course.

I like this.  I have the full set of type 6 Naglers except the 2.5mm as well as the 16mm Type 5.  When I want something to fit between the 9mm and and the 7mm, I will Barlow the 16mm. 

The TeleVue 2X Barlow is a good one and should be OK. It works fine with an Everbrite diagonal.

Jon

• Thomas_M44 and Wow!6EQUJ5 like this

#47 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

Posted 08 December 2021 - 05:06 AM

Any doublet refractor will have field curvature, inversely proportional to focal length, not f-ratio directly.

The way I see it:

The actual curvature of the field, the radius of curvature, is about 1/3 the focal of the scope.. This is independent of the focal ratio.  

However, the diameter of the defocused blur that results from the field curvature also depends on the focal ratio.  If the curvature at the edge of the field is 1mm, then in an F/10 scope, the blur will be 1mm/10 = 0.1mm in diameter.  In an F/5 scope, the blur would be 1mm / 5 = 0.2mm in diameter.  The divergence is inversely proportional to the focal ratio.

And it's worth noting that field curvature is a second power relationship. In the TV-85 with it's 600mm focal length,  the curvature with the 31mm Nagler is about 1.1 mm, with the 16mm T5, it's only about 0.30mm.

Jon

• Thomas_M44 likes this

#48 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

Posted 08 December 2021 - 05:10 AM

Wow! I love music but have no talent for it. I cannot sing a note.

Clyde (Alnitak 22) is just kidding, making up stories.. he actually has a tin ear.. 

Or maybe it's me that is making up stories.. 

Clyde sang in the chorus for the New York Metropolitan Opera until he retired recently.. 

Jon

#49 t.r.

t.r.

Fly Me to the Moon

• ****-
  • Loc: 1123,6536,5321

Posted 08 December 2021 - 12:58 PM

Ub3pzfo.jpg

I’m curious…Why the Matsumoto Binoback instead of an Everbright diagonal? Correct image for sketching?
  • mitu0715 likes this

#50 jimandlaura26

jimandlaura26

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 08 December 2021 - 03:31 PM

Looks to be a good selection of high quality EPs. A few thoughts to consider. Rather than AFOV, it is the True Field of View ( TFOV) that provides the physical spatial backdrop/context for the objects you are viewing. Recommend that you consider numerous software eyepiece simulators out there to closely simulate those objects you intend to view the most. I use SkySafari for this purpose. It may be that for some of these objects the image is too small or you can’t see the whole object. That might encourage you to purchase an additional eyepiece. Additionally, while these eyepieces are outstanding performers, I have found that modest 1.25” Orthoscopics provide uniquely special views in their own right - pure star colors, separating doubles, and subtle planetary detail. Good and affordable complement to your stated premium eyepieces. Despite Ortho limits, such as eye relief and FOV, they are great assets. Additionally, I keep a set of Orthos mounted on a light weight Baader turret for quick switching of EPS to simplify observing during work week and short observing periods.

Good luck!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Eyepieces, Refractor, Visual, Equipment

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics