•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Tele Vue 85 Eyepiece Collection

Eyepieces Refractor Visual Equipment
  • Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#51 Wow!6EQUJ5

Wow!6EQUJ5

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Canada

Posted 08 December 2021 - 07:32 PM

Looks to be a good selection of high quality EPs. A few thoughts to consider. Rather than AFOV, it is the True Field of View ( TFOV) that provides the physical spatial backdrop/context for the objects you are viewing. Recommend that you consider numerous software eyepiece simulators out there to closely simulate those objects you intend to view the most. I use SkySafari for this purpose. It may be that for some of these objects the image is too small or you can’t see the whole object. That might encourage you to purchase an additional eyepiece. Additionally, while these eyepieces are outstanding performers, I have found that modest 1.25” Orthoscopics provide uniquely special views in their own right - pure star colors, separating doubles, and subtle planetary detail. Good and affordable complement to your stated premium eyepieces. Despite Ortho limits, such as eye relief and FOV, they are great assets. Additionally, I keep a set of Orthos mounted on a light weight Baader turret for quick switching of EPS to simplify observing during work week and short observing periods.

Good luck!

Excellent.  As a matter of fact, I used Stellarium to simulate each EP on the list.  It's an excellent way to test drive before you buy.

#52 mitu0715

mitu0715

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Tokyo,Japan

Posted 09 December 2021 - 07:57 AM

I’m curious…Why the Matsumoto Binoback instead of an Everbright diagonal? Correct image for sketching?

Yes,  It's for sketching. It's a very good product!

• Thomas_M44 likes this

#53 Wow!6EQUJ5

Wow!6EQUJ5

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Canada

Posted 28 December 2021 - 02:51 PM

Change of plans.  

I had placed the order for the 16mm Nagler two months ago and just as luck would have it, the order was lost.  There was a clear mix up, but the proprietor was less than forthright so I decided to contact a different seller.  Although he had a 16mm Nagler, it turned out that he also had another option for me to consider.  We negotiated a good price (I had purchased a couple EPs from him in the past) and I am now the proud owner of a 17mm Ethos.  

I've used it a few times and I'm awestruck by it.  It also makes an excellent transition from the 31mm Nagler to the 11mm Apollo.  I feel that my little eyepiece collection is now complete.

#54 Starman1

Starman1

Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 28 December 2021 - 04:23 PM

Change of plans.  

I had placed the order for the 16mm Nagler two months ago and just as luck would have it, the order was lost.  There was a clear mix up, but the proprietor was less than forthright so I decided to contact a different seller.  Although he had a 16mm Nagler, it turned out that he also had another option for me to consider.  We negotiated a good price (I had purchased a couple EPs from him in the past) and I am now the proud owner of a 17mm Ethos.  

I've used it a few times and I'm awestruck by it.  It also makes an excellent transition from the 31mm Nagler to the 11mm Apollo.  I feel that my little eyepiece collection is now complete.

The 16mm Nagler is great, but the 17mm Ethos is awesome.

I used it a lot as a lower power eyepiece (it is 8.6x/inch in my scope), and it never disappointed.

I preferred its presentation to the 21mm.

I'd use it still were it compatible with glasses.  Sigh.

#55 25585

James Webb Space Telescope

• Loc: In a valley, in the SW UK. 51°N

Posted 29 December 2021 - 02:58 PM

I love using my 17mm ES92 with my TV 85.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Eyepieces, Refractor, Visual, Equipment

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics