•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

TV-76 and AT72EDII

Refractor
  • Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#1 GGK

GGK

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Southwest Florida

Posted 27 November 2021 - 01:44 PM

Has anyone ever compared the TV-76 to the AT72EDII?  I already know that there is a huge price difference.

Price excluded from the comparison, how does one refractor compare to the other in image quality, build quality and function?

I haven't been able to find any comments comparing the two.

Thanks.  Gary

• 25585 likes this

#2 Scott Beith

Scott Beith

SRF

• Loc: Frederick, MD

Posted 27 November 2021 - 02:03 PM

http://www.scopeview...uk/SWEq80ED.htm

Not the AT72 but this review might be helpful.

• Castor and GGK like this

#3 GGK

GGK

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 27 November 2021 - 10:19 PM

Thanks, Scott.  The author of that article speaks highly of the TV-76, which is no surprise.  I will be surprised if no one on CN has ever used both and compared the TV-76 directly to the AT72EDII.

Gary

• Scott Beith likes this

#4 GGK

GGK

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 28 November 2021 - 09:53 PM

Just bumping this up.

Isn't there anyone on Cloudy Nights who has looked through both the Tele-Vue TV-76 and the Astro-Tech AT72EDII enough to compare the performance of the two refractors?

Two 70+mm refractors that both get great revies on CN.  

#5 TareqPhoto

TareqPhoto

Cosmos

• -----
  • Loc: Ajman - UAE

Posted 30 November 2021 - 06:25 AM

The question is, what are you looking for between the two?

And another question, why only those two and not including more scopes such as 70mm triplet and another 70mm doublet and FRA400 [72] quintuplet and Sharpstar 76EDPH? Tele Vue is a great quality company and well known and respected for their products not just scopes, so adding their scopes to a cheaper affordable doublet and ignoring other options is kind of questionable. 

#6 gzljh96

gzljh96

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: United Kingdom

Posted 30 November 2021 - 04:39 PM

I wonder how does the TV-76 compares to a triplet in false colour actually.

#7 Spikey131

Spikey131

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 30 November 2021 - 07:24 PM

I wonder how does the TV-76 compares to a triplet in false colour actually.

Neither of the scopes in question is a triplet, so this is off topic.

But you can expect to see no color in focus with the TV76 for visual use.  I don't know about AP, since I am visual only.

I had an 80mm triplet made by a well respected and popular Chinese manufacturer (It was not in any way connected with Astrotech or Astronomics).  When I first got it, I was quite impressed with the optics, and the mechanical aspects of the scope were acceptable.  After about 18 months the view went bad a high magnifications.  Star tests were asymmetric and terrible.  I tried to collimate it (it has a collimatable cell) and could not.  I sent it back to the manufacturer who offers free lifetime collimation.  It came back a little better but the scope was still worthless for planets and close doubles.  After tolerating this a while, I sent it again to the manufacturer.  I explained that I thought the individual lenses in the triplet had moved and asked them to fix it.  I was willing to pay.  They were unable to make it any better.

So I bought a TV 76.  The star tests are perfect.  It is built like a tank.  It is compact enough to be easily airline transportable.  The focuser can handle anything I hang on it.  Most of all, I know that I can send it to New York any time and they will fix it like new.  And I can call them any time an speak to Al or Dave or Paul if I have a problem.

Spend your money however you like.  You will get what you pay for.

• Joe Bergeron, Jon Isaacs, Erik Bakker and 8 others like this

#8 Sacred Heart

Sacred Heart

Surveyor 1

Posted 30 November 2021 - 07:32 PM

I bought a TV 76 instead of the AT72ED. I had a AT72ED on order for about a month, Mike was nice enough to cancel for me, found the 76 in stock and got it.   I cannot speak of the build quality of the 72,  but the TV 76 does have excellent build quality.   2" R&P focuser,  does not rotate,   I rotate the diagonal.  I believe the Nagler's use Schott glass from Japan.  

Let me put it to you this way,  I compared the TV76 to my 7" Mak,  side by side mounted on my Paramount ME, ADM Dual saddle mount plate.  Using a 32MM Brandon in the Questar and  a 12MM Brandon in the TV76,  double stars were about equal,  sharpness, clarity, and color.   Brightness seemed to go to the TV76.  

I do not have a color camera, just B&W, ZWO 178 mono,  do live stack with it.  I am impressed with the galaxies I have seen.

I am not sorry I spent the extra money on this TV 76,  I feel it is worth it.        Joe

• Castor and GGK like this

#9 GGK

GGK

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 01 December 2021 - 11:23 AM

My use is visual only with sessions lasting as little as 15 minutes, so I'm looking at doublet refractors that will give better image quality than my ST-80, compliment my AT60ED better than the ST-80 (doesn't need to provide the 6.6 degree field, so f/5 at 80mm isn't needed), is light enough and portable enough to move in and out on a Tele-Pod mount head and suitable tri-pod.

I started by reading comparisons between the TV-85 and TV-76 for no reason other than I looked through a TV-85 once and it looked good.

I'm pretty new to refractors and when I asked the CN audience about small grab and go scopes, the AT72EDII received good comments.  It's not fair to compare the AT72EDII to the TV-85, but it should compare to the TV-76, so I asked for that comparison, thinking it might apply to the 80 to 85mm class as well.  The ST-80 and AT60ED OTAs have shown me the benefit of having a small grab and go refractor to maximize viewing opportunities in southwest Florida, especially during our wet season, so now I'm considering what to do to optimize.

I have the AT60ED for really wide views and I have a C9.25 SCT to cover high power and small faint DSOs when extended viewing time allows. I'm just considering what is best for short session back-yard grab and go's that fit in between the 60mm and the C9.25. An 80mm to 85mm doublet of modest focal length to give a 4.5 degree field +/- field of view might be best, but I just don't know. Targets will be mid to larger DSOs, but I also turn to thesolar system when positioning is good.

I'm open to any brand as long as it hits the key points and has a good reputation for quality and reliability.  One thing I do want is a dual speed focuser.  My ST-80 has a single speed 2" GSO, which works well, but I'm better with the dual speed on the AT60ED.

Gary

The question is, what are you looking for between the two?

And another question, why only those two and not including more scopes such as 70mm triplet and another 70mm doublet and FRA400 [72] quintuplet and Sharpstar 76EDPH? Tele Vue is a great quality company and well known and respected for their products not just scopes, so adding their scopes to a cheaper affordable doublet and ignoring other options is kind of questionable. 

#10 GGK

GGK

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 01 December 2021 - 11:33 AM

Thanks for the replies, many great comments on CN about the TV-76.  If I go the TV route, I will need to decide between the TV-76 and TV-85.  I use an AT60ED for widest view and airline travel, lessening the needs of a new refractor.

I know that the TV-76 has a wider field of view and is shorter and lighter than the TV-85.  Have you identified any other benefits?

Gary

I bought a TV 76 instead of the AT72ED. I had a AT72ED on order for about a month, Mike was nice enough to cancel for me, found the 76 in stock and got it.   I cannot speak of the build quality of the 72,  but the TV 76 does have excellent build quality.   2" R&P focuser,  does not rotate,   I rotate the diagonal.  I believe the Nagler's use Schott glass from Japan.  

Let me put it to you this way,  I compared the TV76 to my 7" Mak,  side by side mounted on my Paramount ME, ADM Dual saddle mount plate.  Using a 32MM Brandon in the Questar and  a 12MM Brandon in the TV76,  double stars were about equal,  sharpness, clarity, and color.   Brightness seemed to go to the TV76.  

I do not have a color camera, just B&W, ZWO 178 mono,  do live stack with it.  I am impressed with the galaxies I have seen.

I am not sorry I spent the extra money on this TV 76,  I feel it is worth it.        Joe

But you can expect to see no color in focus with the TV76 for visual use.  I don't know about AP, since I am visual only.

I had an 80mm triplet made by a well respected and popular Chinese manufacturer (It was not in any way connected with Astrotech or Astronomics).  When I first got it, I was quite impressed with the optics, and the mechanical aspects of the scope were acceptable.  After about 18 months the view went bad a high magnifications.  Star tests were asymmetric and terrible.  I tried to collimate it (it has a collimatable cell) and could not.  I sent it back to the manufacturer who offers free lifetime collimation.  It came back a little better but the scope was still worthless for planets and close doubles.  After tolerating this a while, I sent it again to the manufacturer.  I explained that I thought the individual lenses in the triplet had moved and asked them to fix it.  I was willing to pay.  They were unable to make it any better.

So I bought a TV 76.  The star tests are perfect.  It is built like a tank.  It is compact enough to be easily airline transportable.  The focuser can handle anything I hang on it.  Most of all, I know that I can send it to New York any time and they will fix it like new.  And I can call them any time an speak to Al or Dave or Paul if I have a problem.

Spend your money however you like.  You will get what you pay for.

#11 Sacred Heart

Sacred Heart

Surveyor 1

Posted 01 December 2021 - 12:18 PM

I never really looked past the 76, like I said I was looking at the AT 72 ED from astro tech.    My advice, the TV76 is 480MM the TV85 is 600MM.    For differences and such I would call the Nagler's at Televue.   They will bring things to light you and I  never thought of,  they are very pleasant to talk to.       My original intent was to use the 76 for guiding,  but after looking through it and imaging with it,  I can guide or image,  a win win.    Talk with someone at Televue.   If you have a 360MM scope, I'm thinking the 600MM,  the 480MM may be too close.    Use the FOV calculator from astronomy tools.   Joe

https://astronomy.to.../field_of_view/

• Erik Bakker and GGK like this

#12 gzljh96

gzljh96

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 01 December 2021 - 03:31 PM

But you can expect to see no color in focus with the TV76 for visual use. I don't know about AP, since I am visual only.

I had an 80mm triplet made by a well respected and popular Chinese manufacturer (It was not in any way connected with Astrotech or Astronomics). When I first got it, I was quite impressed with the optics, and the mechanical aspects of the scope were acceptable. After about 18 months the view went bad a high magnifications. Star tests were asymmetric and terrible. I tried to collimate it (it has a collimatable cell) and could not. I sent it back to the manufacturer who offers free lifetime collimation. It came back a little better but the scope was still worthless for planets and close doubles. After tolerating this a while, I sent it again to the manufacturer. I explained that I thought the individual lenses in the triplet had moved and asked them to fix it. I was willing to pay. They were unable to make it any better.

So I bought a TV 76. The star tests are perfect. It is built like a tank. It is compact enough to be easily airline transportable. The focuser can handle anything I hang on it. Most of all, I know that I can send it to New York any time and they will fix it like new. And I can call them any time an speak to Al or Dave or Paul if I have a problem.

Spend your money however you like. You will get what you pay for.

Tele Vue scopes having excellent mechanics and tight tolerances always seems to be a theme. I have a NP-101 which is 15 years old and it seems to still be perfectly collimated, but my then-new WO RedCat developed a collimation problem that I couldn’t fix.

Truth to be told, I am looking for a 70-80mm scope and technically both the TV85 and the TV76 falls within the budget. But I am an Astrophotographer and despite looking at some other optics, I might go for the Chinese-made Askar FRA400 in the end.

It’s worth noting that I think the Chinese scopes have improved dramatically over the last decade. When I started the hobby, cheap Chinese ED scopes were that — cheap. Now, they not only compete with Japanese and American optics in price, but also in optical and mechanical quality… provided you paid enough.
  • GGK likes this

#13 GGK

GGK

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 01 December 2021 - 05:06 PM

I've been very pleased with my AT60ED and have no issue buying that quality under any brand.  It exceeds what I thought it would do and is mechanically solid.

Since I need quick temperature acclimation,  I want to stay with a doublet, but also want a wider field which limits me to probably 600mm focal length or under.  The largest aperture APO doublet that I've found at or under 600mm focal length is the TV-85.  The 90+mm 600mm focal length or under OTAs I've seen are either triplets or don't use ED glass.  The TVs are a lot of money, though.  I have more choices in the 72 to 80mm range, but the price spread is bigger than expected, which is why I made my original post - trying to learn the actual benefits of the higher priced TV over a lower priced AT of similar size and both with good reputations.

Tele Vue scopes having excellent mechanics and tight tolerances always seems to be a theme. I have a NP-101 which is 15 years old and it seems to still be perfectly collimated, but my then-new WO RedCat developed a collimation problem that I couldn’t fix.

Truth to be told, I am looking for a 70-80mm scope and technically both the TV85 and the TV76 falls within the budget. But I am an Astrophotographer and despite looking at some other optics, I might go for the Chinese-made Askar FRA400 in the end.

It’s worth noting that I think the Chinese scopes have improved dramatically over the last decade. When I started the hobby, cheap Chinese ED scopes were that — cheap. Now, they not only compete with Japanese and American optics in price, but also in optical and mechanical quality… provided you paid enough.

#14 GGK

GGK

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 01 December 2021 - 10:15 PM

I never really looked past the 76, like I said I was looking at the AT 72 ED from astro tech.    My advice, the TV76 is 480MM the TV85 is 600MM.    For differences and such I would call the Nagler's at Televue.   They will bring things to light you and I  never thought of,  they are very pleasant to talk to.       My original intent was to use the 76 for guiding,  but after looking through it and imaging with it,  I can guide or image,  a win win.    Talk with someone at Televue.   If you have a 360MM scope, I'm thinking the 600MM,  the 480MM may be too close.    Use the FOV calculator from astronomy tools.   Joe

https://astronomy.to.../field_of_view/

I talked with the Tele-Vue people today and they recommended going with the TV-85 over the TV-76.  Not surprising really based on my situation.  I'm not sure what, if any, other 85mm or 600mm focal length APO doublets are out there to compare to the TV-85.

• Erik Bakker, alnitak22 and 25585 like this

#15 MortonH

MortonH

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Sydney, Australia

Posted 02 December 2021 - 12:25 AM

I talked with the Tele-Vue people today and they recommended going with the TV-85 over the TV-76.  Not surprising really based on my situation.  I'm not sure what, if any, other 85mm or 600mm focal length APO doublets are out there to compare to the TV-85.

The most obvious other 600mm doublet is the Skywatcher Evostar 80ED. Completely different build quality to the TV-85 but optically it's well regarded.

• GGK likes this

#16 alnitak22

alnitak22

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 02 December 2021 - 12:44 PM

I was going to suggest you call them. I’ve used 2 samples of the TV76 side by side with my 85 and while the 76 is excellent, it loses by a little both day and night against the 85. The margin is not so noticeable by day as most often 50x or 60x is the higher range for terrestrial objects. But if you go up to 120x, as we did on a Red Tail Hawk sitting on an exposed branch of an oak around 200 meters away, the difference was more apparent. Not a huge difference but the added brightness of the 85 was hard to miss.  Yes, the 76 is capable of a slightly wider FOV, but no big deal as the 85 can go as wide as you’d probably ever need. I would recommend the TV76 if someone were concerned with mounting issues as you can use a less substantial mount with the 76 than the 85. Other than that, it’s the TV85 IMO. Of course, you’ll be happy with either.

• Erik Bakker, 25585 and GGK like this

#17 25585

James Webb Space Telescope

• Loc: In a valley, in the SW UK. 51°N

Posted 02 December 2021 - 02:09 PM

Other 80s to consider are the Sky Watcher ED82 Evoluxe, and Vixen SD81S.

• GGK likes this

#18 Spikey131

Spikey131

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 02 December 2021 - 02:15 PM

I would recommend the 85 over the 76 unless you plan to travel with it.  The 76 is a lot shorter, and fits in a backpack under an airline seat

Attached Thumbnails

• A2E2464C-6473-4C45-A9BC-FF7A0C7C6135.jpeg

• Erik Bakker, mrsjeff and GGK like this

#19 TareqPhoto

TareqPhoto

Cosmos

• -----

Posted 03 December 2021 - 12:00 AM

Isn't the topic about TV76 vs. AT72EDII? How that went to TV85 now? So why not add Tak FSQ85 as well, or Esprit 80, or even TS 80 triplet, i saw triplets in 70-80 aperture good price enough, in fact even there is 90 triplet that can be a bit affordable, in $1200-1400ish, if i can save for TV76 then i can afford for a triplet.

#20 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 03 December 2021 - 12:29 AM

Isn't the topic about TV76 vs. AT72EDII? How that went to TV85 now? So why not add Tak FSQ85 as well, or Esprit 80, or even TS 80 triplet, i saw triplets in 70-80 aperture good price enough, in fact even there is 90 triplet that can be a bit affordable, in $1200-1400ish, if i can save for TV76 then i can afford for a triplet.

Did you read GGKs posts? He wants a doublet, in part because of quicker thermal acclamation.

Personally.. I have a William Optics 80 mm F/7 FPL-53 doublet. It has excellent optics and very good me mechanicals.  I sits between the TV-76 and 85.  I like my TV NP-101 a great deal but I think a doublet like my WO are viable alternatives to the TeleVue scopes.

The StellarVue 80 mm Access would be a similar scope but has also been discontinued. 

5504986-Canyon de Chelley Francis.jpg

Jon

• peleuba, weis14 and GGK like this

#21 rexowner

rexowner

Viking 1

• Loc: SF Bay Area, California

Posted 03 December 2021 - 01:26 AM

I have a TV-76, and a TV-85, both green.

In my case, the TV-76 is a semi-dedicated white light solar telescope with a Herschel Wedge.

In my case, the TV-85 is more of an easy grab-and-go all-around telescope.

One comment i would have is the TV-76 is even more "front-heavy" and generally more

challenging to balance.  That's why Tele Vue sells the APB-1008 "Balance Aid" for the

TV-76 -- IMO while it helps, the TV-76 is still more front-heavy than the TV-85.

If I were to choose one of the two to buy or keep, it would be hands-down the TV-85,

unless wider views were the major priority.  The aperture is a slight plus, but easier

balancing is also a practical consideration.

• Erik Bakker and GGK like this

#22 TareqPhoto

TareqPhoto

Cosmos

• -----

Posted 03 December 2021 - 01:54 AM

Did you read GGKs posts? He wants a doublet, in part because of quicker thermal acclamation.

Personally.. I have a William Optics 80 mm F/7 FPL-53 doublet. It has excellent optics and very good me mechanicals.  I sits between the TV-76 and 85.  I like my TV NP-101 a great deal but I think a doublet like my WO are viable alternatives to the TeleVue scopes.

The StellarVue 80 mm Access would be a similar scope but has also been discontinued. 

Jon

Ah ok, i thought it was about size or weight only, anyway, going with either scope won't be a regret.

#23 gzljh96

gzljh96

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 03 December 2021 - 06:43 AM

I might be beating a dead horse here, but if OP is only doing visual, there's the Borg 72FL which is a fluorite doublet with its lens made by Canon-Optron, and it is usually configured with a Feathertouch. It's about the same price as the TV76 I believe.

• GGK likes this

#24 TareqPhoto

TareqPhoto

Cosmos

• -----

Posted 03 December 2021 - 07:14 AM

There is a Fluorite doublet which is Takahashi FS-60CB, dunno why this is not god enough, so my FPL-53 doublet is better than this Fluorite doublet for example? This thread is nice, but are we comparing optics quality or aperture or cooling time or prices?

#25 MortonH

MortonH

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Sydney, Australia

Posted 03 December 2021 - 07:19 AM

I have a TV-76, and a TV-85, both green.

In my case, the TV-76 is a semi-dedicated white light solar telescope with a Herschel Wedge.

In my case, the TV-85 is more of an easy grab-and-go all-around telescope.

One comment i would have is the TV-76 is even more "front-heavy" and generally more

challenging to balance.  That's why Tele Vue sells the APB-1008 "Balance Aid" for the

TV-76 -- IMO while it helps, the TV-76 is still more front-heavy than the TV-85.

If I were to choose one of the two to buy or keep, it would be hands-down the TV-85,

unless wider views were the major priority.  The aperture is a slight plus, but easier

balancing is also a practical consideration.

Don't you mean rear heavy? The balance aid moves the scope forward to compensate for the weight at the focuser end.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Refractor

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics