•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Another Dolly for those big heavy mounts (EQ6-R Pro)

Mount Tripod
  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 BadGrampa

BadGrampa

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Georgia USA

Posted 27 November 2021 - 04:10 PM

20211125 144006

Having seen many DIY solutions for moving the heavy mounts and looking at commercial models I decided to put my shop to work and built my rough country tripod dolly, version1.

I say version 1 because several mistakes were made along the way and wood glue does not come apart easy. 

My next version will be a bit shorter and have more robust levelers.  My original idea was to just mount the wheels under the T but that made it so high I couldn't build adequate levelers. 

Making the drop mounts for the wheels was an on-the-fly revision after the T had already been assembled. it is actually mortis and tenoned together and cross screwed. Then the plywood was glued and screwed on as well.

The wheels came from Harbor Freight and cost $18 for the swivel front and $15 each on the stationary rear. They are 10 inch pneumatic so I can roll anywhere on the property which is mostly rut filled grass.  All the nuts and bolts were another $50 or so. They are all pretty large. so total cost is about $120 with the wood. Version 2 will just cost the wood and time.

The levelers BTW are run up and down with a drill and a 3/4" socket. The frame is dead level to the tripod head so all I need to do to level is roll it into position, roughly point the rig at Polaris, set a couple torpedo levels on the base and run the levelers down. I do put vibration isolators under them really so I have a larger base on the ground. The leveler screws are 1/2" carriage bolts and I bedded a nut in the 2x6 and locked it in place with a small plywood cap underneath. 

That's about it. Happy to answer any questions or put up additional pictures if anybody wants or needs to see. 

20211125 144006
Album: DIY Projects
10 images
0 comments

Link to my gallery of pics

• Dagobert, AhBok, hornjs and 1 other like this

#2 jmillsbss

jmillsbss

Viking 1

• Loc: New Albany, Mississippi, USA

Posted 27 November 2021 - 04:43 PM

Just curious....are you gonna be pulling it behind your truck?!?  Looks sturdy enough!!!

• Barlowbill likes this

#3 Sacred Heart

Sacred Heart

Surveyor 1

Posted 27 November 2021 - 04:57 PM

This thing is a BEAST.   Where is the trailer hitch, are you using your lawn mower to pull this thing.  I would pull it from the back,  because it is top heavy and having the two wheels in front = stability.   Either way go slow.  Enjoy,   Joe

#4 BadGrampa

BadGrampa

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Georgia USA

Posted 28 November 2021 - 09:51 AM

This thing is a BEAST.   Where is the trailer hitch, are you using your lawn mower to pull this thing.  I would pull it from the back,  because it is top heavy and having the two wheels in front = stability.   Either way go slow.  Enjoy,   Joe

You know that's a good idea using the lawn mower, especially if I'm moving it out to the front yard. I'll work that into the version 2 model this spring. 

As to the stability, I moved it around the yard Saturday after a night of shooting and put it back in the shop. It is very stable. The tripod is as short as it goes and strapped to the dolly frame and that 5 foot wheel span on the back makes it very solid. I left the whole rig assembled, scope and all it never felt like it was in jeopardy of tipping. Having those wheels so far outboard may be the best mistake I made on this thing. 

• Sacred Heart likes this

#5 AhBok

AhBok

Gemini

• Loc: Lakeland, TN

Posted 28 November 2021 - 10:15 AM

Love it! Here is my humble diy dolly w/8” pneumatic tires. Rolls off the curb easily and stable enough for AP.

Attached Thumbnails

• F3FF7AA4-9C9C-48C3-8147-D7573213C832.jpeg

• payner, Wow!, Borodog and 2 others like this

#6 firemachine69

firemachine69

Viking 1

Posted 28 November 2021 - 10:23 AM

Love it! Here is my humble diy dolly w/8” pneumatic tires. Rolls off the curb easily and stable enough for AP.

That's exactly what I want to build, what materials did you use? 

• AhBok likes this

#7 AhBok

AhBok

Gemini

• Loc: Lakeland, TN

Posted 28 November 2021 - 10:47 AM

I used 3”x3”x36” posts and layered a 3”x1” red oak board on top using wood glue. The axels are 1/2” threaded rods glued into posts. The wheels are 8” pneumatic from Harbor Freight ($8 each—inexpensive). The tow handle is a repurposed lightweight water shutoff key from Lowes. Altogether, under a hundred bucks and very stable. I placed some polyurethane anti-vibration pads under the tripod feet and secured the tripod using pipe straps around the lower part of the legs, tied off with nylon ties to large eye screws.

#8 Sacred Heart

Sacred Heart

Surveyor 1

Posted 29 November 2021 - 12:46 AM

You know that's a good idea using the lawn mower, especially if I'm moving it out to the front yard. I'll work that into the version 2 model this spring. 

As to the stability, I moved it around the yard Saturday after a night of shooting and put it back in the shop. It is very stable. The tripod is as short as it goes and strapped to the dolly frame and that 5 foot wheel span on the back makes it very solid. I left the whole rig assembled, scope and all it never felt like it was in jeopardy of tipping. Having those wheels so far outboard may be the best mistake I made on this thing. 

When using a mower to pull this thing, stable or not, I would put   some extra weight to be sure.   It is hard to gauge how fast you are going and if it is not hydrostat trans the jerking of letting out the clutch.   Joe 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Mount, Tripod

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics