•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Blast from the past - Home for the Holidays ETX60

Meade Refractor
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 CarolinaBanker

CarolinaBanker

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Eastern North Carolina

Posted 27 November 2021 - 07:58 PM

So I’m home for the holidays and had the opportunity to take my old ETX 60 outside. My dad had bought it for me when I was a kid and unfortunately astronomy didn’t catch then. Home is nice Bortle 4 skies and despite the chill I was able to put the old scope through its paces.

The alignment process was very easy, just level the scope and align north, which I accomplished with my iPhone. I then ran the two star align, with a fair amount of woods all around me I was restricted to 30-45 degrees above the horizon depending on the direction.

Under these relatively dark skies 60mm was adequate, I used the tour feature to pull up tonight’s best, I looked at M34, the double cluster and a few other open clusters. I left my zoom EP in NC and only had the MA 25mm, so I wasn’t able to see how the scope performed on doubles. Planets were too low to evaluate. Overall, I thought the optics were quite good and was favorably impressed with the scope. I am honestly thinking about bringing the scope back with me to NC as a grab and go. I wish that Meade continued to produce these as the design is excellent.

• Scott in NC and BFaucett like this

#2 tog

tog

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Front Yard

Posted 27 November 2021 - 08:45 PM

Welcome home! 

#3 CarolinaBanker

CarolinaBanker

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Eastern North Carolina

Posted 27 November 2021 - 08:54 PM

Welcome home! 

Thank you! It was fun to be in much darker skies and to use state of the art technology circa 2005.

#4 aeajr

aeajr

James Webb Space Telescope

• Loc: Long Island, New York, USA

Posted 18 December 2021 - 04:47 PM

I have an ETX 60 which I technically gave to my Son-in-law, but he isn't using it and isn't really interested.  

It was given to me by a friend who didn't want it.   I took it out a few times to be sure it worked and it does.   Works really well on brighter objects and is best under 100X.  Lots of fun.

At the time I also owned an ETX 80 and ETX 125, so the 60 really wasn't something I was going to spend a lot of time with.  However, if the ETX 60 were all I had, I could have a great evening of exploring the moon and the brighter objects in the sky. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Meade, Refractor

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics