•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

What pre-processing apps to use for RAF (raw files from Fujifilm mirrorless)

Astrophotography
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 SteveSD

SteveSD

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 November 2021 - 08:47 PM

I shoot with a Fujifilm X-T2 mirrorless when I don't use my dedicated astrocam.  The trouble is the RAF files that it produces are so enormous that it can take hours to register and stack 100 lights.  I thought if I convert the files to Adobe DNG it would speed it up and maybe it does but not so you'd notice.  Does anyone know of a register and stacking app that might handle RAF files better (faster)? I've tried DSS, which is fair but much slower than it handles .FIT or .TIFF files out of my ZWO camera.  I've also tried Astro Pixel Processor and it is super super slow, altho, in fairness, it does a lot more than DSS does which it should because it's not a free program.  Any ideas would be appreciated.  I haven't tried Sequator - I don't know if it will even handle RAF files.

Thanks !

Steve

#2 Alen K

Alen K

Surveyor 1

Posted 27 November 2021 - 09:32 PM

So why not try Sequator? It doesn't take long to download and install. I can't say for sure that it will work with RAF files from the XT-2 but according to this thread it works with those from the X-A2. What I can say for sure is that it is a lot faster than anything else I have tried when stacking raw files (in my case DNG from a Pentax camera). 

#3 Poynting

Poynting

Ranger 4

• Loc: San Antonio, TX

Posted 27 November 2021 - 09:36 PM

Have you tried Pixinsight? It is not free, but you can try it free for 30 days and see if you like it better. I have used it to stack RAFs from an X-T100 with no issues.

#4 galacticinsomnia

galacticinsomnia

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Pacific Northwest - Oregon

Posted 27 November 2021 - 10:00 PM

If it were me, I'd just download the Adobe DNG converter ----> https://helpx.adobe....-converter.html

Then I would start by using any free tools available. 
I would start with Siril, Sequator, Gimp, for free.

If you can spare it, pay the 50.00 for Affinity Photo which I believe will handle your raw files directly and in 32bit.  A nice touch.. :)
Currently 30% Off so 38.00 or so..
https://affinity.serif.com/en-us/

Clear skies !!

#5 SteveSD

SteveSD

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 November 2021 - 01:57 PM

So why not try Sequator? It doesn't take long to download and install. I can't say for sure that it will work with RAF files from the XT-2 but according to this thread it works with those from the X-A2. What I can say for sure is that it is a lot faster than anything else I have tried when stacking raw files (in my case DNG from a Pentax camera). 

Hey thanks for that !  Sequator took about 28 minutes to stack 110 RAF files which is about 3.5 hours faster than the pricey Astro Pixel Processor took,  And I couldn't tell a difference in the job it did.  

Thanks, again.

#6 SteveSD

SteveSD

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 November 2021 - 02:07 PM

If it were me, I'd just download the Adobe DNG converter ----> https://helpx.adobe....-converter.html

Then I would start by using any free tools available. 
I would start with Siril, Sequator, Gimp, for free.

If you can spare it, pay the 50.00 for Affinity Photo which I believe will handle your raw files directly and in 32bit.  A nice touch.. smile.gif
Currently 30% Off so 38.00 or so..
https://affinity.serif.com/en-us/

Clear skies !!

As I said in my post, I did convert the RAF files to DNG.  Those didn't take any less time to stack.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Astrophotography

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics