•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Horsehead Work in Progress

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Ibuprofen200mg

Ibuprofen200mg

Mariner 2

• topic starter
  • Loc: SC, USA

Posted 28 November 2021 - 01:21 AM

So far I have:

9.2 hours in Ha, 275x120s subs @f/4

4.5 hours in OIII, 136x120s subs @f/4

Shot with gear in my signature.

Since there is so little OIII in this region adding in the OIII data brought in color but added a lot of noise. Kind of at a crossroad here, do I shoot more OIII to clean up the image? Does the diffraction pattern on Alnitak detract from the image? If so should I go back and reshoot this target wide open at f/2.8? I'm on the fence in regards to the color, was going for soft and sort of neutral, obviously I know it should be a much deeper red. Any input or C&C welcome.

Link to full size:https://drive.google...iew?usp=sharing

Small .jpg:

B33.jpg

• Ljubo, leesmojver, iwols and 11 others like this

#2 matt_astro_tx

matt_astro_tx

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Dallas, Texas

Posted 28 November 2021 - 07:13 AM

Bro that is amazing.  I wish my recent efforts looked as good as that!  Mono never disappoints.

• Ibuprofen200mg likes this

#3 matt_astro_tx

matt_astro_tx

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 28 November 2021 - 07:24 AM

Also mad respect for the star adventurer.  Those are good looking stars.

• Ibuprofen200mg likes this

#4 Ibuprofen200mg

Ibuprofen200mg

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 28 November 2021 - 01:34 PM

Also mad respect for the star adventurer.  Those are good looking stars.

Thanks Matt! 180 mm is a pretty forgiving FL, but I had still been getting some eggy stars on my last few sessions even though SharpCap says my PA error was ~0°00'09" - 0°00'30", and PHD2 guiding was ~1.5" which is well below my image scale of 2.75"/pix. I think my PA has been getting knocked out after alignment by moving the RA and dec axis to locate/frame the target or by the tripod settling in the soil overnight. I had been able to push this rig to 5 minutes with round stars in some earlier testing so maybe I'll look into solidifying my base/tripod. 

#5 matt_astro_tx

matt_astro_tx

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 28 November 2021 - 06:50 PM

Yeah I’ve never had good luck putting my tripod on grass. So I only use it in my driveway now. Which is a bummer because my house blocks everything to the south.

#6 iwols

iwols

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: doncaster uk

Posted 29 November 2021 - 07:43 AM

thats superb,so do you attach your nikon lens straight to the 183 then?? image of your setup?

#7 Ibuprofen200mg

Ibuprofen200mg

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 29 November 2021 - 04:07 PM

thats superb,so do you attach your nikon lens straight to the 183 then?? image of your setup?

Thanks! The 180 ED is attached to the 183MM via the ZWO Nikon adapter/filter drawer. I'll try and post an image of the rig soon. 

#8 Ibuprofen200mg

Ibuprofen200mg

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 29 November 2021 - 04:13 PM

Last night I added ~3 hours more worth of OIII which helped with the noise level somewhat. I then worked a bit harder on the processing to eliminate the tough gradients in the OIII stack. Having cleaned that up a bit I decided to open up the frame a little more to include Alnilam which I think helps frame the scene a little better. Not super happy on the stars, but very pleased with the detail on the horsehead at 180 mm FL. 

Small .jpg:

B33_3_small.jpg

Link to full-size .jpeg on Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.../full/vzp4jr/0/

Again any C&C or processing tips are welcome, thanks for looking. 

• Mike in Rancho likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics