•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Hard To Reach Lens Needs Cleaning in my SCT.

Celestron Equipment SCT
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Tartarrsauce

Tartarrsauce

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Wakayama, Japan

Posted 28 November 2021 - 03:21 AM

Hello everyone, 

I have an issue with my Celestron EdgeHD 8". The small lens that lies inside the tube that the SCT Primary Mirror rides on seems to have gotten dew on it. Once it dried it left some noticeable streaks and spots. Since this piece of glass lies INSIDE the SCT body and also deep inside the primary tube, how do I clean it? Is there a way to remove this segment of the telescope to clean? Any help will help me out a lot. 

#2 DLuders

DLuders

Soyuz

• Loc: Spokane, WA

Posted 28 November 2021 - 03:30 AM

If you really think that you must clean it, here is a generic video that should help.  Make sure that you "index" the corrector plate, so that there are marks along the edges where you can re-align it.  

• teashea likes this

#3 Tapio

Tapio

Fly Me to the Moon

• -----
  • Loc: Tampere, Finland

Posted 28 November 2021 - 04:49 AM

I think you should first test it if it really has effect on your views.

#4 Tartarrsauce

Tartarrsauce

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Wakayama, Japan

Posted 28 November 2021 - 07:29 AM

If you really think that you must clean it, here is a generic video that should help.  Make sure that you "index" the corrector plate, so that there are marks along the edges where you can re-align it.  

I should note that the glass that is dirty is not the corrector or the primary, but the lens element within the tube that the primary mirror sits around. I don't think it will cause too much of an issue, but wanted to see if there was a way to get at this glass without removing everything. 

#5 rmollise

rmollise

ISS

• Loc: US

Posted 28 November 2021 - 10:06 AM

Hello everyone, 

I have an issue with my Celestron EdgeHD 8". The small lens that lies inside the tube that the SCT Primary Mirror rides on seems to have gotten dew on it. Once it dried it left some noticeable streaks and spots. Since this piece of glass lies INSIDE the SCT body and also deep inside the primary tube, how do I clean it? Is there a way to remove this segment of the telescope to clean? Any help will help me out a lot. 

I believe you will find this has no effect on images. At any rate, if you've never torn an SCT down to parade rest, this is not an overly trivial job. See how she works, first. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Celestron, Equipment, SCT

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics