•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Need help with telescope buying dilemma (yes I read all the threads)

Astrophotography Beginner Reflector Maksutov
  • Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#26 rhetfield

rhetfield

Vanguard

• Loc: Suburban Chicago, IL, USA

Posted 28 November 2021 - 07:53 PM

The ideal would be a 6" f5 newt with a 2" focuser. It will have both wide field and high magnification. Good general purpose scope. The Orion listed by the OP is only a 1.25".

The 130mm newts are a good second choice. They get a little less wide field and a little less magnification, but still perform well in darker skies.

Save money by getting one in a dob or mini dob mount. Add DIY degree circles for navigation. Get a good eq mount later if desired. The eq mounts on budget scope are the weak link.

#27 Echolight

Echolight

Gemini

• Loc: Texas

Posted 28 November 2021 - 07:54 PM

I have no experience with these. But for just a bit more than a solid tube 8 inch dob, there is the Costco dob. An econo 10 inch truss tube dobsonian. These are a bit more complicated. Require assembly. Likely don’t hold collimation as well as a solid tube. And may need a bit of tinkering now and then. And probably sold out like many scopes. But the price is especially attractive for a 10 inch scope

Just a thought.

The 6 inch is of course the most affordable and easy to use. The Skywatcher 6 inch f/8 has a 2 inch focuser, which is otherwise not available in other brands unless you move up to an 8 inch model.

#28 Dave Mitsky

Dave Mitsky

ISS

• Moderators
  • Loc: PA, USA, Planet Earth

Posted 28 November 2021 - 08:12 PM

While it doesn't deal with purchasing a telescope directly, you may find some of the information on astronomy, amateur astronomy, and observing presented in my post (#22) at https://www.cloudyni...mers/?p=5184287 of interest, Diymama.  There are sections on various books, observing guides, star-hopping, stellar atlases, planispheres, planetarium programs, astronomy apps, deep-sky object observing, lists of celestial objects, binocular astronomy, and urban astronomy.

#29 VincenzoZito

VincenzoZito

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 29 November 2021 - 09:42 AM

Hi,

if someone asked me, which car would you recommend for my son who has just been licensed, I would say Fiat 500 (as a good Italian).
In your case I would say, ST80 and if the badget allows it ST120.
Hunger then comes with eating.

Edited by VincenzoZito, 29 November 2021 - 09:42 AM.

#30 csrlice12

csrlice12

ISS

• Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 29 November 2021 - 11:15 AM

"He is very meticulous so that's what I was betting on overcoming the frustration. (He loves precision and fiddling, which most people don't. smile.gif )"

This screams dob about as loudly as one can....

Mile High Astronomy in Denver has the SkyWatcher 6" f8 dob IN STOCK.

Edited by csrlice12, 29 November 2021 - 11:18 AM.

• mrsjeff likes this

#31 Cliff Hipsher

Cliff Hipsher

Apollo

• Loc: North Chesterfield, VA

Posted 29 November 2021 - 11:55 AM

(my original plan was to buy a go-kart and upgrade into a Ferrari smile.gif ) and I don't know a lot about the difference in optics (my son is the expert but wants to be surprised at Christmas), I would appreciate any advice/help/experience that the community has had with any of these choices.  (Or if there is a better one that I may have missed?). 

Any and all input would be greatly appreciated. 

Thank-you & Happy Holidays. 

Famous last words in red...

The worst thing you can ever do is buy a telescope for someone else, particularly if that individual in an "expert" who no doubt has his own ideas and expectations.

Do your self and you son a favor:  Give him a pre-paid gift card and let him make his own choices.

• Dave Mitsky likes this

#32 vtornado

vtornado

Aurora

• Loc: NE Illinois

Posted 29 November 2021 - 12:33 PM

Of the scopes you listed, the Astroview 6 is the most capable and well mounted scope.

Celestron has their equivalent setup  It is $20.00 less and has a sturdier tripod.

https://www.celestro...t-150-telescope

I have this scope and it is high quality.  It can be motorized for tracking for around $50.00

If your son has interestest in EAA the EQ scope and mount can be used with a camera.

EAA=Electronically assisted astronomy.  There is a whole thread on this forum

for references.  This typically requires an astro camera and laptop.

An 8 inch dob is better for pure visual and lower cost.

https://www.astronom...r.html?___SID=U

A home-made push to system can be made for the dob for around $50.00 that will help locate hard to find dim objects.

For a 130mm table top dob, you will have to find a sturdy platform to put

it on.  (This can be done, I can track a 130x on a resin side table from target)  You can save a lot of money and space

compared to a full sized dob.  Similar the full scale one can make

a manual push to system for object location.

Edited by vtornado, 29 November 2021 - 12:37 PM.

• isolli likes this

#33 Echolight

Echolight

Gemini

Posted 29 November 2021 - 02:13 PM

Of the scopes you listed, the Astroview 6 is the most capable and well mounted scope.

Celestron has their equivalent setup  It is $20.00 less and has a sturdier tripod.

https://www.celestro...t-150-telescope

I have this scope and it is high quality.  It can be motorized for tracking for around $50.00

If your son has interestest in EAA the EQ scope and mount can be used with a camera.

EAA=Electronically assisted astronomy.  There is a whole thread on this forum

for references.  This typically requires an astro camera and laptop.

An 8 inch dob is better for pure visual and lower cost.

https://www.astronom...r.html?___SID=U

A home-made push to system can be made for the dob for around $50.00 that will help locate hard to find dim objects.

For a 130mm table top dob, you will have to find a sturdy platform to put

it on.  (This can be done, I can track a 130x on a resin side table from target)  You can save a lot of money and space

compared to a full sized dob.  Similar the full scale one can make

a manual push to system for object location.

+1

The Omni XLT 150 comes with a 2 inch metal focuser too. So potential for much wider field of view with a 2 inch eyepiece (more money..the eyepiece.... go-cart to Ferrari.)

Edited by Echolight, 29 November 2021 - 02:13 PM.

• mrsjeff likes this

#34 Diymama

Diymama

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 02 December 2021 - 11:29 AM

The ideal would be a 6" f5 newt with a 2" focuser. It will have both wide field and high magnification. Good general purpose scope. The Orion listed by the OP is only a 1.25".

The 130mm newts are a good second choice. They get a little less wide field and a little less magnification, but still perform well in darker skies.

Save money by getting one in a dob or mini dob mount. Add DIY degree circles for navigation. Get a good eq mount later if desired. The eq mounts on budget scope are the weak link.

I have added all your suggestions to the revised list. (Thank-you.) Yes, I have gathered that from the comments in this thread and in general from other sites that EQ (if I go that way) should be of better quality than what comes on a budget scope.    I am starting to understand that 'cheap' is not necessarily better in this case. 

#35 Diymama

Diymama

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 02 December 2021 - 11:37 AM

I have no experience with these. But for just a bit more than a solid tube 8 inch dob, there is the Costco dob. An econo 10 inch truss tube dobsonian. These are a bit more complicated. Require assembly. Likely don’t hold collimation as well as a solid tube. And may need a bit of tinkering now and then. And probably sold out like many scopes. But the price is especially attractive for a 10 inch scope

Just a thought.

The 6 inch is of course the most affordable and easy to use. The Skywatcher 6 inch f/8 has a 2 inch focuser, which is otherwise not available in other brands unless you move up to an 8 inch model.

I will look at your suggestions, appreciate it.   We're not opposed to tinkering.  Yeah, my bean may end up getting  a better model because everytime I land on something, it's sold out.  :( 

#36 Diymama

Diymama

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 02 December 2021 - 11:39 AM

While it doesn't deal with purchasing a telescope directly, you may find some of the information on astronomy, amateur astronomy, and observing presented in my post (#22) at https://www.cloudyni...mers/?p=5184287 of interest, Diymama.  There are sections on various books, observing guides, star-hopping, stellar atlases, planispheres, planetarium programs, astronomy apps, deep-sky object observing, lists of celestial objects, binocular astronomy, and urban astronomy.

This is fantastic.  To go with the scope I am gathering a list of links to give with the gift, so he can hit the ground running.  Thanks for this, I will add it in.  :) 

#37 Diymama

Diymama

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 02 December 2021 - 11:45 AM

Hi,

if someone asked me, which car would you recommend for my son who has just been licensed, I would say Fiat 500 (as a good Italian).
In your case I would say, ST80 and if the badget allows it ST120.
Hunger then comes with eating.

Viva Italia! laugh.gif  I would expect nothing less! Thanks I will add those in.  Have a good Christmas! 

#38 Diymama

Diymama

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 02 December 2021 - 11:47 AM

"He is very meticulous so that's what I was betting on overcoming the frustration. (He loves precision and fiddling, which most people don't. smile.gif )"

This screams dob about as loudly as one can....

Mile High Astronomy in Denver has the SkyWatcher 6" f8 dob IN STOCK.

Ah, that's what I was hoping, that if I let you all know a bit about him, it might help fit him to a telescope type?! Ok I have added it in, :).  Thx for taking the time. 

#39 Diymama

Diymama

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 02 December 2021 - 11:56 AM

(my original plan was to buy a go-kart and upgrade into a Ferrari smile.gif ) and I don't know a lot about the difference in optics (my son is the expert but wants to be surprised at Christmas), I would appreciate any advice/help/experience that the community has had with any of these choices.  (Or if there is a better one that I may have missed?). 

Any and all input would be greatly appreciated. 

Thank-you & Happy Holidays. 

Famous last words in red...

The worst thing you can ever do is buy a telescope for someone else, particularly if that individual in an "expert" who no doubt has his own ideas and expectations.

Do your self and you son a favor:  Give him a pre-paid gift card and let him make his own choices.

LOL!! It's like you're sitting right beside me reading my mind.   Fair point re: Famous last words. Yeah but hey as a beginner at least I can entertain you all with watching me build my parachute on the way down.  :)  (Yep that was my plan and previously suggested by another post I believe, re: gift card.) But it has been politely rejected in favour of an actual present under the tree. (I am making sure there is a rock-solid return policy. ) Have a good Christmas and thanks for the chuckle! 

#40 firemachine69

firemachine69

Viking 1

Posted 02 December 2021 - 03:07 PM

https://www.telescop...62/p/130975.uts

Start there.

Otherwise, get the Starblast.

Edited by firemachine69, 02 December 2021 - 03:09 PM.

#41 Mitrovarr

Mitrovarr

Skylab

• Loc: Boise, Idaho

Posted 02 December 2021 - 04:03 PM

When I saw that the son is university age, the advice is pretty obvious. Pick a budget and then buy the largest dobsonian that fits into it.

A dobsonian will always be, by quite a bit, the most powerful telescope you can buy for any given amount of money. And the mounts are not unpleasant like cheap tripods are. So they're the natural choice for beginners who are primarily limited by money.
  • dnrmilspec likes this

#42 whizbang

whizbang

Apollo

• Loc: NE of Seattle, WA

Posted 02 December 2021 - 08:00 PM

+1 what Mitrovarr just said.

Get a 6, 8, or 10 inch DOB.

#43 Lambda86

Lambda86

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Monterey Bay

Posted 09 December 2021 - 02:03 AM

Love it or hate it. First sight, first light for me. 

My yard cannon

attachicon.gif148DA892-2728-42F6-A612-9C76C25B7259.jpeg

Boom. Love how you are straight piping your light. Pure nectar. 

#44 Echolight

Echolight

Gemini

Posted 09 December 2021 - 08:44 AM

Boom. Love how you are straight piping your light. Pure nectar. 

Ha! I don’t really look through it like that. I’m not that serious! lol.gif  That little 1.25 eyepiece is just a dust plug!

Here’s the more typical setup. Note the large comfy leather swivel rocker garage sale office chair. And giant 2 inch eyepiece.

B2585049-5035-4602-B71C-322EAABFBCFF.jpeg

But lately, as a matter of eyepiece orientation and general viewing convenience, this unconventional C8 on a Bogen 3068 and 116, with bungee tarp strap used as a counter spring, along with reducer and 2 inch eyepieces for 2 degree field of view, has taken over top spot in the semi-big scope grab and go lineup.

ED0A68A8-F63F-45D5-B93A-C0F6D7686E8C.jpeg

Note the C8 on a 116 video fluid head counterspring setup, to keep the scope from tipping back once it passes the balance point. It stays put up to about 85 degrees. After that, to get to zenith (90 degrees straight up) I have to keep my hand on the handle.

The bungee is necessary because the 116 places the center of gravity far above the altitude axis. And unlike an equatorial mount, there is no counterweight.

More modern, and expensive, fluid heads have the counterspring built in.

FD0E1613-E7C0-405A-BCD4-10801651DBF3.jpeg

Edited by Echolight, 09 December 2021 - 09:12 AM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Astrophotography, Beginner, Reflector, Maksutov

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics