•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

ASIair Pro app under BlueStacks sometimes has incorrect mount time

Mount Astrophotography Equipment
  • Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Doug Herbst

Doug Herbst

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 November 2021 - 01:54 PM

I was having some strange problems with guiding and I think I found the cause and a workaround.  The cause seems to be that the ASIair app doesn't work as well on my Windows 10 laptop under BlueStacks as compared to my iPhone.  On the laptop, ASIair sometimes thinks that my iOptron CEM70-EC mount is running minutes (and sometimes even hours) behind actual time.  This causes all sorts  of problems:  guiding, meridian calculation, and faulty "Object is below the horizon" messages.  Things get worse if you tell ASIair to synch the time to the mount, then ASIair AND the mount's HBX now have the incorrect time.  I corrected the problem two ways last night.  One:  bring up the app on my iPhone and sync to phone.  The ASIair mount time then matches the HBX on the mount.  But be aware that the app doesn't increment the mount's time on the screen in real time like it does on the HBX.  Two:  reboot the ASIair Pro and shut down/re-launch the app.  I was having trouble getting the ASIair Pro app to show the correct time in the upper left on the laptop.  A couple of days ago it was persistently ticking about 7 hours behind!  Once I got around this quirk, I was guiding beautifully last night.  As my reward, the "clear skies" forecast was updated to "some passing clouds" but looked more like "many passing clouds and haze" to me.

#2 Doug Herbst

Doug Herbst

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 30 November 2021 - 12:23 AM

The actual culprit turned out to be BlueStacks. It needs the internet to set the correct time for the ASIair app. Since the ASIair connection does not have internet access, it cannot set the correct time.
  • mrlovt likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Mount, Astrophotography, Equipment

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics