•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Need a recommendation on a dew strap solution

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Borodog

Borodog

Soyuz

• topic starter

Posted 28 November 2021 - 05:21 PM

Preferably one that can fit either a C8 or and 1100 EdgeHD if possible. If not, 2 straps. I also need some way to power it. I know they run off of 12V DC power. Can I use a Y splitter to power both the CGEM and a dew strap from the CGEM's power supply? Is there some way to control the amount of heat?

Edited by Borodog, 28 November 2021 - 08:12 PM.

#2 David Boulanger

David Boulanger

Messenger

• Loc: Naples, Florida

Posted 28 November 2021 - 05:32 PM

https://www.telescop...s?ensembleId=22

Plus the main controller.  It has a cigarette lighter type plug.  Not cheap.  I have been happy with mine.

If you have the conditions like I do imaging from 7 - 12 is no problem.  it's after midnight that things get soggy. 

• bobzeq25 likes this

#3 havasman

havasman

Hubble

• Loc: Dallas, Texas

Posted 28 November 2021 - 05:53 PM

Orion's price is way too high. As usual they fleece those less aware of their accessory supplier options.

I have used and recommend R-Sky heater strips and controllers. They work very well and they are less expensive than many others. The controllers come with the cigarette lighter plug but I have removed all those and use crimp on female blade connectors that securely fit the tabs on 12vDC AGM batteries. (Like all good controllers these are PWM devices so maintaining polarity is advised despite the simple load of the strips.) I use their Telrad heater, large eyepiece strap and controllers (both single and dual channel) as well a using 2 of their large ep strips to warm my eyepiece case slightly. The finderscope on my new Dob requires dew control so I'm going to get R-Sky's finder heater on order. R-Sky  -  https://r-sky.org/en/products

R-Sky can be searched on the forums to find many other users experiences with their gear.

Yes, a Y-splitter can be used to run 2 strips off 1 power output.

Edited by havasman, 28 November 2021 - 07:58 PM.

• Jeff L, Jethro7 and Borodog like this

#4 luxo II

luxo II

Fly Me to the Moon

• ****-
  • Loc: Sydney, Australia

Posted 28 November 2021 - 05:57 PM

There is an alternative - plenty of threads on CN about it - suggest you might try a dewcap with fan in the dewcap to create a vortex of air over the corrector, this uses far less power than dewstrap and doesn't create thermal issues inside the OTA that degrade your "seeing".

This thread especially (there are others)

https://www.cloudyni...ew-elimination/

Edited by luxo II, 28 November 2021 - 06:23 PM.

• Borodog likes this

#5 Jethro7

Jethro7

Vanguard

• Loc: N.W. Florida

Posted 28 November 2021 - 06:21 PM

R-Sky  -  https://r-sky.org/en/products

Hello Havasman,

Thank you for the link. I have never heard of this company before and you are right their prices are attractive.

HAPPY SKIES TO YOU AND KEEP LOOKING UP Jethro

• havasman and terrypaula like this

#6 matt_astro_tx

matt_astro_tx

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 28 November 2021 - 06:58 PM

I bought a USB lens heater strap off Amazon for $19 about 6 months ago. Works great. It’s made by some company called Coo Woo.

#7 Borodog

Borodog

Soyuz

• topic starter

Posted 28 November 2021 - 08:16 PM

There is an alternative - plenty of threads on CN about it - suggest you might try a dewcap with fan in the dewcap to create a vortex of air over the corrector, this uses far less power than dewstrap and doesn't create thermal issues inside the OTA that degrade your "seeing".

This thread especially (there are others)

https://www.cloudyni...ew-elimination/

I am aware. I would prefer this solution but frankly I'm not handy enough to implement it well. I would end up half-assing it, and I know this about myself. If there were an off-the-shelf solution for this I would definitely consider it.

Edited by Borodog, 28 November 2021 - 08:16 PM.

#8 Borodog

Borodog

Soyuz

• topic starter

Posted 28 November 2021 - 08:17 PM

I bought a USB lens heater strap off Amazon for $19 about 6 months ago. Works great. It’s made by some company called Coo Woo.

"Lens" heater strap? For a C8 or 1100 EdgeHD?

#9 Borodog

Borodog

Soyuz

• topic starter

Posted 28 November 2021 - 08:26 PM

Orion's price is way too high. As usual they fleece those less aware of their accessory supplier options.

I have used and recommend R-Sky heater strips and controllers. They work very well and they are less expensive than many others. The controllers come with the cigarette lighter plug but I have removed all those and use crimp on female blade connectors that securely fit the tabs on 12vDC AGM batteries. (Like all good controllers these are PWM devices so maintaining polarity is advised despite the simple load of the strips.) I use their Telrad heater, large eyepiece strap and controllers (both single and dual channel) as well a using 2 of their large ep strips to warm my eyepiece case slightly. The finderscope on my new Dob requires dew control so I'm going to get R-Sky's finder heater on order. R-Sky  -  https://r-sky.org/en/products

R-Sky can be searched on the forums to find many other users experiences with their gear.

Yes, a Y-splitter can be used to run 2 strips off 1 power output.

These look very interesting. Thanks for the link.

The question about the Y-splitter though, as unclear as I made it, was whether the CGEM AC power brick could power both the mount and a dew strip at the same time.

#10 Napp

Napp

Soyuz

• Moderators
  • Loc: Northeast Florida, USA

Posted 28 November 2021 - 08:28 PM

"Lens" heater strap? For a C8 or 1100 EdgeHD?

I suspect the OP is referring to a dew heater for a camera lens or small scope.  I have a couple I use for binoculars or camera lenses.  For your size scopes you need dew heaters designed for the purpose and with good temperature control.  There are about half a dozen brands making good telescope dew heaters and controllers.  Astrozap, Dew-Not, Kendrick, Thousand Oaks, Dew-Buster are some.  R-Sky is good and tends to be cheaper.  However, the company is in Russia so shipping can take a month or more.

• Borodog likes this

#11 havasman

havasman

Hubble

Posted 29 November 2021 - 12:16 AM

R-Sky is good...  However, the company is in Russia so shipping can take a month or more.

That has never been my experience. They are in Russia. Doing small volume hard currency entrepreneurial export capitalism and I've always found that interesting. I've had things sit in customs for a few days but they use the government post and USPS delivers. I've probably had 6 transactions with them over the last few years.

#12 Napp

Napp

Soyuz

• Moderators

Posted 29 November 2021 - 12:20 AM

That has never been my experience. They are in Russia. Doing small volume hard currency entrepreneurial export capitalism and I've always found that interesting. I've had things sit in customs for a few days but they use the government post and USPS delivers. I've probably had 6 transactions with them over the last few years.

I have ordered twice from them and about to place a third order.  Good products but the shipments were hung up in customs on both sides and each took about a month.  

#13 havasman

havasman

Hubble

Posted 29 November 2021 - 12:23 AM

I know they run off of 12V DC power. Can I use a Y splitter to power both the CGEM and a dew strap from the CGEM's power supply?

Yes. The matter is how long the supplying device will power whatever you connect to it. The draw of each connected piece should be readily available so you can find that answer. Adding another supply or using a higher capacity one (in amp-hours) will run longer if you need.

• Borodog likes this

#14 Borodog

Borodog

Soyuz

• topic starter

Posted 29 November 2021 - 11:52 AM

Yes. The matter is how long the supplying device will power whatever you connect to it. The draw of each connected piece should be readily available so you can find that answer. Adding another supply or using a higher capacity one (in amp-hours) will run longer if you need.

I still don't think I am making myself clear. The question is, can the CGEM's AC power brick (not a battery) power both the mount and the dew strap?

#15 rhaskins

rhaskins

Messenger

• Loc: Minnesota

Posted 29 November 2021 - 08:49 PM

I would say no as the brick, I have one for my celestron AVX and/or CGX is rated for 5 amps and has the celestron screw on connector. 

For me, I use kendrick controller now and kendrick heaters. I buy to forget - no problems just reliability. the kendrick controller can look at ambient and just be a few degrees above to prevent dew. I also have pegasus astro controllers that does the same thing.

good, fast, cheap, pick any two. That is the old engineering question. If it is good and fast it is going to be expensive. If it is good and cheap it will require lots of time. If it is cheap and fast the quality will be poor. Havasman is a really knowledgeable guy, I have learned a lot from him. But I don't want any hassle. YMMV.

BTW, Russia and Ukraine make really great products, some of them in my home for astro. But my heaters come from Canada. smile.gif

Rick

#16 Borodog

Borodog

Soyuz

• topic starter

Posted 30 November 2021 - 01:28 PM

What are people's opinions of the Astrozap heated dew shields?

#17 Napp

Napp

Soyuz

• Moderators

Posted 30 November 2021 - 01:33 PM

What are people's opinions of the Astrozap heated dew shields?

I had one that I ended up selling because I sold the scope.  It seemed to be built well.  When it was time to buy another dew shield I bought a regular Astrozap shield with a separate dew heater.  The reason was to allow adding a notch in the future.  You cannot add notches to the heated dew shield because you would cut the heater wire.  If there is any chance you might add another rail to the scope to accomodate a new accessory which could require adding a notch I recommend buying the regular dew shield and separate dew heater.

• Borodog likes this

#18 rhaskins

rhaskins

Messenger

• Loc: Minnesota

Posted 30 November 2021 - 02:45 PM

What Mike said. Kendrick has a PDF document on just that, modifying the Dewcap (their terminology).

https://www.kendrick...com/dewcap.html

Rick

• Napp likes this

#19 Borodog

Borodog

Soyuz

• topic starter

Posted 01 December 2021 - 08:49 AM

Well, I think I'm going to go with R-Sky. They seem to be the only ones to offer heavy duty dew heaters for high humidity areas, and I live in a swamp. Literally; it's called 12 Mile Swamp. I rarely had dew in Raleigh, and it's humid there too, but this . . . this is insane. Basically all of my evenings lately have been ended early by dew. Basically by the time I am setup and ready to go, everything is dripping wet.

Thanks for all the information everyone.

#20 Napp

Napp

Soyuz

• Moderators

Posted 01 December 2021 - 09:06 AM

Well, I think I'm going to go with R-Sky. They seem to be the only ones to offer heavy duty dew heaters for high humidity areas, and I live in a swamp. Literally; it's called 12 Mile Swamp. I rarely had dew in Raleigh, and it's humid there too, but this . . . this is insane. Basically all of my evenings lately have been ended early by dew. Basically by the time I am setup and ready to go, everything is dripping wet.

Thanks for all the information everyone.

I have dew heaters from Astrozap, Dew-Not and R-Sky.  I observe in Florida where dew is heavy and constant.  Heavy Duty sounds like marketing to me.  You don’t want to apply a lot of heat - just enough.  This is not a knock on R- Sky.  In fact I am about to order from them again.  But you are not going to be applying a lot of heat.  Doing so will introduce it’s own bad consequences.

• rhaskins and Borodog like this

#21 Borodog

Borodog

Soyuz

• topic starter

Posted 01 December 2021 - 03:04 PM

I have dew heaters from Astrozap, Dew-Not and R-Sky.  I observe in Florida where dew is heavy and constant.  Heavy Duty sounds like marketing to me.  You don’t want to apply a lot of heat - just enough.  This is not a knock on R- Sky.  In fact I am about to order from them again.  But you are not going to be applying a lot of heat.  Doing so will introduce it’s own bad consequences.

Basically they offer a "big" version for high humidity environments. The heat load is still variable of course, I won't be using any more heat than necessary, but I didn't want to pull the trigger on something only to find out that it can't keep up with the conditions here.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics