•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Super-Simple Servomotor Controller

DIY Visual
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 rlw1138

rlw1138

Sputnik

• topic starter
  • Loc: 88W 42N

Posted 28 November 2021 - 08:51 PM

I don't "astro-photo" -- strictly visual -- and I wanted a way to turn my focuser knobs without touching them.

I didn't need it to remember any focus positions, or compensate for temperature, or to interface with k-stars or stellarium or whatever.

I just wanted it to "feel" just like using the normal focuser knob.

I also wanted an easy Arduino project.

I wanted it all to be fairly cheap, too.

I've come up with a very workable combo: the software's only a little over 3K of memory so it runs in most any Arduino MCU board, even the tiniest ones.

It uses cheap servo-motors and minimal components (but yes, some soldering is needed).

The most difficult part -- for me, anyway -- was the physical mounting for the motors and the drivetrains.

On my Maksutov, the motor is driving toothed timing-belt pulleys. The motor is screwed directly to the side of my Newtonian with a small wood pulley driving the larger focuser knob with a 3mm thick round urethame drive belt. My Lunt Solar 50mm uses a little homemade aluminum pulley with the same 3mm round urethane wrapped almost all the way around the helical focuser body -- the motor is fixed to the side with Velcro!

Of course, you'll need a personal computer that can run the Arduino IDE software (to program your electronics). And you'll need to be able to solder.

Full details -- including wiring diagram and the program -- are on my Wordpress blog: https://s4rc4sm.word...tor-controller/

There's a (very) short video demo, and also a link to github for the latest software. (I tweak, I can't help it)

What do you think?

• markb and Andreas_Roerig like this

#2 cmooney91

cmooney91

Messenger

• Loc: Massachusetts

Posted 29 November 2021 - 10:43 AM

Very nice. 

For others who are not as savvy with soldering and flashing, they could use a ready made "RC servo tester" with an extension cable to have a proportional control knob for the servo. 

Edited by cmooney91, 29 November 2021 - 10:43 AM.

• rlw1138 likes this

#3 rlw1138

rlw1138

Sputnik

• topic starter

Posted 29 November 2021 - 03:12 PM

I wanted to do that -- to avoid having to do what I ended up doing! -- but I could only get it to work with a "normal" 0 to 180 servo. For some reason, none of my 'continuous' servos would turn. And I needed more than 180 degrees of travel.

#4 Josepm

Josepm

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Lleida, Spain

Posted 30 November 2021 - 09:20 AM

Interesting... As I already have all the parts, I will try it. 

As I wish to have the focuser control away from the scope, I assume that using a shielded cable to the rotary encoder will be fine.

Thanks for your post!

• rlw1138 likes this

#5 rlw1138

rlw1138

Sputnik

• topic starter

Posted 30 November 2021 - 11:04 AM

Shielding the control cable won't be necessary.

The "read_rotary_encoder()" subroutine I used should ignore any spurious 'blips' on the wires.

Pro-Tip: Mount the encoder and the Arduino in the same enclosure, and you'll be all set. If your enclosure is transparent (I used a plastic pill bottle) the red LEDs help you locate the control in the dark.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: DIY, Visual

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics