•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Siril 1.0 rc1 is out, adding pixel math!

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Ohseven

Ohseven

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 November 2021 - 09:21 PM

First, the link!

It has better graphs for frame selection plots with more variables, improved performance with registration, and some better astrometry tools. But most importantly, it has its first version of pixel math!! For those of us without PixInsight, this is a much needed addition! Excellent work by their devs!

• revans, tboss70, Ron (Lubbock) and 4 others like this

#2 T~Stew

T~Stew

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: central Ohio

Posted 28 November 2021 - 10:27 PM

First, the link!

It has better graphs for frame selection plots with more variables, improved performance with registration, and some better astrometry tools. But most importantly, it has its first version of pixel math!! For those of us without PixInsight, this is a much needed addition! Excellent work by their devs!

Awesome! I saw a new version was hot off the press, but haven't looked into it yet to see what was added as its been an 72hr+ week at work for me.

I've heard the term pixelmath a few times but not too familiar. Is that what allows one to scale different sized images to be stack together?

• cissou8 likes this

#3 Ohseven

Ohseven

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 29 November 2021 - 12:14 AM

pixel math simply allows you change the values of pixels based on mathematical expressions. For example, putting stars onto a starless image is just adding the two together. It's also used for mapping the colors of narrowband images to the RGB channels. But some very smart people put together very complex expressions to do some transformations with more finesse than possible with other tools. Another free program called Image magick can do pixel math, but it takes work to translate PI expressions.

• T~Stew likes this

#4 matt_astro_tx

matt_astro_tx

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Dallas, Texas

Posted 29 November 2021 - 08:29 AM

I downloaded over the weekend.  Extremely beneficial update.  Even runs faster in some respects.  It also includes sensor tilt analysis (cmd: tilt) which is fantastic.  

• tboss70, lock042, jonnybravo0311 and 1 other like this

#5 jonnybravo0311

jonnybravo0311

Gemini

• Loc: NJ, US

Posted 29 November 2021 - 09:21 AM

That "tilt" command is fantastic. I've never bothered installing/learning CCD Inspector or ASTAP for their tilt analysis. I've always just used PI's FWHMEccentricity script with support. I've always suspected a bit of tilt in my images. Well... I have SiriL, so I opened up a sub and ran the tilt command. Yup... there's some tilt there. Couldn't be easier... just type "tilt" and it gives you a nice graphical representation of the tilt.

SiriL is really a great tool that has had a lot of hard work put into it.

Edit to add some visuals :)

First, is the result of the tilt command for a sub taken with my GT81 and 6AIII:

med_gallery_347158_17923_718923.png

Next is the result of tilt for a sub taken with my GT81 and the Hotech 2" flattener I just got:

med_gallery_347158_17923_170786.png

Edited by jonnybravo0311, 29 November 2021 - 01:27 PM.

• lock042, limeyx, rcg1 and 7 others like this

#6 danny1976

danny1976

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Belgium

Posted 29 November 2021 - 05:53 PM

Thanks for the Tilt command. I also did that and this is my result,

Tilt-command-Siril.jpg

Does this mean I have to start adjusting the screws on the top plate from my ASI2600MC?

#7 revans

revans

Vanguard

• Loc: Fitchburg, MA

Posted 29 November 2021 - 06:19 PM

I used pixel math this afternoon in combination with StarNet++ to produce a pure star image by subtracting the StarNet++ starless (nebular) image from the original stacked image.  It was as simple as: file1-file2 in the work window.

• Ohseven likes this

#8 Ohseven

Ohseven

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 30 November 2021 - 03:57 AM

I used pixel math this afternoon in combination with StarNet++ to produce a pure star image by subtracting the StarNet++ starless (nebular) image from the original stacked image.  It was as simple as: file1-file2 in the work window.

That can certainly be done in photoshop as well, but it takes a few layer duplications and blending mode changes. It sounds easier in siril if that's where the initial stretching and color calibration is done already

#9 T~Stew

T~Stew

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: central Ohio

Posted 30 November 2021 - 05:12 AM

I've always done that in gimp by adding the starless starnet++ image as layer above the original in subtract mode. I don't see how it could get any easier. 

I'd say it saves you a trip to Gimp if Siril can do it, but I'm going to be taking the stacked file elsewhere for final tweaking anyhow. 

Curious what other functions it can do though, I know I've heard pixel math quite frequently on the forums.

The tilt feature looks interesting, perhaps it will help me troubleshoot one of my modded cams that developed what seems to be a bit too much sensor tilt after I modded and moved the sensor a bit.

#10 forecastsaysno

forecastsaysno

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 30 November 2021 - 06:08 AM

Runs so much smoother on m1 mac than previous versions; no more click and pause. I'm hoping the full release will have a higher resolution GUI. As it currently stands, the font appears a bit blurry for my liking.

Edited by forecastsaysno, 30 November 2021 - 06:12 AM.

#11 lock042

lock042

Siril astronomical image processing software

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 30 November 2021 - 06:40 AM

I'm hoping the full release will have a higher resolution GUI. As it currently stands, the font appears a bit blurry for my liking.

Sadely, it is unlikely. This "blur" stuff is a workaround for a GTK3 bug with MacOS platforms.

#12 forecastsaysno

forecastsaysno

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 30 November 2021 - 06:46 AM

Sadely, it is unlikely. This "blur" stuff is a workaround for a GTK3 bug with MacOS platforms.

That's a shame. Excellent work btw :)

• lock042 likes this

#13 WolfHeart

WolfHeart

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 01 December 2021 - 04:33 AM

Does it only work with fits files? I tried to add starless tiff files and it could only see fits. 

Also can someone tell me how to combine narrow band channels?

I use an l-extreme with my modded Nikon Z6II, so usually I extract the channels in PS and use Starnet++ to combine starless channels into one and then add the stars.

#14 lock042

lock042

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 01 December 2021 - 05:36 AM

Does it only work with fits files? I tried to add starless tiff files and it could only see fits. 

Yes but Siril can convert your files.

#15 cissou8

cissou8

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: France

Posted 08 December 2021 - 01:35 PM

Rc2 is out! https://staging.siri...iril-1.0.0-rc2/

Comes with bug fixes and a video introducing how to use the new plotting features.

Update and enjoy!
C.
  • dx_ron, jonnybravo0311 and matt_astro_tx like this

#16 matt_astro_tx

matt_astro_tx

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Dallas, Texas

Posted 08 December 2021 - 02:08 PM

Can't wait to take it for a spin!

• cissou8 likes this

#17 dx_ron

dx_ron

Viking 1

• Loc: SW Ohio

Posted 08 December 2021 - 02:59 PM

If the bug fixes include fixing "shuts down if you do too much", I'm excited!

• rcg1 and chili555 like this

#18 cissou8

cissou8

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: France

Posted 08 December 2021 - 03:49 PM

If the bug fixes include fixing "shuts down if you do too much", I'm excited!

This should normally be gone ;)

• rcg1 and dx_ron like this

#19 balykos

balykos

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: New York, NY

Posted 08 December 2021 - 04:55 PM

I'm using this version on Windows and I find that the program terminates after most manual "add to sequence" operations. script based processing seems to work fine

#20 lock042

lock042

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 08 December 2021 - 04:57 PM

I'm using this version on Windows and I find that the program terminates after most manual "add to sequence" operations. script based processing seems to work fine

Which version?

#21 balykos

balykos

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: New York, NY

Posted 08 December 2021 - 05:24 PM

1.0.0-rc1 - however I just turned it on it's prompting me to download 1.0.0-rc2.

I will experiment with this version when I get the chance.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics