•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

AR2898 & AR2900 with Filaprom | HA | Nov 29th 2021

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Cosmos

• topic starter
  • Loc: Florida

Posted 29 November 2021 - 11:20 AM

Heya,

It's been a while for me to have a scope on the sun for imaging; I've been visual the past few weeks which is a nice break from things. However, also due to my mount not powering on for a while. It's still acting up. No response from Orion for a few weeks, so who knows if it will get fixed. It may be time for a new mount. Sigh. Always something right? Seeing was terrible today. It did not support my image scale, so this is lower resolution and I couldn't even attempt anything in 540nm~393nm at all with this image scale. I was lucky the mount even powered on, so I took what I could. Lots of great activity on limb today near the two AR's that will leave our sight soon. I had hoped that the huge filament would have stayed put on the limb longer, but I was clouded out yesterday to even view it. Still, lovely quadrant to stare at if you have the sky for it. Seeing was somewhere jumping from 1.1 to 1.8 arc-seconds, so today was lucky imaging for sure, with spikes easily over 4 arc-seconds, a total smear. Totally clear sky but very cold with a high temp delta from morning to mid day, usually always has bad seeing for me on these type days with high pressure systems, despite the clear sky.

Natural & False Colored:

51712389317_bda242db52_b.jpg

51713443593_96580c346d_b.jpg

Negatives:

51713840824_bc80dd51ec_b.jpg

51713179941_84a609256b_b.jpg

Equipment:

150mm F8 Refractor + Aries full aperture D-ERF in holding cell + Baader Red CCD-IR Block 2nd DERF in focuser chamber + HA etalon + 12mm BF + IMX290 sensor

Solarsetup_11292021.jpg

Very best,

• BYoesle, johncandy, peterm and 15 others like this

#2 BYoesle

BYoesle

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Washington USA

Posted 29 November 2021 - 11:35 AM

Hi Marty,

Great images. waytogo.gif

I would seriously consider getting a Losmandy G-11. It's a workhorse and the mechanical quality would be significantly improved. They go for about $1500 - $2000 used with the basic drive system, and can be accessorized to the hilt.

Edited by BYoesle, 29 November 2021 - 11:35 AM.

• MalVeauX likes this

#3 MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Cosmos

• topic starter

Posted 29 November 2021 - 11:40 AM

Hi Marty,

Great images. waytogo.gif

I would seriously consider getting a Losmandy G-11. It's a workhorse and the mechanical quality would be significantly improved. They go for about $1500 - $2000 used with the basic drive system, and can be accessorized to the hilt.

Thanks Bob; I'm frugal by nature but I think its time to pony up onto something with service, support & parts here in the USA as I don't see the supply chain issues correcting any time soon. I am indeed looking at Losmandy right now. I'm thinking about perhaps the G11T to permanently mount in the observatory. I can't afford the AP, SB, etc stuff in that $9~11k range at the moment, but I can do half that for a 10~20 year mount with support, at least, I'm trying to convince myself of that. Rather than something like a CEM70 with questionable support after 5 years if it's not discontinued, etc. So yea, thinking of companies that support 20 year old mounts like Losmandy, AP, etc. But Losmandy seems to be more appropriate for my budget and the support and service I'm looking for locally.

Very best,

• BYoesle and torsinadoc like this

#4 astro rocketeer

astro rocketeer

Viking 1

• Loc: Valencia, CA (Los Angeles)

Posted 29 November 2021 - 11:42 AM

Excellent capture set Marty! Sorry to hear about your mount! Hope you get it fixed soon! Thanks for the share!

• MalVeauX likes this

#5 MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Cosmos

• topic starter

Posted 29 November 2021 - 11:48 AM

Excellent capture set Marty! Sorry to hear about your mount! Hope you get it fixed soon! Thanks for the share!

It is frustrating for sure, it died 2 years ago and had to be sent in for service. It was out of warranty. But Orion took shipment and serviced it, pretty quickly, and it wasn't expensive to fix at all (maybe $65 to ship and $110 for the parts and service?). Been great ever since then. But a few weeks ago it stopped powering on again. I've checked all the things I can and tried alternates, etc. It just sometimes comes on, sometimes doesn't. I've had this mount for years now, so I've gotten my money out of it for sure. And I've vastly outgrown it in terms of my imaging payloads. I'm tired of swapping scopes constantly. So I think this next mount, whichever I end up with, will have to be capable of holding 65~70lbs comfortably for lucky imaging (not DSO imaging weight) but my focus will also be on service & support locally. I've not even received a reply from Orion for several weeks now, so I assume they are just not going to be able to do service, may not even have parts, and if they do it's going to be an eternity waiting, just like almost everything else out there currently with the COVID influenced shipping and supply chain issues.

Very best,

#6 MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Cosmos

• topic starter

Posted 29 November 2021 - 12:00 PM

Side note,

If anyone is curious, I have some updated real world data on CPU architecture and memory with respect to pre-processing speed in PIPP & AS!3 (single core performance is always best in these, they do not scale well on multiple cores):

https://www.cloudyni...cal/?p=11526243

Screenshots of the timing of using AS!3 for all pre-processing and PIPP + AS!3 for faster pre-processing:

https://www.cloudyni...cal/?p=11527736

I updated the comparison to branch into Zen 3 processors in the above.

And real world from this morning, I used the Ryzen 5600G (APU) on AM4 B450 chipset to cull 117Gb of data down to approximately 9Gb of data (keeping best 400 frames on each 10Gb 5k frame video x 17 videos roughly, one was cut short so its not a full 5k x 17), which then copies out of my observatory to my home workstation in under 20 seconds. AS!3 then processes these 400 frames SERs in under 25 seconds each, so my pre-processing time is cut down significantly, saving me around 22% more time over a Zen 2 processor on the same system.

PIPP_117Gb_to_9Gb_01.jpg

Very best,

Edited by MalVeauX, 29 November 2021 - 12:02 PM.

• BYoesle and torsinadoc like this

#7 hopskipson

hopskipson

Soyuz

• Loc: Queens, New Yawk, Light pollution Headquarters!

Posted 29 November 2021 - 06:01 PM

Nice images, Marty!

Good luck with the mount.  It sounds like a loose connection.

• MalVeauX likes this

#8 MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Cosmos

• topic starter

Posted 29 November 2021 - 07:40 PM

Nice images, Marty!

Good luck with the mount.  It sounds like a loose connection.

I wish it were just a loose connection! Everything I can access is secure. Maybe I should open up the mount? I'm sure it's nasty in there! Years in an observatory lol.

Very best,

#9 hopskipson

hopskipson

Soyuz

• Loc: Queens, New Yawk, Light pollution Headquarters!

Posted 29 November 2021 - 08:32 PM

I wish it were just a loose connection! Everything I can access is secure. Maybe I should open up the mount? I'm sure it's nasty in there! Years in an observatory lol.

Very best,

I did a hypertune on my mount about 2 years ago. You get to disassemble the 2 axes and polish the bearings.  It came with 2 instructional DVD's.  It really got me to know my mount.  I didn't get into the electronics but I'm sure you could Youtube it.

• MalVeauX likes this

#10 peterm

peterm

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia

Posted 29 November 2021 - 09:29 PM

Thanks for posting Marty, always nice to see your work. Especially having had cloud/rain/storms now since 15th November... so much for Sunny Queensland in OZ.

• MalVeauX and hamers like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics