•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Ioptron CEM40 EC dovetail

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 IKW

IKW

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 29 November 2021 - 12:56 PM

I've searched the mount section to see if anyone else had to switch from vixen to losmandy dovetail which this mount is  suppose to be switchable. Read and reread the instructions on how to, got the block out to see if I can flip to losmandy side as instructed, do I have to unplug the wires since they are quite short? I can't get the picture of how to do it through my thick head and thank you all in advance for any help.

#2 PaulE54

PaulE54

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: NW England

Posted 30 November 2021 - 03:49 AM

You don't have to touch the wires at all. Have a look on pages 16 and 17 of the manual, where this is explained - "step 7 - install telescope". On one side of the mount "saddle" are the two blocks with knobs that you tighten to lock the vixen rail on your scope. On the other side is a single long matching block which is fixed in place with hex screws. You take all of these blocks off, and turn them through 180 degrees, and put them back. Presto, you now have a mount which takes losmandy rails. Be careful not to lose the spring which is inside each of the the adjustable blocks.

Note the need to make sure that both sets of blocks are an equal distance from the centreline of the mount saddle when the blocks are tightened and the scope is in place on the mount. If the scope is "offset" with respect to the mount dec axis centreline, you will have increased problems in balancing it.  Have a good look at how the blocks are in place before you start and make sure they are equally secure, just "flipped" as the manual describes it, after you have finished. You need these blocks to be absolutely secure, as they are the only thing holding your scope to your mount!

Hope this helps, let me know if you need more.

Clear skies!

Paul

• Michael Covington, steveincolo, OldManSky and 1 other like this

#3 PaulE54

PaulE54

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 30 November 2021 - 03:55 AM

Actually one final (and crucial) point when "flipping" the long block - note you need to swap the M6 x 20mm screws which are installed for the vixen setup for the spare M6 x 25mm screws which are in the saddle top plate, and needed for the losmandy setup - see the diagram on page 16 of the manual. 

Paul

• Michael Covington, OldManSky and IKW like this

#4 IKW

IKW

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 30 November 2021 - 08:50 AM

Thank you,Paul! I will follow your directions immediately even though I got frustrated and ordered a V to D adapter. 

• PaulE54 likes this

#5 IKW

IKW

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 01 December 2021 - 10:24 AM

Mystery solved by iOptron tech support! They’ve sent me the latest manual indicating the saddle is able to accept V&D without flipping. If anyone interested in the latest manual, here’s the updated version.

https://www.ioptron...._CEM40_QSG.pdf 

• Michael Covington likes this

#6 OldManSky

OldManSky

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Valley Center, CA USA

Posted 01 December 2021 - 12:38 PM

Mystery solved by iOptron tech support! They’ve sent me the latest manual indicating the saddle is able to accept V&D without flipping. If anyone interested in the latest manual, here’s the updated version.

https://www.ioptron...._CEM40_QSG.pdf 

Problem with the link above.  Here's a fixed link:

https://www.ioptron....0_CEM40_QSG.pdf

• IKW likes this

#7 IKW

IKW

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 01 December 2021 - 01:53 PM

Thank you,Paul! I should have checked the link.

#8 PaulE54

PaulE54

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 01 December 2021 - 02:12 PM

Glad you got to the bottom of it, that saddle is a totally different design to the one on my older CEM40. Which is currently outside as I take advantage of a very rare clear night. :-) 

Clear skies

Paul

#9 IKW

IKW

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 01 December 2021 - 04:58 PM

I got this mount last week and Askar FRA500 (Losmandy dovetail) is arriving tomorrow, hence my panic. ASIAir plus is still somewhere in the Pacific Ocean but I'll use my ASIAir pro, got the new EAF 5V, it looks simpler to attach it than on my ES 80ED. After putting it together, I have to see if there's a need for a reducer but read somewhere with L-extreme there's no need. I also bought a ZWO ASI2600MC Pro from a CN member, it's going to be a learning curve after ASI294MC pro. So excited! 

Clear skies to all!

Inci

#10 Michael Covington

Michael Covington

Author

• Loc: Athens, Georgia, USA

Posted 01 December 2021 - 10:00 PM

The CEM40 and GEM45 have been through so many minor design changes that it confuses us all.  My GEM45, earlier serial number, has a switchable dovetail like people were describing.  The current GEM45 is like your CEM40 -- accepts both dovetails without reconfiguring anything.  I don't think the new saddle fits the old mount because it has different wires in it, or I'd see if they'd sell me one!

• PaulE54 and IKW like this

#11 PaulE54

PaulE54

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 02 December 2021 - 03:57 AM

I was just thinking exactly the same thing Michael :-). I wonder if the fixed and locking blocks can be swapped from old saddle design to new?

Paul

#12 Michael Covington

Michael Covington

Author

Posted 02 December 2021 - 06:02 PM

There may be one that actually has the same wires in it. (The non-guidescope version.)  Hmmm...

#13 PaulE54

PaulE54

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 03 December 2021 - 03:35 AM

Hi Michael. 

Hmm, the thread is drifting slightly off topic, but since it's still "CEM40 saddle" related, even though the OPs question appears resolved, lets run with it. 

I'll drop an email to iOptron and see if I get any response on swapping "new design parts" for old. If I do get a response I will post it here.

My actual issue, and the reason I'm interested in an improved design, is that with my "original design" CEM40, I use a Vixen dovetail on my RC6.

The locking blocks, when cranked up tight (and I always use an allen key to tighten them) tilt on the machine screws holding them, so that the underneath (Losmandy) side is closer towards the saddle centreline than the upper (Vixen) side.

This has two bad effects - firstly, it means the vixen locking blocks are not contacting the vixen dovetail evenly across what should be mating surfaces, and secondly, it means that the screw threads bind on the holes through the blocks (since the blocks are tilted) and hence the blocks do not loosen when the machine screw are slackened off. Cue telescope stuck on mount saddle and much swearing when attempting to pack things away.  

Having typed this I think I need some pictures to illustrate them email I'm going to send. Searches for macro lens....

Paul

#14 Michael Covington

Michael Covington

Author

Posted 03 December 2021 - 09:36 AM

Thanks. As some may not realize, many parts, including all the electronics, are the same in the CEM40 and GEM45.  I'm not sure if the saddle is.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics