•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Cross shaped stars in image

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Vikr

Vikr

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 29 November 2021 - 01:00 PM

Hi everyone, I am just beginning to start astrophotography. Recently I tested out my equipment and I have a couple of questions.

Firstly, I use a Nikon D90, Skywatcher 130 PDS and an EQM 35 pro mount as my setup.

I decided to point my telescope at the Double Cluster last night just to see if everything was working properly.

I took 50 or so 10 second subs at ISO 800. However, upon examining the photos I noticed there are cross shaped stars in the image, mainly towards the fringes. I have attached a close up of the bottom right part of one 10 second sub. Is this an issue with tracking or vibrations, or perhaps an issue with collimation? problem.jpg

Another question: when I tried processing the image in GIMP, I noticed a discernible darker ring around the fringes of the stacked image. Is this coma and should I invest in a coma corrector or can I correct in GIMP?

Thanks everybody for your help!

#2 astrokeith

astrokeith

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Surrey, UK

Posted 29 November 2021 - 01:11 PM

Looks like simple (very) bad collimation.

How are you doing your collimation, and do you star test afterwards?

#3 Vikr

Vikr

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 29 November 2021 - 02:27 PM

Looks like simple (very) bad collimation.

How are you doing your collimation, and do you star test afterwards?

Hi Keith,

Thanks for the quick reply. I am doing my collimation using the collimation option AstroPhotography tool. Thanks for pointing this out, I was unsure as to whether this was collimation so I will try to recollimate. I neglected to do a star test this time.

Best,

Vikram

#4 mayhem13

mayhem13

Viking 1

• Loc: New Jersey

Posted 29 November 2021 - 09:40 PM

That’s Coma……and absolutely normal for a Newtonian. You’ll need a Coma corrector to continue in astrophotography……but be advised, a quality coma corrector costs more than your scope…..you may want to start with replacing the scope instead with a wide field doublet or triplet refractor since your just starting out…..less to worry about when imaging….where there’s literally everything to worry about! Lol

#5 DivisionByZero

DivisionByZero

Viking 1

• Loc: New Mexico

Posted 29 November 2021 - 10:13 PM

That does look like coma. My recent astrobin images are largely uncropped and you can compare with my corners (coma corrector is on my wish list). The thing about coma is that it can help you check collimation. Make sure all the tails point to the image center and you have it!

#6 Kevin_A

Kevin_A

Viking 1

• Loc: Belmont, Ontario Canada

Posted 29 November 2021 - 11:04 PM

Coma.

#7 michael8554

michael8554

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Wiltshire UK

Posted 30 November 2021 - 08:40 AM

Coma is usually only seen at the edges of the images, yours is also in the centre of the image.

So this is Coma caused by poor Collimation.

If after a good Collimation you still see Coma at the edges, then you will need a Coma Corrector.

These star shapes are often called "seagulls" or "teardrop shaped"

#8 alphatripleplus

alphatripleplus

World Controller

• Moderators
  • Loc: Georgia

Posted 30 November 2021 - 09:10 AM

Coma is usually only seen at the edges of the images, yours is also in the centre of the image.

I think the OP mentioned that the image shown is just a close-up of the lower right part of the field of view. If it looks like that at the centre of the field of view too, it's probably poor collimation.

• michael8554 and mayhem13 like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics