•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Canon T7 - 35-50mm lens - Ekos - auto-focus?

DSLR Equipment
  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 LGTrader

LGTrader

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Tucson, AZ

Posted 29 November 2021 - 06:35 PM

I recently built up a Raspberry Pi 4 with Stellarmate for use with my minimalist AZ-GTi and a Canon T7 setup. In general the whole setup works about as advertised with the exception that the auto-focus feature in Ekos doesn't do anything with the focus on my Canon lens.

Does anyone have experience with this sort of minimal setup? Is this a problem with my specific lens or a problem overall with Canon DSLRs, or all DSLRs in general? 

When using the camera by hand with the lens in AF mode the camera will auto-focus as expected for daytime photography, and I do hear the motor in the lens during focus, but with Ekos I never hear the motor.

Any info greatly appreciated.

Thanks

#2 michael8554

michael8554

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Wiltshire UK

Posted 30 November 2021 - 07:57 AM

Could be that the EKOS Focus Routine is for dedicated ASCOM-driven telescope focusers, not Canon lenses ?

#3 LGTrader

LGTrader

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Tucson, AZ

Posted 30 November 2021 - 01:47 PM

With some guidance and clues from Jesem I am able to run live video and focus remotely by hand. StellarMate/Ekos has a mode where I can run the video 10x, so similar to being in zoom mode on the camera itself, and then I can hand focus from inside the house so this is a big step forward.

With the Ekos Auto-Focus feature I seem to crash the Canon driver and have to do a restart so I won't be using that for awhile yet.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: DSLR, Equipment

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics