•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Did my ASIAir Pro microSD card get fried?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 mannys

mannys

Vostok 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: San Francisco Bay Area

Posted 29 November 2021 - 06:42 PM

I took out the microSD card from my ZWO ASIAir Pro, and put it into a reader so I can back up the card. I noticed that the microSD card got quite hot while in the reader for whatever reason, so I immediately took out the microSD card from the reader. I inserted the microSD card back into the ASIAir Pro. I turned on the unit. But now the ASIAir does not work.  The green CARD light blinks four times, stops, then blinks again indicating a problem with the card. The red WiFi light does not turn on. 

Did the heat erase the card?

Do I need to restore the microSD card? Any other way to fix? Help!

Edited by mannys, 29 November 2021 - 07:04 PM.

#2 Delta608

Delta608

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Tampa Bay Florida

Posted 29 November 2021 - 07:44 PM

Curious the reader connected to a Mac or PC..?

#3 mannys

mannys

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 29 November 2021 - 07:49 PM

Curious the reader connected to a Mac or PC

The card reader was connected to a MacBook Pro.

#4 Jay6879

Jay6879

Messenger

Posted 29 November 2021 - 08:27 PM

I took out the microSD card from my ZWO ASIAir Pro, and put it into a reader so I can back up the card. I noticed that the microSD card got quite hot while in the reader for whatever reason, so I immediately took out the microSD card from the reader. I inserted the microSD card back into the ASIAir Pro. I turned on the unit. But now the ASIAir does not work.  The green CARD light blinks four times, stops, then blinks again indicating a problem with the card. The red WiFi light does not turn on. 

Did the heat erase the card?

Do I need to restore the microSD card? Any other way to fix? Help!

Did you make a backup of the os? Format the card and put the backup on, the card may still be ok it sounds like it may have been corrupted.

Edited by Jay6879, 29 November 2021 - 08:29 PM.

#5 mannys

mannys

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 29 November 2021 - 08:41 PM

Did you make a backup of the os? Format the card and put the backup on, the card may still be ok it sounds like it may have been corrupted.

Unfortunately, I did not make a backup, been meaning to but did not get around to it :-(

#6 Delta608

Delta608

Surveyor 1

Posted 29 November 2021 - 09:37 PM

The card reader was connected to a MacBook Pro.

Something similar had happened to me with my MacBook Pro as well...Unlike Windows, and Im sure you already know, but Mac's have to eject prior to actually pulling the card or it can get corrupted..If you need to redo another card and need the contents let me know...(Im pretty sure ZWO also provide it, Ive seen it online, somewhere...!!)

Try this...https://astronomy-im...e_ASIAIR_OS.pdf

Edited by Delta608, 29 November 2021 - 09:39 PM.

• mannys likes this

#7 mannys

mannys

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 30 November 2021 - 12:37 AM

Something similar had happened to me with my MacBook Pro as well...Unlike Windows, and Im sure you already know, but Mac's have to eject prior to actually pulling the card or it can get corrupted..If you need to redo another card and need the contents let me know...(Im pretty sure ZWO also provide it, Ive seen it online, somewhere...!!)

Try this...https://astronomy-im...e_ASIAIR_OS.pdf

Thanks Delta608. I'll try as instructed on the link. But knowing me, I'll most probably mess it up. I might need your help :-) There's a star party I'd like to attend this coming Saturday, so I need to get this issue resolved quickly.

Btw, what's even weird is that I imaged last night, but when I opened up the SanDisk storage card provided along with the ASIAir, there were no saved files. Yet the mobile app showed things running smoothly. Where did those files go? Was the microSD already corrupted last night, which is why no files got saved? Using ZWO sometimes feels like I'm in the middle of a detective story.

Edited by mannys, 30 November 2021 - 12:47 AM.

#8 forecastsaysno

forecastsaysno

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 30 November 2021 - 06:30 AM

The AAP has an option to save images to either USB or the SD card. Could it be that you inadvertently selected the latter?

FWIW I was unable to boot from any backups I made of the original SD card. The plan was to have a backup SD ready to go in case the original failed in the field. I discovered that my AAP simply would't boot from the backup despite all indications that the backup had been made successfully. Experiences may differ.

Long story short I had to create the backup SD using a download from the ZWO website (linked by Delta608).

It's a 6.8 Gb download.

Edited by forecastsaysno, 30 November 2021 - 06:59 AM.

• mannys likes this

#9 Delta608

Delta608

Surveyor 1

Posted 30 November 2021 - 07:32 AM

Like forecastsaysno says,they are probably on the USB stick..Let us know...

#10 matt_astro_tx

matt_astro_tx

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Dallas, Texas

Posted 30 November 2021 - 08:49 AM

With the latest update to the ASIAir firmware, it now defaults to writing files to the SD card and NOT the USB stick as it did before the update.  Grumble, grumble.  Since you corrupted your SD card, I'm willing to bet last night's data is lost.

That being said, restoring the firmware onto the card is pretty straightforward if you follow the directions.  You shouldn't have any problems.

And regarding the heat, don't worry about it.  Even my USB thumbdrive gets crazy hot in my Mac when running at USB3 speeds.

• mannys likes this

#11 Oort Cloud

Oort Cloud

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: New Jersey, USA

Posted 30 November 2021 - 12:04 PM

Toss that junk card that comes with it. Replace with Samsung Endurance card. Best $8 you'll ever spend.

#12 matt_astro_tx

matt_astro_tx

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 30 November 2021 - 02:54 PM

That's what I did.  Still have the old one as a backup though.

#13 mannys

mannys

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 30 November 2021 - 06:40 PM

I started trying to restore the firmware from the link that Delta608 provided. Ran into the problem of not having enough disk space on a 32GB microSD. Now I have to get another one, 64GB. Such a hassle. Why would the original ASIAir microSD fail as it's just been on the ASIAir all this time? Grumble, grumble, as matt_astro_tx would say.

#14 Oort Cloud

Oort Cloud

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: New Jersey, USA

Posted 30 November 2021 - 09:30 PM

All it took to fry the one that came with mine was to record a few quick videos to it accidentally. I've used it for video plenty after replacing it with the Samsung card.
  • mannys likes this

#15 Delta608

Delta608

Surveyor 1

Posted 30 November 2021 - 09:38 PM

I started trying to restore the firmware from the link that Delta608 provided. Ran into the problem of not having enough disk space on a 32GB microSD. Now I have to get another one, 64GB. Such a hassle. Why would the original ASIAir microSD fail as it's just been on the ASIAir all this time? Grumble, grumble, as matt_astro_tx would say.

Yea, crap happens..Your well on your way to recovery..!!

• mannys likes this

#16 matt_astro_tx

matt_astro_tx

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 01 December 2021 - 04:39 AM

That's strange.  I was able to perform a firmware restore on the original card without issue.  You must have corrupted a portion of it.  Sorry for your luck.

#17 mannys

mannys

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 01 December 2021 - 10:19 PM

Success! Got it restored. Thanks fellas!

• Oort Cloud likes this

#18 matt_astro_tx

matt_astro_tx

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 02 December 2021 - 05:48 AM

Awesome!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics