•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Tilt adjustment on ZWO ASI071mc worth the effort?

Astrophotography CMOS Equipment Imaging
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 rawhead909

rawhead909

Explorer 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Albuquerque, NM

Posted 29 November 2021 - 09:22 PM

Hi,

Just upgraded from a ZWO ASI294mc to a 071mc, and while I'm enjoying the larger APS-C format, I'm noticing what appears to be tilt (which I did not notice with the 294mc).

As you can see, the left edge seems to be too far, while the center and right edge look fine, which suggests it's a tilt in the horizontal direction. 

I'd noticed that the 071mc comes with tilt adjustment screws. The question is, have any of you tried using these screws to adjust tilt and more importantly, do you think the amount of tilt is worth the trouble to fix?  I can easily imagine myself spending 5 frustrating hours adjusting the screws to end up at a worse place than I'd started.  

I do have computers (laptop, NUC clone), ASIAir Pro, NINA, sharpcap, bhatinov masks, etc., to help with checking focus.

Thanks!

Attached Thumbnails

• M33-RGB-session_1-St 2.jpg

#2 dswtan

dswtan

Apollo

• Loc: Morgan Hill, CA

Posted 29 November 2021 - 10:05 PM

I just live with tilt, since I know that as soon as I rotate anything for framing, it is just going to go out again. 

My tilt is *way* worse than yours. I dream of tilt like yours. I can't even see yours (at the scale you're showing). And that's on my 4:3 sensors (294, 1600). On my 071, I just crop. So yes, that's why I hardly use the 071. :-)

But if it bothers you, then you answer your own question? I fear the same as you: 5 frustrating hours adjusting the screws to end up at a worse place than I'd started. I'd rather be taking pics. Different folks have way different tolerances for tilt. 

Food for thought: this won an astro competition last year... Does your audience care about tilt?

https://astronomy.co...0-1B227FB4B01D}

• rawhead909 likes this

#3 rawhead909

rawhead909

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 29 November 2021 - 10:14 PM

Food for thought: this won an astro competition last year... Does your audience care about tilt?

https://astronomy.co...0-1B227FB4B01D}

LOL, yeah, as a matter of fact, I'm intending to recreate this photo (with a physical tilt adapter) for **** and giggles.

I do have a 'shopped version I made.

And yeah, I agree that the photographer (and their colleagues) are usually the only ones worried about tilt and other aberrations.  But so long as this hobby is, for the most part, for personal satisfaction, that is probably the appropriate judge.  I guess a part of what I wanted to confirm was whether this level of tilt is securely within the tolerance level of other astrophotographers :)

Attached Thumbnails

• JPEG image-50520AB5405A-1 2.jpg

#4 ChrisWhite

ChrisWhite

Cosmos

• Loc: Northeast USA

Posted 29 November 2021 - 11:41 PM

Another satisfied ZWO customer.

It might be a tilted sensor or something else. Is this the exact same setup you used with your 294 and did not have tilt?

You can certainly use the tilt plate, it's a bit of a clumsy process but it will work, and if you get it dialed in it will hold fine for rotating.
  • rawhead909 likes this

#5 rawhead909

rawhead909

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 30 November 2021 - 12:38 AM

Another satisfied ZWO customer.

It might be a tilted sensor or something else. Is this the exact same setup you used with your 294 and did not have tilt?

Yup. Literally unscrewed the 294mc and screwed in the 071mc in its place.  I only have screw-ins in my optical train so if this is a tilt elsewhere, it would be something structural in the scope (Esprit 100ED), I guess?

#6 ChrisWhite

ChrisWhite

Cosmos

• Loc: Northeast USA

Posted 30 November 2021 - 07:04 AM

Yup. Literally unscrewed the 294mc and screwed in the 071mc in its place. I only have screw-ins in my optical train so if this is a tilt elsewhere, it would be something structural in the scope (Esprit 100ED), I guess?

Even though the 294 is a smaller chip, it has smaller pixels so tilt in your optical train would likely be evident in that camera as well.

My advice is to pay attention to your return window and if you can't easily fix the tilt issue (or can at least confirm its the sensor) return it to the vendor. Zwo has a major quality control problem that they need to address. I know you said you like your asiair in another thread, but this marriage may also require you to keep throwing good money at a bad investment. There are other ways to achieve the same goal you have. Until the user base holds zwo accountable for their quality control issues... they will continue to deliver problem Products. I might sound like a broken record here on the forum about this issue, but it's extremely frustrating to have personally contacted zwo many times about QC and to see daily posts about other people having QC problems with zwo products and to have zwo literally do nothing about it or even worse, pretend they don't exist.
  • rawhead909, rockstarbill and tkottary like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Astrophotography, CMOS, Equipment, Imaging

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics