•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Vixen and Explore Scientific

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Nippon

Nippon

Aurora

• topic starter
  • Loc: Central Florida

Posted 30 November 2021 - 07:33 AM

Last I heard Explore Scientific expected to have Vixen equipment in stock in October but I don't see any and it's the end of November. Anyone have an update on this?

• Castor likes this

#2 teashea

teashea

Gemini

• Loc: Lincoln, Nebraska, USA

Posted 30 November 2021 - 09:19 PM

That was an absurd and ridiculous projection that they made.  I have great doubts about ES and how they will perform as the new distributor.  

#3 900SL

900SL

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 01 December 2021 - 11:09 PM

Why not drop ES a line of enquiry?

#4 scopeboy42

scopeboy42

Viking 1

• Loc: Raleigh, NC USA

Posted 02 December 2021 - 07:57 AM

Why not drop ES a line of enquiry?

I asked last month and this is the answer I received on November 16:

"We just recently acquired Vixen, We are slowly getting inventory (mostly a few  parts). We will have items on our web page once we are up and running."

Edited by scopeboy42, 02 December 2021 - 07:57 AM.

• teashea likes this

#5 teashea

teashea

Gemini

Posted 02 December 2021 - 07:44 PM

I asked last month and this is the answer I received on November 16:

"We just recently acquired Vixen, We are slowly getting inventory (mostly a few  parts). We will have items on our web page once we are up and running."

That means that it is a complete mess

#6 timmyt101

timmyt101

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: AZ

Posted 06 December 2021 - 09:51 PM

I was told by ES Customer Service (today, 12/6/21) that they expect the majority of scopes & mounts to begin showing up in March/April 2022.

Wish I could read/understand Japanese and order from here www.kyoei-osaka.jp

Google translate doesn't quite cut it.

Edited by timmyt101, 06 December 2021 - 09:54 PM.

• Castor likes this

#7 sctchun

sctchun

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: In the Middle of the Sea

Posted 07 December 2021 - 05:21 PM

Under Kyoei's FAQ, it says to email them.

shopmaster@kyoei-osaka.jp (got this from the email link)

I had the chance to visit the shop when I was in Osaka, it's a bit small, but jammed packed with stuff.  It was like going to a candy store.

Steven

• 900SL likes this

#8 GOLGO13

GOLGO13

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: West Virginia

Posted 07 December 2021 - 07:04 PM

Yall realize the entire global shipping industry is backlogged affecting just about every company.

Cut them some slack for now. We are not in normal times.
  • Bowmoreman, gnowellsct and Wilsil like this

#9 teashea

teashea

Gemini

Posted 07 December 2021 - 09:46 PM

I was told by ES Customer Service (today, 12/6/21) that they expect the majority of scopes & mounts to begin showing up in March/April 2022.

They previously said that they would have them last October.  They have no credibility.  

#10 Bowmoreman

Bowmoreman

Clear enough skies

• Loc: Wimberley, TX

Posted 08 December 2021 - 05:25 PM

They previously said that they would have them last October.  They have no credibility.  

I think what Golgol13 said immediately above is fully in order, and that your statement is a bit harsh given the global situation. My son has been waiting 5 weeks for his IOE with SkyWest Airlines (last final step before he’s online as a pilot), getting paid the entire time. And had to wait 2 months for simulator time at the step before that, also getting paid. Because #SupplyChain (they couldn’t get critical simulator parts and so were bottlenecked). Every global vendor is having these issues.

I would suggest putting blame *elsewhere*, I will not go into politics on this. The global supply chain is verklempt, this is not Vixen’s, nor ES’s fault.

We need to give all Vendors a little grace right now until the prove un-worthy. Having this happen simultaneous with a company acquisition I can only imagine the complexities (I’ve previously sold my own company; many have no idea the hurdles and hassles).

Manufacturers just have NO idea of end-to-end flow-timing.

• Jaimo!, KevH and PatrickVt like this

#11 rsalva1

rsalva1

Sputnik

Posted 08 December 2021 - 06:41 PM

I have ordered from Kyoei and found them really good. They are my goto for Takahashi and Vixen items. Much faster delivery than Cyclops. Recently ordered a Vixen reducer over the weekend, arrived in Texas by Wednesday. 

• teashea likes this

#12 rsalva1

rsalva1

Sputnik

Posted 08 December 2021 - 06:46 PM

Forgot to mention, Sun East is also good. Similar to Kyoei, you need to email them. If you don't see it in their website, I usually just ask.

http://www.tan14.com.hk/suneast/

• mtminnesota and teashea like this

#13 skyler

skyler

Surveyor 1

• Loc: TGPNW

Posted 09 December 2021 - 10:15 PM

I just in the past month ordered a Kyoei special dual head Vixen AP mount and the carry case that goes with the mount. The Osaka location was my choice and Mr. Sakabe (the GM) was great. I had some problems with using WISE since I had to have all the correct banking information but finally got that straightened out after a number of tries.  They do accept PayPal and can invoice you that way.  No CC accepted for intl. orders. Communication was strictly via email although I did try to call a couple times but my particular cell program did not let me make that intl. call without an upgrade $$.. Shipping was fairly fast via DHL and arrived within a week.

Overall, extremely pleased and saved some dollars too even after paying a customs tariff.

I posted a photo in the mount section for Vixen AP mounts.

Yes, I can reaffirm the timeline being sometime 1st quarter at the earliest for ES to be in full swing to service Vixen products. I called and spoke with them a few weeks ago and heard the same as what has been mentioned above.

Skyler

Edited by skyler, 09 December 2021 - 10:16 PM.

• Castor, eros312 and teashea like this

#14 gnowellsct

gnowellsct

James Webb Space Telescope

Posted 09 December 2021 - 10:26 PM

I've used Vixen stuff for years and in my book they have a great deal of credibility.   They are taking a double hit.  Their North American distributor retired and now it's impossible to move inventory.  It's not like they want not to sell to customers, it's that they can't.  Vixen is not big enough to rent their own boat and ship the product across.  And if they could they might be put at anchor for 90 days.

• Bowmoreman and teashea like this

#15 Jason B

Jason B

Fox Park Observatory

• Loc: Lansing, MI Area

Posted 10 December 2021 - 12:16 PM

I'm just glad we have a Vixen distributor here in the US.  Scott and ES will get it right, just need to deal with this crazy situation the world is in now and that will take time.  In my job in the restaurant world, supply chain has been our number one problem. Taking on distribution of a new brand for ES and a new distributor for Vixen in this crazy time has to be a nightmare.

• Bowmoreman, Castor and Nippon like this

#16 teashea

teashea

Gemini

Posted 10 December 2021 - 10:06 PM

I've used Vixen stuff for years and in my book they have a great deal of credibility.   They are taking a double hit.  Their North American distributor retired and now it's impossible to move inventory.  It's not like they want not to sell to customers, it's that they can't.  Vixen is not big enough to rent their own boat and ship the product across.  And if they could they might be put at anchor for 90 days.

I have thirteen Vixen mounts and they are all excellent.  Vixen has credibility.  ES?  not so much.  We shall see how they do.  So far they rate nothing but a fail.

Some of my Vixen mounts.

244418312_10222945175632262_4470159618256399247_n.jpg

• rsalva1 likes this

#17 dnrmilspec

dnrmilspec

Viking 1

• Loc: Southern Arizona

Posted 10 December 2021 - 10:57 PM

Not to defend anyone but shipping these days really is a huge problem.  Not only is it frequently unreliable it is hugely expensive.  A vendor has two real choices for large shipments.  Ocean freight which is just a mess now and very slow and air freight.  Air freight rates have skyrocketed.  To give an example, I manufacture a particular thing in China that weighs 1.7 ounces.  Shipping 400 of these items (42.5 pounds) by air freight saver to me the other day cost $310.00.  And that only because I have a great rate from shipping a lot of stuff.

Care to guess how much it would cost to ship a refractor air freight?

So if you buy a 40' container of Vixen stuff (and that is a WHOLE lot of it) the container will cost as much as $20,000.00 and with current conditions, he said, warming to his subject, consider this also:

Transit time for ocean freight to the US from Japan (as an example) is about 11 days.  But.  Add the  customs clearance time and time waiting for consolidation and loading in Japan to the 11 days and you have 20-28 days before the shipment hits the port of Los Angeles.  Then it waits to unload.  Right now, your guess is as good as mine.  Now we have a container sitting on the dock in LA.  If you bought the whole thing (and I doubt Vixen could fill a container right now) the container can get on a train.  Then it is unloaded.......you get my drift.  It is not beyond reason to imagine that by the time someone ordered a very large shipment of stuff from a factory in Japan or China and had it shipped to the US, the shipping time alone could be as much as 50 days.  Now you can ship LCL ocean freight.  (Less than container load) but it is more expensive and takes longer.   (China ocean prices are less than Japan by the way.)   And then there is production time. 

So we use air freight and it is stupid expensive.  A load of 220 pounds of telescope parts will cost around $2800.00 give or take a little plus any tariffs or duties.  And hope they are not Dobs and have to go by dimensional weight rather than actual weight.  Get that up to 1100 pounds and it is, surprisingly about the same price as 220 pounds.   

Vendors used to be pretty cavalier about shipping.  Free shipping domestically is almost expected these days but it costs a bunch.  That "well I will just overnight it to you" stuff is a thing of the past.  Even with my super volume and affinity rates overnight is still very expensive. 

One more wrinkle.  The inflation rate for last month, released today was .8%.  The highest rate since 1984.  This incentivizes vendors to buy more today while they can afford it but it also incentivizes factories to try to build in substantially more to cover the increased cost of materials when these future orders are to be fulfilled.  So what some do is take a 'no orders except in stock' approach.  They do not set wholesale prices until after production.  It is a delicate balancing act.

So it is saves a lot of angst to understand that vendors are facing a whole new ballgame.  The old models are out of the window and all parties are posturing pretty defensively right about now.

• Bowmoreman, Castor, eros312 and 1 other like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics