•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Alt az on a permanent mount

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jmsikora

jmsikora

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 30 November 2021 - 08:32 AM

I probably should know this but if you put an alt az mount on a permanent pier, do you still have to do an alignment for each observing session? I was reading a blub about a very expensive Planewave mount that was alt az and the advert said that it was the choice of many professional observatories. That had me confused, since it seemed like alignment would be a problem. 

The other reason is that I was considering putting a scope in a location that I only could control remotely and I didn't think that an alt-az mount was an option. Please don't comment on the alt az vs. equatorial issue. That's a whole different issue.

#2 aneeg

aneeg

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Nesodden, Norway

Posted 30 November 2021 - 08:48 AM

I have an iOptron AZMP permanently mounted on a concrete pier. After each session I park the mount in zero/ home position. All I need next time is to switch it on a go to any object without the need of any alignment.

Arne

#3 weis14

weis14

Viking 1

• Loc: Midland, MI

Posted 30 November 2021 - 09:18 AM

It depends on the mount.  Like a GEM, many alt-az mounts can save their current position when they shut down, either by using a park position or by simply remembering where they are.  Of course, for a remote mount, alignment would probably be trivial as a camera would be installed that would typically allow for plate solving.

#4 Xeroid

Xeroid

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: USA

Posted 30 November 2021 - 10:34 AM

I can remotely control my alt-az AZ Mount Pro from in my backyard approx 30 meters using Windows "Remote Desktop Client" to a mini PC at the mount OR

From my Android tablet and SkySafari 6   OR

From my home Linux Mint Desktop using Stellarium & INDI

As Arne mentioned, I too ALWAYS start from the mount "Zero Position" and can easily do a auto or manual alignment....goto's are dead nuts.

Sooooooo many options its making me dizzy..lol.gif

The other reason is that I was considering putting a scope in a location that I only could control remotely and I didn't think that an alt-az mount was an option. 

Edited by Xeroid, 30 November 2021 - 10:35 AM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics