•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Astrotech AT115 reducer/flattener focus problem

Astrophotography Refractor Equipment
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 MikeDz

MikeDz

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 30 November 2021 - 12:18 PM

Help - I purchased the Astrotech 115 triplet with the 0.8reducer/flattener.  Got delivery of the AT115 first, about 1 1/2 months ago and it seems to work fine for Astrophotography.  I used both a Canon 80D, canon 6D, and the ASI183MC cooled camera.  I shot at 805mm.

About 2 weeks ago I finally got the Astrotech 0.8reducer/flattener specific for this Telescope.   I followed the directions, removed the pieces to get to the threaded focus draw tube and screwed in the reducer/flattener.  Several tries indoors and at night with my two DSLRs and the ASI 183 (with adapters to make the required 55mm back focus) results in the focus draw tube going all the way in, to the stop, before focus is reached.  This is very consistant with all three cameras.

Am I doing something wrong?  and suggestions are appreciated.  I have contacted Astronomics and I am waiting to discuss with Mike.  This is very frustrating, since the flattener specifically states the 55mm back focus is required,  I get that with all my cameras. (spacers for the ATI, and a T-ring for the DSLRs)

Thank you

Mike

#2 meansrt

meansrt

Ranger 4

Posted 30 November 2021 - 12:25 PM

If youre correctly meeting the 55mm spacing requirement which it seems like you are then maybe the focuser tube was set too far in during manufacturing? Mine extends about a half inch or so before I reach focus with my 0.8x adapter on my AT115. 

#3 MikeDz

MikeDz

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 30 November 2021 - 01:05 PM

Thanks for the comment Robert.

I want to let everyone know that I got more information from Ken at Astronomics.  He has been patient with my questions and finally sent a photo- that did the trick- the problem was my fault- not the equipment.

I had not removed the entire assembly with both rings that screw into the focuser draw tube.  It was very tight and untill I saw the photo, I did not realize the second ring would come off.  

My thanks to Astronomics for their response, and especially Ken.  The AT115 is great and my results have been excellent.  I am looking forward too using the reducer/flattener- which screws directly into the draw tube.  Unfortunately you do loose the camera rotater with the flattener.

Mike

• tog and meansrt like this

#4 meansrt

meansrt

Ranger 4

Posted 30 November 2021 - 01:44 PM

Well luckily for you you can adjust the camera angle by rotating the entire focusing assembly. Just loosen the big greay screw and you can rotate the focuser to any angle.

• MikeDz likes this

#5 MikeDz

MikeDz

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 30 November 2021 - 02:21 PM

Thanks Robert, good to know.

Still getting to know the telescope

#6 RogeZ

RogeZ

Vanguard

• Loc: Palm Beach Gardens, FL

Posted 30 November 2021 - 10:35 PM

Mike post images of what you were doing wrong to prevent other folks from making the same mistake.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Astrophotography, Refractor, Equipment

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics