•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Stellarium and Mount Not Aligning

Software
  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Heavy Inertia

Heavy Inertia

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 30 November 2021 - 12:34 PM

Hello,

I'm new here and I've had some trouble getting stellarium and my mount to point to the same target.  Everything is hooked up properly, balanced, correct coordinates etc.  I'm using the the HEQ5's polar scope to polar align and then I'll go to slew to any target in stellarium. The software thinks it on target but it's not even close in the OTA. I never had this problem until I switched from using the hand control to using an EQDir cable.  I've tried correcting the misalignment by manually slewing to desired target and then using the Sync button in stellarium but it doesn't correct.  My scope target on screen doesn't move to the target after sync.  Would plate solving help? Maybe letting stellarium use the coordinates it wants instead of mine own? Should I use Carte du seul instead?  I'm at a loss, please any advice is appreciated.  Thanks!

Gear:

HEQ5 pro

Celestron 6se

Orion guide scope and cam

Edited by Heavy Inertia, 30 November 2021 - 01:05 PM.

#2 LuscombeFlyer

LuscombeFlyer

Vostok 1

• Loc: Lakeland, FL

Posted 30 November 2021 - 01:52 PM

I take it that you're using EQMOD?

#3 John O'Grady

John O'Grady

Viking 1

• Loc: Waterloo, ON CAN

Posted 30 November 2021 - 01:54 PM

A couple of things to try, that you maybe have already verified:

- Maybe start with a one star alignment from the hand controller or at the very least or make your mount starts from the home position.

- Is your PC time correct (very important).

- Is your location in Stellarium set correctly (point will not be correct if it is not)

• Heavy Inertia likes this

#4 LuscombeFlyer

LuscombeFlyer

Vostok 1

Posted 30 November 2021 - 02:47 PM

Assuming that you are using EQMOD, here's the procedure I used just last night after performing some maintenance on my HEQ6:

1. Remove the OTA and counterweights from the mount. This may not be necessary, but your mount will be making some unpredictable moves and this eliminates the risk of crashing your scope into a tripod leg.

2. Use the polar scope to get the mount reasonably polar aligned, but no need to be obsessive about it.

3.Make sure the clutches are locked.

4. Launch Stellarium.

5. On the EQMOD console, click on PARK to Home Position. EQMOD will then point the mount to where it thinks the celestial pole is located.

6. Loosen the RA and DEC clutches.

7. Now manually move your mount to approximately the home position; counterweight shaft straight down, and the DEC to as near due north as possible.

8. Lock the clutches

9. Remount your OTA and counterweights.

10. Now command Stellarium to slew to a bright star.

11. Center the star in the eyepiece using the hand controller arrow keys or the “keypad” on the EQMOD console (don’t unlock the clutches and manually move the scope). Once centered, sync Stellarium on the star.

11. Repeat for a couple more objects.

That oughta do it for you. Good luck!

Lee Jarvis

Systems Analyst/Programmer

Publix Super Markets, Inc.

Office  (863) 686-8754, ext. 46824

Mobile  (863) 255-7794

• John O'Grady and Heavy Inertia like this

#5 LuscombeFlyer

LuscombeFlyer

Vostok 1

Posted 30 November 2021 - 02:49 PM

Oops, I forgot to remove my contact info from the email I sent myself! Sorry!

#6 Heavy Inertia

Heavy Inertia

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 30 November 2021 - 03:16 PM

I take it that you're using EQMOD?

Yes I am

#7 Heavy Inertia

Heavy Inertia

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 30 November 2021 - 03:20 PM

Assuming that you are using EQMOD, here's the procedure I used just last night after performing some maintenance on my HEQ6:

1. Remove the OTA and counterweights from the mount. This may not be necessary, but your mount will be making some unpredictable moves and this eliminates the risk of crashing your scope into a tripod leg.

2. Use the polar scope to get the mount reasonably polar aligned, but no need to be obsessive about it.

3.Make sure the clutches are locked.

4. Launch Stellarium.

5. On the EQMOD console, click on PARK to Home Position. EQMOD will then point the mount to where it thinks the celestial pole is located.

6. Loosen the RA and DEC clutches.

7. Now manually move your mount to approximately the home position; counterweight shaft straight down, and the DEC to as near due north as possible.

8. Lock the clutches

9. Remount your OTA and counterweights.

10. Now command Stellarium to slew to a bright star.

11. Center the star in the eyepiece using the hand controller arrow keys or the “keypad” on the EQMOD console (don’t unlock the clutches and manually move the scope). Once centered, sync Stellarium on the star.

11. Repeat for a couple more objects.

That oughta do it for you. Good luck!

Lee Jarvis

Systems Analyst/Programmer

Publix Super Markets, Inc.

Office  (863) 686-8754, ext. 46824

Mobile  (863) 255-7794

This feels like it could help.  I will try it tonight and see what happens.  Thank You

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Software

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics