•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Siril on Mac issues

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 SkyfallerTac

SkyfallerTac

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Central Florida

Posted 30 November 2021 - 01:20 PM

Hello,

Trying to run a free deep sky stacking software on an M1 Mac called 'Siril' which seems to be pretty good. I've no issues with it in windows but in mac its a constant reminder of why one should never buy a mac ;) 

My issue is outright silly: 

I've installed the software. 

I've installed the scripts. 

I've created the working directory with the lights,darks,bias,flat folders as per tutorial videos I've watched. 

All is good. Until I get to the part where I actually have to tell the program which lights to use. 

I click OPEN ... find the folder my lights are in (I even copied the lights to the LIGHTS folder in the working directory!) ..

I see the list of my lights. 

... but I cannot select more than one. There is no option or keyboard shortcut nor mouse click that lets me do it. 

Command+A (of shift+a) doesn't work. 

There is no way to use control or shift and just select multiples. All it does is skip to the next image. 

There is no way to highlight all of them in a mouse-drag box. 

Nothing. 

If I select just one image and open it, the program runs the script in just that one file ... the command line display shows it only processed that one image. 

In windows you select all and it works. Not so in mac. 

Anyone know what's going on?

Also, since I installed Siril the UI of the program itself looks... slightly out of focus. It's very odd. If I open a browser window on top of Siril the browser looks perfect.. but siril in background is off-focus... even if I maximize window size, etc. 

#2 matt_astro_tx

matt_astro_tx

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Dallas, Texas

Posted 30 November 2021 - 01:43 PM

It's a quirk of the program.  "Control+A" will select all within the folder.

Indeed this is the Windows syntax, but it works on the Mac version.  "Command+A" does not work within Siril.

Edited by matt_astro_tx, 30 November 2021 - 01:43 PM.

#3 bobzeq25

bobzeq25

ISS

Posted 30 November 2021 - 01:47 PM

Issues like this are part of why I use Windows.  Mac versions of small company software are often nonexistent or buggy.  They're small companies, Mac expertise tends to be limited.

#4 matt_astro_tx

matt_astro_tx

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 30 November 2021 - 02:06 PM

Regarding the blurriness, the developer said on a separate thread earlier that this is a limitation of the Mac implementation and will not likely get fixed.

#5 lock042

lock042

Siril astronomical image processing software

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 30 November 2021 - 03:08 PM

The real issue here is that one cannot open several files with the open button. It is not a macOS issue.

Siril uses sequence to process files.

• Lead_Weight likes this

#6 SkyfallerTac

SkyfallerTac

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Central Florida

Posted 30 November 2021 - 10:29 PM

The real issue here is that one cannot open several files with the open button. It is not a macOS issue.

Siril uses sequence to process files.

Yes I finally did manage to make it work with sequences. 

It looks to be a program with lots of tools but the UI just needs desperate help. Can't scroll the image when you zoom it and the target is off-screen? aiiih. 

#7 arbit

arbit

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 30 November 2021 - 11:11 PM

You can pan using Ctrl and mouse (Windows).

Some good step by step tutorials here.

https://siril.org/tutorials/

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

#8 lock042

lock042

Siril astronomical image processing software

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 01 December 2021 - 12:35 AM

but the UI just needs desperate help. Can't scroll the image when you zoom it and the target is off-screen? aiiih.

And help exists: https://siril.org/fa...he-opened-image

Edited by lock042, 01 December 2021 - 12:36 AM.

#9 matt_astro_tx

matt_astro_tx

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 01 December 2021 - 04:22 AM

You can pan around the zoomed image using Command+Mouse Click and drag.  I had the same question recently.

#10 oceanoprofondo7

oceanoprofondo7

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 15 January 2022 - 08:13 PM

Which is best programs for Mac? For planets… acquisition, stacking and processing

#11 matt_astro_tx

matt_astro_tx

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 16 January 2022 - 08:16 AM

I use the ASIAir for image acquisition.  Then I stack and process in Siril and GIMP.

#12 skysurfer

skysurfer

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: EU, N 52 E 6

Posted 16 January 2022 - 08:34 AM

I have a Mac, but Siril runs flawlessly. Yes, you first have to make a sequence and when you use a DSLR or color astro camera you should check 'Debayer' at loading the files (lights) before converting them to the FITS format.

And don't rely on keyboard shortcuts (in any app in any OS, not only Siril). These do not always work and are sometimes different which app you use. Even CMD+C / V does not always work on a Mac.

Another thing in Siril: why are the converted FITS not stored in the OS's temporary folders such as /tmp ? Now I have to remove them manually from my home folder as they take up tens of gigabytes of disk space, far more than the original .CR2 or whatever raw files. After saving (and converting the stacked proprietary FITS format to a generic readable format such as TIFF) I don't need these intermediate files anymore.

Edited by skysurfer, 16 January 2022 - 08:35 AM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics